Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Question Any ideas for night binging??

I know theres a "chicks in control" section but I thought this would better serve me here.

Basically I do REALLY GOOD during the day. I eat my meals that I kind of plan out during the day and I drink my water but then everyday I go to work from 2 to 7 (sometimes 12-7 with a 30 minute lunch) . i work at a pretty busy bank so theres little time to stop and eat something so if I bring food to work its quick little snacks I can stuff into my mouth when the lobby is empty.
The thing is when I get home from work Im practically ravinous with about 400-500 calories to spare (I calorie count but Im not strict. I estimate and try to keep myself at 1200-1400)
I'll come home and I'll just eat. Not to the point of sickness but to the point of uncomfortably full and then I realize Ive gone OVER my calorie limit by usually alot. Its worse if ive had a stressful day or I have essays or school work I need to get done.

Ive tried eating a late lunch (like right before 2) and snacking but when I get home I get into relax mode and I eat. I've felt Ive done good so far on my weight loss journey but now I feel like Im not going to PROGRESS at all unless I find a way to beat this.

Anyway, basically what Im asking is what helps you beat the nightly munchies? Any ideas or suggestions??
hilariousness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

Honestly? I log every calorie. I use myfitnesspal so that makes it a lot easier since they pretty much have every food ever in their database. Once I actually SEE the numbers....I don't want to go over. Logging has been so helpful in fact, that when I do want a treat I will go workout first...log the workout, and then enjoy whatever treat I worked for. Been using myfitnesspal for almost a month now and I really love it and can't recommend it enough.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Maybe you can drink something (non caloric) on your way home and that may make you feel fuller and more in control. Also, perhaps have a veggie salad that's already pre chopped so you don't have to give it much thought. Fill up on that and try to have some veggie soup ready. The more liquids the more full you'll feel. Once you've eaten your allotted calories, just chew gum and try to distract yourself and get away from the kitchen.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

Paint your nails!! Can't eat when your nails are wet!
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #5  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

I usually eat a small portion of what I'm craving with a few healthier things mixed in. Drinking water helps a lot too if you want to avoid late night cravings.
Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5

I'm trying having a cutoff time where I absolutely can not eat after a certain time
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #7  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

How long are your breaks at the bank?
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #8  
Harwell

S/C/G: 211/198/135

TIP #1 Try keeping those foods/meals that your know you will over eat with, out of the house!

TIP #2 When you start eating your meal set a timer on the kitchen stove for 10 minuets (or however long it takes you to eat your meal) so that you have to get up away from the table (or wherever you eat) to turn the alarm off and get yourself away from the situation so you have time to tell yourself not to eat anymore.

TIP #3 Depending on what or when you made dinner freeze the leftover portion so you cant heat it up without consciously putting it in the microwave to thaw/cook it. Even if freezing it doesn't help, waiting in-front of the microwave for it warm might give you time to talk yourself out of eating more! If you don't freeze your meals, at least put what you shouldn't be eating away.

Goodluck!!! you will over come this!
NadineMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #9  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Have a low calorie protein shake before you leave work so that you are not ravenous, and also maybe consider upping your calories as you are obviously feeling too restricted and its causing you to binge, I do the same! on about 1900 I find that yes the weight loss is slower but I'm not in a constant binge cycle because I've got enough calories to sustain my hunger!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

#1 - I eat a snack before going home. Sometimes I even eat it in the car if I have to.

#2 - I know what I'm eating for dinner already before the day starts. Most of the time it's cooked, portioned, and frozen and all I have to do is heat it up.

#3 - I chew gum before I walk in the door to my house, and if I'm really hungry, I finish up whatever I need to do to get my food ready and I will not throw out my gum until I'm sitting and ready to eat my dinner.

#4 - I make sure to drink at least one full bottle of water while I'm sitting with my meal. This makes me eat slower and acknowledge my hunger/fullness signals.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I used to try to "log" everything before I ate it, but let's face it, we're not ALWAYS near our computers. I sit in front of a screen all day, sometimes I come home and I want to be as far away from technology as possible. I was never very "strict" either - I always stayed between a range, like you do.

I usually eat in the car on the way to the gym - usually a small protein bar - and then I have a snack for myself on my way home from the gym (veggies or something). Then I usually chew gum while I'm cooking dinner, because it gives me something to do and keeps me from stuffing my face.

Once I eat dinner, if I'm still feeling hungry, I drink about a liter of water - sometimes when we think that we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. If I'm still hungry an hour after that, I have a small snack.

I don't believe in telling myself I can't eat after a certain point in time - your metabolism is running 24 hours a day, it doesn't matter if you eat right before you go to sleep. Last night I got home (about midnight) and was STARVING, so I had a piece of light string cheese - if I didn't have a little something, I would have woken up STARVING and then had a larger breakfast than I needed.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/180/145

Riestrella: well when I work 2-7 there really are no breaks its just whenever we have down time. some days its very slow so I have time to eat snacks and I dont get as stressed and sometimes we are swamped and shorthanded so there is no time to step away from the teller line. usually its in between. were a pretty busy branch.

I think Ive gotten some GOOD suggestions from all of you. I dont struggle everyday with this but its often enough. Im one to stress eat and BOY DID I EAT last night haha. It doesnt help when your family decides they want mcdonalds and bring some home for you.

thanks for all the suggestions so far!! Im already feeling more motivated to do good tonight haha.
hilariousness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 259/227/175

Height: 5"10

I generally cook big batches of food, portion them out and freeze them.eg chilli and small amount of rice, I know appox how many calories are in each, and they are pretty quick to stick in the microwave and heat up. I work til 10 some nights and get home starving! Ill stick my meal in the microwave, and by the time im washed and changed its done.
Oh and i alway have a sugar free jelly made up in the fridge, good for the sweet craving and really fills me up.

x
chazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I would say eat a lunch right before going to work every day that you know will keep you full if you don't have an opportunity to snack - something with a lot of fat, protein, and fiber. I also second others' suggestions of tracking more precisely and planning out what you'll eat for dinner ahead of time.

Once you have eaten what you planned for dinner, brush your teeth so you'll be less likely to keep eating. Or leave your home/get in bed/be somewhere that you don't normally eat.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

This might or might not help, but it was something that someone brought up in a weight watcher meeting that really helped a lot of people.

You don't have to start your count in the morning. You can pick a time, say 5 pm, and that can be when you start over your calorie count. That way you know that if you eat all of your calories that night, you won't have any until 5 the next day. It's a mind trick really, but it makes sense. It obviously requires you to stick to your calories and obviously don't starve yourself.

I also think picking a cutoff time and brushing your teeth is a good idea.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote