Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

Default Anxiety question.

Ok, so my doctor prescribed me Celexa for Anxiety. It worked beautifully, but I ended up having some side-effects that I just couldn't deal with. I started having my period ever few days and started hallucinating. So I had to stop that. I was nervous about trying another SSRI or whatever, because that's what he thinks will work best, since it's more chronic than just every now and then anxiety. Well, I couldn't take the anxiety anymore after stopping Celexa, so I went to the doctor to see if I should try taking it again. He prescribed Prozac instead. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks or more. I feel like it's working a little bit, but nowhere near as well as Celexa did. I don't want to take a higher dosage, i'm on 10mg fluxotine (the generic brand) right now. I'm nervous to stop taking it though, because I don't want to have the anxiety again as fiercely as I did before. On a scale of 1 to 10, my anxiety without anything is a 10. With celexa it was a 0. With prozac it's like an 8. Does anyone else take any SSRI's for anxiety? Can you recommend anything to ask my doc about? I just can't see taking the prozac if it's not really working. I wish they made an anti-anxiety med, not an anti-depressent that helps with anxiety. It's like taking a medicine for a condition you don't even have.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I think that if this doctor is not helping you should see another doctor. Though I am far from knowing much about this, I think you need to do therapy alongside taking medication, because the ideal thing would be to heal so that some day you get to stop using the medication. Have you tried anything that will imply NOT taking medication but learning about how keep your anxiety in control?
Hope you feel better soon!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

I had a very hard childhood, so I did see a counselor for the better half of it. It really helped me, it kind of took my mind off of everything, because I got to talk about it, release every thought and every feeling and just move on from it. I'm glad you brought that up, I really don't know why I didn't think of it. I obviously need help sorting out my thoughts, because I can't think straight. :P I'm going to see about doing that I think. I don't even know why I started getting the anxiety that I'm getting. It's very strange to me. Maybe a therapist can help work it out of me.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #4  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Hey, sorry to hear about your troubles. I have no specific recommendations but I just wanted to remind everyone that antidepressant drugs like prozac (and paxil and lexapro, etc) take about 6 weeks to kick in. You might just want to give it some time before you decide that it isn't working.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #5  
Warrior Princess

They do make anti-anxiety meds - Xanax, Ativan, and Klonopin. I have been on anti-anxiety meds since 2009. Many psychiatrists like to prescribe anti-depressants because they treat the chemical imbalance, whereas anti-anxiety's only mask the symptoms. Many people take a combination of the two. I myself can't handle anti-depressants, they actually make my anxiety worse. I tried Celexa and my anxiety was off the charts...I just stick with anti-anxiety meds now and I'm much better. Prior, quality of life was very low.

Zoloft is the only FDA approved SSRI to treat anxiety, with that said that doesn't mean the others won't work. Since you're not happy with Celexa or Prozac maybe try Zoloft....keep in mind SSRI's take at least 6 weeks to work to full capacity. Maybe ask for Ativan to help you through until the Prozac works better. HTH.

Also, I hope you're seeing an actual Psychiatrist and not just a general MD.

Unfortunately I know way too much about this subject. Lol
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

When I first started on meds i was given ativan to take if needed before the cipralex kicked in. I was stubborn and didn't take it but I remember for the first 1 1/2 weeks of taking ONLY 5 mg of cipralex, I would have a full blown panic attack when I took the pill. I have now been on meds for a year and have just found the perfect dose of cipralex for me and am 99% anxiety free. The side effects do suck (loss of libido, sleepiness when first starting, nausea when first starting) but I am so glad I started on them. I am also able to start working with a therapist to figure out a game plan so I can wean off the meds sometime in the future!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote