Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #1  
life's a journey~

Height: 5'7

Angry Problems with Appetite

Hey ladies. How is everyone? I'm doing alright, I just was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do. I DO NOT GET HUNGRY UNTIL LATE EVENING EVERY DAY! I can ( and WILL) go all day until 7-8 pm without eating anything! This may sound stupid, but do you all think it has to do anything with my weight gain in the past couple of years? Should I force feed myself throughout the day?
Dalliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Happens to me all the time. What I do is try to eat something 90-100 calories every 4 hours (excluding breakfast which is usually 200-300), then keep good control over my dinner so I have anywhere from 100-300 leftover calories, depending on how/what I ate that day.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #3  

For some folks, this is actually how they lose weight. Check out the General Diets Plan section of the forum, and you'll see an "Eat Stop Eat" thread that discusses part-day fasting as a weight loss method.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #4  
flap flap

S/C/G: 120/115/105

Height: 5'3.5

Nothing wrong with it. Everyone's different.

That said- is your habit of waiting until the evening causing you to binge eat at night? Eating only at night wont lead to weight gain, but eating too much at any time of day certainly will. Do you just eat one meal a day, or do you start at 7 and continue to graze until midnight?
biplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #5  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I was going to tell you to check out the thread, but lin43 beat me to it.

I also agree with biplane's point, I notice if I don't eat enough during the day, I tend to overeat at night, or the next day to make up for it.

But really, even if you consume all of your calories in a small time frame, if you're not hungry, and it works for you, do it.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I get crazy cravings like that sometimes and I think it is related to my IR.

Have you been checked for insulin resistance?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Many people can eat an appropriate amount of calories in that small window of time, I didn't. I severely under-ate for years because of my lack of appetite and my body will never be the same.

In order to stop it, I had to START eating. I eat breakfast in the morning, and subsequently eat small meals/snacks every few hours. It helps keep my appetite strong, and I rarely miss a meal.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #8  
life's a journey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
For some folks, this is actually how they lose weight. Check out the General Diets Plan section of the forum, and you'll see an "Eat Stop Eat" thread that discusses part-day fasting as a weight loss method.
Thanks for pointing this out to me... I never heard of it before. I downloaded of copy of the book Eat Stop Eat, and it seems really interesting. I think I will try it for a week or two and see if it helps. I'm pretty heavy now, so I imagine any decrease in my overall calories will lead to some weight loss. Fasting from 6pm one day to 6 pm the next seems like a very doable plan for me. My problem is that I tend to take things overboard, and I'd be tempted to do it every other day instead of just the 1-2 as he recommends!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #9  
life's a journey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplane View Post
Nothing wrong with it. Everyone's different.

That said- is your habit of waiting until the evening causing you to binge eat at night? Eating only at night wont lead to weight gain, but eating too much at any time of day certainly will. Do you just eat one meal a day, or do you start at 7 and continue to graze until midnight?
I think it does cause me to binge at night. Part of the problem is watching late night tv by myself and wanting to snack all the while doing it. I feel like I have to constantly have something in my mouth or I get sort of panicky. I chew gum whenever I'm not eating, but maybe that's a different story as it's nicotine gum. I have given up smoking for about a year and switched over to Nicorette without any plans to give it up.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #10  
life's a journey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
I get crazy cravings like that sometimes and I think it is related to my IR.

Have you been checked for insulin resistance?

A.
Interesting... No, I haven't been checked for it. Honestly, I'm scared to death of getting poked by doctors. Even the thought makes my toes curl and gives me tunnel vision. Maybe it's a phobia, but I'd sooner go to a dentist, optometrist, chiropractor...any other sort of doctor than the one who will poke me with needles (even novacaine shots from the dentist pale in comparison...eeek!).
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #11  
life's a journey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Many people can eat an appropriate amount of calories in that small window of time, I didn't. I severely under-ate for years because of my lack of appetite and my body will never be the same.

In order to stop it, I had to START eating. I eat breakfast in the morning, and subsequently eat small meals/snacks every few hours. It helps keep my appetite strong, and I rarely miss a meal.
That's really good of you. I have had the problem that when I force myself to eat 3 square meals a day, at night I am so proud of myself that I reward myself with treats that mess it all up, leaving me to wish that I had not eaten the meals earlier at all.