Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #1  

Default No gym..so which exercise is good?

I really need to start moving more...I dont have a gym membership.

I wanna try the couch to 5k...but Im outta shape right now and just not ready for that...

I do walk at the park...not briskly just at my normal pace.

Just not often enough....I need more cardio exercise so that I can
shed some of the pounds!

Any thoughts or suggestions..please
abaaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/116/110

Height: 5'0

Youtube has tons of free at home workouts that don't require equpitment, just type in what kind of exercise you feel like doing (cardio dance, abs, legs, pilates kickboxing, etc) and you'll be able to search around for videos you like and you can make a playlist.

The couch to 5k would be great too, just stick with it.
kitkat2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

Walking has always been good for starters for me .... I like walking hills too ... can you find some hills to increase the intensity?.... or up and down steps .....
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I made up my own intervals working up to Couch to 5K because week one was too much for me at first. Just do what you can.

I'd advise you to try different things and just find what speaks to you. Variety helps keep it interesting and increases your odds of finding something you didn't know you'd enjoy (I had no idea I'd enjoy running). I'm not a huge fan of exercise DVDs but a lot of people on this site love them. You can check some out from the library for free! I also like bicycling when it's warmer. Bikes can be very expensive, but I just got a $100 Huffy from Walmart and it serves its purpose.

I also sometimes just make up my own workout class-like routine. I'll make a list X number of squats, X lunges, X crunches, X reverse crunches, hold a plank for X seconds, X suicides, X bicep curls, etc.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #5  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I just started C25k! I am 285 lb and not in "great" shape either! I do Taekwondo, and hit the elliptical but I wanted to try something else. So I am committing to the 9 weeks and will sign up and pay for a 5k on March 18.

I'll be honest, about 1/2 way through yesterday's workout (day 1), I was ready to quit. But I told myself, that when I was done, I could post it on FB that I finished day 1! I was so thrilled to see 15 comments & 12 likes, for it! It gave me just a bit more motivation to stick to it. But you have to do what you want to do.

I like Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs! Easy to do in your living room.
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote