South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #1  

Ok so i got through phase one very easily. and i actually enjoyed it. I didn't feel bloated after i ate i lost 3 inches everywhere and 3 lbs. I don't have a lot to lose so this very encouraging. mostly i am doing this diet to learn to eat better and lose my pregnancy weight. Now here is my question....i started phase 2 this week. I constantly feel bloated/full and i don't want to eat because of it. Thus starting back into old eating habits. and i have gained back my 3 lbs. i am following the diet plan in the book for phase 2 till i get used to it. Did anyone else experiance this after phase 1? Maybe i am doing something wrong. Didn't know where else to post this so i hope to get some feed back
thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #2  
Obsessive Poster

Hi Firefly,

I'm going to ask you a few questions. Depending on the answers, I might be able to tell you why you're feeling bloated:

What is your salt intake?
How much water are you drinking a day?
What are some examples of carbs you added?
Are you getting enough fibre?
Have you been drinking a lot of carbonated drinks?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #3  

all good questions let me answer this way.

In phase one after breakfast i felt satisfied i had an omelete or the mock french toast on those busy days i would do a shake with ricotta and soymilk and some unsweetened chocolate powder. but then i wanted to eat my snack usually 2 slices of LF turkey and a stick of LF cheese which held me over till lunch where i would have a salad with chicken. For dinner during the week a salad again cause it ws easy and for the weekend i ate some sort of meat with a salad and a veggie. 8 oz of water with everymeal.

Phase 2- Berry smoothie with a little slice of Orowheat whole grain bread with a little bit of SF jelly on top. Or the oatmeal pancakes. Feel full after that Mostly feel full and yucky after the slice of bread. skipping lunch and snacks because i hate feeling bloated. Try drinking water to see if that helps but it makes me more full. Dinner is a little hard since i work until midnight and don't get dinner until 8 or 9pm. So i have been eating out at Panda Express which is like a get it go chinese food place. Get the mixed veggies and the chk and mushrooms with a green tea. Wake up not hungery and still felling bloated and sick to my stomach.
had a 2 diet cokes this weekend.
Maybe more fiber?

Today went back to phase one eating....Feeling less bloated but still full. Hope this helps you help me. any suggestions are welcome and accepted wholeheartedly
Thank you
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #4  
Kyemom

Those fast food chinese places are loaded with sodium & MSG, plus skipping of meals, and not enough water...this could all be the explination for your feeling.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #5  
Obsessive Poster

You might need more fiber. You might also need more water . . .

Is it possible that you have a sensitivity to gluten or an undiagnosed allergy? Maybe you should try cutting out wheat, rye and barley. Just add fruits and maybe wild and brown rice for now and see if you feel better. If you do feel better, then you might want to look into gluten-free diets.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #6  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I agree with kyemom, those places are full of chemicals and hidden sugars. MSG and sodium are sure bets for feeling full and bloated. I think you also may have added too many carbs back at once. Why don't you try just adding in fruit for a week then add a grain every other day for a week. I know I have to be really careful about adding the starchy carbs back. Fruit usually isn't a problem for me though. It also could be just regular yo-yo's of the scale. You said you don't have much to lose so maybe you're body is just holding on to water. When your body burns fat it creates water and if you don't drink enough you may hold on to that water. Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #7  

Are you exercising at all? This might help, too.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #8  

Question Another thought..

Are you pre TOM or mid TOM? That always packs a couple of pounds on for me for almost a week.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #9  

Yeah your right pearshape eating out may be the key cause. I just figured it was veggies right?....guess not. :"> Winterwonder i will keep an eye out for how i feel after i eat the wheat and see if that isn't also a key factor. I think i will stick to Phase 1 eating for the rest of the week just to get my stomach back to not feeling so sick then i will reintroduce the carbs a little more slowly and be more careful about food choices,drink a little more water and yes i am pre TOM.hopefully next week meets with more success. Thanks everyone for the input i appreciate it.
Just a side note if anyone has any quick easy ideas for dinners in phase II that would be great.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #10  
Who needs sleep?

If you find you are reacting to the wheat, there are wheat-free breads and pastas made with spelt or other grains. You might give those a try, too. Where I live, you can just get them at the grocery stores, but depending on where in Cali you live, you may have to go to a health food store, order online, or drive some distance to find them.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:41 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Firefly, you might find the posts listed here helpful: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...791#post986791 Or maybe not. If anyone wants to post suggestions there, that would be great!

In regards to bloating, I'd think that it's a combo of you not feeling comfy with the type of starches you're eating and the msg and other ingredients in chinese food. I stay far away from Chinese when eating out because they add so many ingredients to everything and almost all sauces involved sugar, so it's hard to stay OP. Steamed veggies would be fine, but anything with a sauce would make me worry.

You definitely need more veggies...at LEAST 4.5 cups a day, hon. Try having a Phase 1 breakfast and add your starch in later in the day. Right now, with the smoothie, bread, and jam, you're eating something like 1 starch and 1.5 fruit in the morning. That's a lot to take! Try adding ONLY a fruit or one starch per day and try eating it at lunch or after. You might also benefit from having something that's not wheat based, like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Do not skip meals or snacks...pack them the day before if you have to, but make sure you get them!!!

There are tons of great P2 dinners out there...try some of the crock pot recipes to help you out. You might try making burgers with WW buns or a pizza on a WW pita or WW pizza crust. If you make some coleslaw, 3 bean salad, or other veggie side, the night before, you can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes. Is there anyone that can help you cook? If not, I'd do a huge cooking day on the weekend and freeze/refrigerate everything so you have lunches and dinners for the week.

Keep drinking that water, Firefly and I bet those 3 pounds will fly right off!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #12  

0Thanks Beachgal for all the suggestions and i will check out the link. Since being back on phase 1 i feel better and my appetite is back so i haven't been skipping the snacks or meals. And drinking that water. I guess phase 2 is going to be a little tricky and i will have to start slow. Gonna try again Monday and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #13  

Checked out the link thanks so much i think it'll really help for next week.
Closed Thread