Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default January Running - Do it in the new year!

Happy New Year Runners! Yes you are a RUNNER, I don't care if you run a mile or 10, if you run you're a runner!

So I'm kind of excited, I was the thread starter of every monthy running thread in 2011. I started running in early 2010 and found the 3FC running thread later that year. By 2011, I was the thread starter. I hope to continue the tradition through 2012.

My goals this year are:

March - LA Marathon
May - OC 1/2 Marathon
June - San Diego Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon (with the goal of breaking 2 hours)
October - Nike's Women's 1/2 Marathon
November - begin training for the Napa Valley Marathon.

And I'm hoping to run 1212 miles in 2012. It will be difficult, and a challenge to complete that many miles on a 3 day a week running program, and work, and family, etc., etc. But I have my year planned out and with minimal injury, illness or family drama, it is possible.

So what are your goals? A 5k, a mile, a 1/2 mile, a 1/2 marathon, a marathon? Weight loss, weight maintenance, overall fitness? Commit, share and support here! Have a great new year everyone and happy running!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

Today I have a 14 miler. I'm a little nervous about it because I didn't eat well the last two days and generally when I don't eat well my running suffers. This is something else I want to conquer this year. I have food issues...and even though I've maintained my loose for about 18 months, they are still there and a constant battle. Things are improving, but I'd like to see it move the next level.

I'm excited today because I get to try out my fuel belt and start experimenting with my fueling and hydration strategies. So that will be a challenge in itself.

Unfortunately, DH had to work the overnight shift and I won't be able to get out there until the afternoon and it's supposed to be 80 here today! So that's gonna be a challenge. The rest of the week is 6 on Wednesday and 6 on Friday, with my longest run ever of 16 miles next Sunday! Exciting stuff ahead!

Last edited by ncuneo; 01-01-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

This year, my running goals include a half marathon on March 31st to celebrate my one year of running and weight loss endeavors. Other than that, I just want to keep on keeping on and keep running.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #4  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I don't like running but it helps me to keep the weight off. As such, I am committing to run 3 miles a week. I know its small but thats what I can commit to at the moment. Maybe, just maybe, I will enjoy running and will be able to up my mileage.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Started the New Year off with my first ever 6 mile run! 1:07 - pretty slow, but I'm not too upset with this being my first time. My legs started to be a little sore the last 1/2 mile. I remember when my legs KILLED me running 3 miles. Onward and upwards!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #6  
Closet health nut!

14 miler yesterday was a little odd. The first 7 miles were awesome, but then something changed around mile 10 and the last 4 miles where pretty much pure torcher. I survived though and am ready to recover for next weeks 16 miler, which will officially be the longest distance I've ever run!

Yoga and core work today. I'm excited to add strength training back into my program, it's a key component I think I've really been missing.

Last edited by ncuneo; 01-02-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #7  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

I had a hit/ miss running year last year. I'm hoping to find my regular groove again. I'm signed up for a March 25 half and hopefully another in the end of May once registration opens. I'm going to check in often for a while to get the groove back.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #8  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Glad to find you again Ncuneo and see you started a new thread! I rested my It band and used Foam roller and bought the other roller.They both have been a great help. During my trip and rest SOMEHOW I strained sprained or something to my back and was just plain laid up until the 1st doing nothing!
I recieved a Garmin Forerunner 405 for Xmas {thought I was NEVER going to get to use it!} From my DH.I love it! So started running again on the 1st only ran 3.1 and alot of it fast walking. But the last 2 days have got my speed back up and have them under 11 min miles . So Hope tommarro I can do my 3.5course that I like to do.
I have a 5k next Sat. if I can get up to speed by then. And next month kicks up to a 10k. My goal is to do a 1/2 marathon this year but my MAIN goal is to stay healthy and injury free and get this excess weight that I put on this last year off. I turn 60 this year and am excited to have taken up running it gives me a great confidence.

Last edited by devadiva; 01-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #9  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

My 2012 running goals:

~run a sub-30 minute 5k
~run a 10k
~run a half marathon
~log at least 500 miles by Dec. 31

I want to run faster and longer, I want to lift more weights and get leaner. I want to firm and tone, and I want to continue to eat well to fuel the athlete that I am.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

ive been more of a lurker lately lol. I have a new BF who loves cooking and ive put on a little weight that im not trying to get off.... shouldnt that mean im more ACTIVE on the site??
NCUNEO
Seriously, i stop by the running boards often, and when i see someone with a question YOU CANT answer i jump in! By now youre a pro though, reallly....... youre doing so FANTASTIC and my runningh as been so CRAPTASTIC lately...... I will be sure to be more active on the thread, even if its just to post encouragement
you are a true inspiration (with the weightloss and how far youve come.......!) 16 miles is no different then 14, let me tell you. And if you can run 16, you can run 20 NO PROBLEM. At this point it is truly mind over matter... if you feel yourself getting tired (i know youve struggled lately on a few of your longer runs, towards the end) then you need to run them slower, if you can...... thats it really. You need to really start working with pre and during race supplementation at this point. Once you are running more than 15 miles, treat the day before like the day before the race.... eat higher carb, start experimenting with what works for YOU before and during a race/long run
I never carb up TOO much the day before a marathon but the morning of i ALWAYS have a slow digesting carb, high digesting carb, and fat and protein --> ALWAYS a bagel with peanut butter (slow carb and fat/protein) with banana slices onit, and drizzled in honey (SUGAR) Thats me, personally.
You need to make sure you are fueld BEFORE you are tired, KWIM? Start taking a running goo every half hour or so, up to every 45 minutes or so. I always take one EVERY 5 Miles... from my first to my last. ALWAYS stay hydrated (Fill up at EVERY drink station AND carry hydration) once you run out of energy or get dehydrated, its too late.

As for hydration packs (see, ive been reading) you need to expiriment. Do you have large hips? I do, and ive not been able to find a SINGLE waist belt that DOESNT PISS ME OFF. They are designed for men, i think, and always ride up, and dont stay put. Backpacks bounce around (maybe that doesnt bother you). I ALWAYS USE a hand held water bottle that straps around your wrist. I know it doesnt carry alot of water, but unless im trail running, im never too far from a gas station, park drinking fountain or restaraunt where i can refill, just like youll be able to do in the race.

do you listen to MUSIC WHILE YOU DO YOUR LONG RUN? this could be an issue also, if you do. The beat of the music might be making you run just a little faster than you should be.
i ALWAYS listen to audio books or podcasts on my long-runs. It helps me slow down, and zone out and enjoy myself.........

Also, the Napa Valley Marathon? If its the one im thinking of, ive HEARD its a very difficult marathon, but absolutely breathtaking Congratulations!

Last edited by mkroyer; 01-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

SGeranium-- im right there with you on the Hit or miss with running lately..... i really need to find my groove again...... i love myself as a runner, and i havent been doing it lately, at least not consistently.
fOR 2012 I WANT TO:
Find my running groove (specifically, get back into a training plan, whether it be in prep for a race, to develope speed, distance, whatever)
Do at least one full marathon.
Win a 10K (thats always motivating, haha)
Train for and run with my BF in HIS FIRST ever Half -marathon or other organized race.
I want a sub 1:44 half......

In the back is ALWAYS QUALIFYING for Boston....... dont know yet if this is the year, or not though
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

Beck-- faster and longer are two different goals (good for you!) My point is, they can require two diffwerent types of training. If you train for a half mary, you will be training to run longer, in and of itself, but there are special types of training and techniques you can utilize to improve your SPEED--> and im not talking about running intervals (let me know if you want some specific ideas ive used to terain for (and win) races. ALOT of speed is mind over matter (read my siggy) "Get comfortable being uncomfortable" as soon as you realize you CAN do it, you will, i dont know how else to explain it. i SAY go out there and RUN 3 miles in under 30... easier said than done, right? Do something different. Warm up on your favorite course with some strides at a faster than normal pace for you ( your GOAL pace (say, a 9:30 min/mile). and when you press start on your garmin, just GO! Start out at that 9:30 and keep pushing yourself at that pace as long as you can, or start even faster... whats the worse that will happen? You willburn out earlier on your training run, and have to slow down or walk alittle, but you may STILL come in under 30 even then... OR< you will finally burst through that mental wall that says you CANT run that fast, you will find out you can, you will be uncomfortable, and you will live, and make your goal, and never look back or be afraid of going fast again

Last edited by mkroyer; 01-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #13  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

I LOVE reading this thread!
Ok, so last year I was so caught up in losing my last 8 lbs and running was hindering that process, so I slacked up aLOT, but remained at my plateau--even now, still there.

Ncuneo: I've told you before what an inspiration you are to me, and I'll say it again! I have enjoyed your thoughts, motivation, suggestions, and friendship over the past few months. Thank you

Well, over the holidays, our head nurse asked me seriously to run the Nashville Country Music 1/2 Marathon with her! I was excited and nervous all at the same time. But, after missing the deadline to run in the Memphis race (too many people signed up), I really didn't want to wait a whole year to run! The race is April 28.
This is my second time to train for a 1/2. The first time was 2 yrs ago. I have back injury from work from about 5 yrs ago and training caused me to re-injure my lower back. This time, I will NOT be the first one out of the chute! I have really learned the value of running at a slower pace as to not re-injure myself.
The longest race I've done is 10K--2 yrs ago.

I would say since weight loss isn't the main focus atm for me, I can focus all of my energy on running. It does make me gain weight (water mostly), but I have been where I am since July (weight-wise) & have become familiar with my appearance. Although, I will not say I am comfortable with it. I am clearly NOT!

Right now, I am using the Hal Higdon Novice Training schedule. It is pretty basic & easy to follow. I have a 4-miler on Friday, which I am looking forward to running. The only challenge here is the weather. In the south, the cold and the heat are not the same as in other parts of the country. We typically have wet cold and wet heat, which makes for a steam room in the summer and an igloo under water in the winter. Also, it has been extremely windy here lately. Therefore, we have "wind chill" temps (what it feels like with the wind, a lower temp than the actual temp). We also have humidity temps (what it feels like versus what the temp actually is; a higher temp than the actual temp).
Needless to say, it is very cold to run outside. However, I just add a few layers and sport my ski goggles. I look a sight, I'm sure!!
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

mkroyer: Just curious - don't you feel the need to do a slower warm up jog at first? I find I am super prone to injury if I start off too fast, even now, I've been jogging/running steadily for ca. 3 years. I have to intentionally pace myself at the beginning.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

K9Owner: The only time I gained weight while running was in the beginning. In the beginning, my hunger from running was extreme! In fact, it was an emergency!

Now I find, since my body has become more accustomed to it, that running doesn't influence my hunger much. If anything, the hour I am out running keeps me from eating!

I was experimenting with longer distances (10-12 miles), but found, at the moment, I rather prefer to do ca. 5 miles x 5-6 per week. Anyway - it doesn't leave me famished, just refreshed.

Good luck on your 1/2 marathon!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote