Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Beachbody workouts

Is anyone on IP (at least that reads this post) doing any of the Beachbody workouts...Slim in 6, Insanity, P90, P90X, Yoga Booty Ballet, etc??? I have most of the workouts but am worried about starting one...worried that they might be too intense.

I am feeling flabby and have 15 pounds to go. I really want to tone up...and still get these last 15 off.

Maybe I should just run...or walk...

Help!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 139/124/125

Height: 5" 4"

Default Insanity

I guess I am not sure what you mean by "too intense" for IP. I did the insanity workouts prior to starting IP. I didn't do them during because I got bored doing them over and over. I worked out 5-7x/week the whole time on IP and it didn't mess anything up- I think it only matters in the first couple weeks when you are getting into ketosis. Good luck!
fowegrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #3  
back on track

S/C/G: 175/175/135-145

Height: 5'6.5"

Smile

I am in the same boat! I have the PX90 and Insanity beachbody workouts. With all this extra energy IP has given me, I feel so motivated to start one up, but my coach said absolutely no. He heavily emphasized this too (not in a mean way though). He said to wait because the standard IPD has such a lowww caloric count that you would be starving your muscles and instead of burning off fat, your body would feed/burn off your muscles instead (eeeek!), because it's too much for your system to take at once. Your muscles can't tone/grow when they aren't given enough fuel, so they just end up taking from themselves, which = zero progress. It's like driving a car across the U.S. on an ounce of gas. He said if I get really restless about it, then let him know, because it would REQUIRE an increase in calories to do IP simultaneously with a heavy workout, ESPECIALLY a beachbody bootcamp style workout such as those listed. He was very specific about this and has told me this even more in depth every week. Haha I finally told him I get that he's serious and I'll just wait! He also explained that the two programs combined, is too restrictive for your body, so it will definitely impede your success. My family is filled with a TON of health gurus, ranging from personal trainers to nutritionists to physical therapists to other doc/healthcare specialties, and they allll 110% hands down agreed with my IP coach and also unanimously drilled in that it would be extremely unhealthy to join the two programs without increasing my daily calories, because it would cause my system to enter the dangerous starvation mode (another eeeek!). When this happens it's counterintuitive in a sense (not for the body, but for the individuals intention of working out)...because instead of burning off the extra fat to speed things up, your body actually intentionally locks onto and intentionally stores all current fat plus anything and everything (food or drink) you consume. It does this to guarantee an energy source for survival, because in starvation mode your body thinks it's dying. This might be common sense to some people reading this, but I am just trying to help out those who may not have been told this before.

Buuuttt he did suggest brisk walking. I haven't asked about this yet, but I think light weights would possibly be alright (like the 5-8 lbs range). You can get a lot of good exercise ideas from magazine websites- such as fitnessmagazine.com, womenshealthmag.com, etc...or even picking up a health magazine in a store! They usually explain form and reps pretty clearly. Also, I'm sure a medicine ball for abs would be alright.

Oh, and the ab lounge works wonders! I used to be very into fitness prior to the accident that led to my weight gain and hands down the ab lounge was one of my top fav pieces of equipment- major results, even when I had phases of low cardio! I am positive that would be alright in conjunction with IP because it's not 'high intensity'.

I just had another thought...you could call into a local gym for some quick weight lifting tips (light weights of course)...they may even offer an orientation course.

Isometrics and resistance bands are great too- also very affordable! If you google 'isometrics' you'll find a bunch of wonderful toning exercises. That's the kind of strength training pro athletes and military branches use a lot, since isometrics use your own body mass to increase strength/tone without gaining weight.

If you have anymore questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask! I was actually going to post a similar thread about beachbody workouts- I am so glad I came across yours first!

Edit:
I just thought of another good example this morning...do you still have any of the nutrition plan books that come with those workouts? Look at how high they up your daily calorie intake while doing the workout- even if you choose the weight loss meal plan. Correct me if I am wrong, which I may very well be, but I believe IP is around 1/3 of that daily caloric intake plan. Yikes!

Last edited by April2Joy; 11-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.
April2Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #4  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I am not doing them now, but I did try a few months ago. I was doing Turbo Fire mix with Zumba. It was too much. My weight loss stalled. I was burning more calories than I was taking in. I agree with what the April said. It's too much.

Right now I am doing Walk Away the Pounds and Callanetics. My body seems to love that. I do about 15-30 minutes of WATP and 45 of Callanetics. HTH
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

I've been doing moderate cardio throughout my IP journey, a few weeks ago I decided to do P90X, I did it for a week. A did have the energy to do the workouts until I got a cold at the end of the week. As far as weight loss, it completely stalled me, I didn't lose anything that week. At first I thought I was just retaining water in my sore muscles, but if that were the case I would have lost more the following week after I stopped doing it, and I didn't. So my conclusion was that I had gone into starvation mode.

I really loved P90x and planned on doing it once I'm done with IP.

I would say, if this workout is something new for you, you might want to try something less intense while you're doing IP

Last edited by Gika; 11-17-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #6  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

I would stay away from the P90X and the Insanity. They are way too intense for this program in the first two phases. Even if you were doing them prior to IP, you really need to scale back. I have done the YBB and Slim in 6. I personally see nothing wrong with these programs but only if you were acclimated to them prior to IP. Always consume additional protein before or after any sort of exercise that gets your heart rate elevated. Walking and stretching should be adequate for those not used to any sort of exercise.....remember our bodies were designed to move. Movement and exercise will be your friends in maintenance and your body will thank you for your efforts!
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #7  

I did Insanity last time I lost 25 pounds and I would have to say it's way too intense for this diet. (Not to mention it gets old fast but that's a whole other can of worms.) I also have Turbo Jam (I think those are Beachbody also.) and would love to use those again but I just don't think it would be good until at least phase 3. I tried Jillian Michael's yoga dvd a few months ago and even that made me dizzy so I've been laying low.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/175.5/165

Height: 5'8"

April2Joy, thank you so much for posting that info - for the first time I finally understand why we're not supposed to work out. It was never really made clear to me and when people ask me if I'm exercising too and I say no, they want to know why - I've never been able to give them an answer!

That totally makes sense. I joined a gym with a local Groupon that was offered last week - but haven't gone yet. Good thing! I'm not ready to stall with only 5 weeks left to go...
RedheadedGardenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/171/152

Height: 5'5

In my opinion, P90X is a good choice is you want to tone up. My brother uses it and he enjoys it very much. P90X just wasn't for me so I do the Insanity workout and love them! But I think Insanity is better for fat burning.
Good luck!
I believe in you!
Tessa
tessilette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #10  
back on track

S/C/G: 175/175/135-145

Height: 5'6.5"

Thumbs up

RedheadedGardenLady- I am so glad I could help! I have had many people asking me about if I am working out and why not as well. Having that info really helps me see my whole system in a completely different light. I think the human body is pretty fascinating!
April2Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Looks like I am going to be in the minority here, but I say DO THEM! I have done Crossfit 4-5x per week and run 1-2x per week the ENTIRE time I have been on IP, and my energy during workouts has never been better. The first few weeks were tough and I scaled my workouts accordingly, but after that, I have been flying through them. Oh, and Crossfit is a VERY intense workout, like P90X or Insanity.

In the past I have done Slim in 6 and the series that followed that and I say they are no where near as intense as what I have been doing through my entire journey. I am also a firm believer in exercise having played a major part in the way my body has changed on this diet. My muscles are so toned and tight now. The only "flab" I have left is in my stomach, but that has always been my problem area, but it is not anywhere near as bad as it would be if I didn't work out.

I say, do it. Just make sure you add in (1) extra protein packet immediately after working out.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #12  

Jenny, do I need to add an extra packet with the first week of Slim in Six? That first week is only 20 mins of primarily lunges, squats, etc and not all that intense...although I am sure it will be a bit painful!!! You look AWESOME and I love hearing a different side of the story!!!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #13  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

It will slow down your weight loss, probably significantly, so just factor that in.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #14  

Okay, so since I am so anxious to hit my goal by Christmas as I am taking my daughter to NYC over Christmas and do not want to have to be controlled by my packets, I think I am just going to walk until I get to my goal.

I am wondering if I did a light jog for maybe 15 mins a few times a week if that would help get to the goal quicker...or slow it down.

I also am wondering if I am just walking which I consider really low intensity, if I still need an extra packet?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

brandi
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpnme View Post
Jenny, do I need to add an extra packet with the first week of Slim in Six? That first week is only 20 mins of primarily lunges, squats, etc and not all that intense...although I am sure it will be a bit painful!!! You look AWESOME and I love hearing a different side of the story!!!
Nah, not the first week. Once you start in the the 2nd & 3rd workout, I would add the packet.

Also, you never really know if it will slow your losses down or not unless you try it and see what happens. But in my view, isn't the whole point of doing IP to lose and AND be healthy? Even if it slows down your weight loss a little bit, you will be creating a healthy habit that you can continue for the rest of your life. You are not going to be on IP for the rest of your life. I say ride the momentum.

If you are motivated to work out NOW, then start NOW. Not to mention that you will probably start dropping inches like mad. And for me, it was all about sizes and how I looked. It was never really about reaching the "elusive" goal weight. As long as I like what I see in the mirror and feel good and am wearing sizes I feel comfortable it, then does it really matter if I weigh 130 or 135? Absolutely not. And I know, that I would not be in 2's and 4's at my current weight without exercise.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote