Weight Loss Support - Vitamins

View Full Version : Vitamins

PreciousMissy
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Before I started my weight loss I was taking a multi-vitamin. When I started counting calories I added in a calcium supplement since I wasn't eating as much dairy. I have just added in a vitamin B complex.

Last night I was comparing vitamin amounts between the three bottles and was surprised to see that I am getting 10%-1200% on various nutrients, not to count that I am eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.

I guess my question is, what vitamins are you taking?

Panacea86
09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I take:
A skin, hair, and nails complex (biotin, collagen, a few other things)
Prenatal vitamins
B complex
Calcium +D

Michi702
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I take a gummy multivitamin and that's pretty much it. I feel like I get enough of most other nutrients through eating, but interestingly enough I have a friend who's studying to be a nutritionist and he was saying how that 100% of most vitamins/minerals/etc is the bare minimum amount you can have and that you should aim for more than 100% on most. But you do have to be careful because some fat soluble vitamins I've read that you can have too much of and they cause adverse effects.

Rana
09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Vitamin D3
Super B complex (bunch of B vitamins)
Vitamin C
Multivitamin made of whole foods
Fish Oil capsules
Cranberry pills
Chromiun polynicolinate
Magnesium
Glucosamin + Chrondrotin

I look like a freak with all my vitamins, but I feel great when I take them.

Mimzzy
09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I am a vitamin pig lol I take
Omega 3
Vitamin D
One a day women multivitamin
Acidophiles supplement (prone to yeast infections :()
Jamieson Vita-Slim (Just started)

My boyfriend thinks I'm ridiculous but I swear that when I don't take my vitamins I feel sluggish and tired all day.

runningfromfat
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm taking a prenatal multivitamin+DHA. I've heard that DHA can help with maintenance and leptin levels, I have no clue if that's true or not, though. However, we want to TTC soon so it's an obvious choice because of that. ;)

PreciousMissy
09-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I've also noticed since I started taking vitamins my mood is better, I have a little more pep in my step, and I don't have acne break-outs like I use to!

megmix
09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only supplement junkie! I take: fish oil, evening primrose oil, vitamin d, vitamin e, prenatal multi-vitamin, kelp, red raspberry leaf extract, magnesium, calcium, alpha lipoic acid and MSM. Truth be told, I don't notice a difference if I skip a day or two, but I used to feel much worse before I started.

JohnP
09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I used to take a bunch of supplements. Now I don't.

I don't feel any different without them. YMMV.

Now I only take fish oil pills.

April Snow
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
I take Alive! ultra potency multi vitamins, calcium/magnesium/potassium, glucosamine/chondroitin (that one makes a huge difference for me for joint pain), fish oil, and iron supplements (under a doctor's supervision, that is not something you should really take on your own without blood work confirming you need it).

How much any of it really does, who knows, but I feel better when I take them. And even if it's just a placebo effect, I'm willing to pay for that! lol!

fatferretfanatic
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Now, I take a multi vitamin, calcium supplements, 2 fish oils, a garlic supplement, and magnesium. The Fish Oil probably helps the most, really.

summershine
09-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a question for all you supplement junkies :P

How do you swallow all those vitamins??? I'm not taking any at the moment (though i have jar of multis and another if fish oil silently judging me from the kitchen), but the thought of swallowing one of them, let alone the 4+ that people recommend, makes me want to gag.

Anyone got any tips? :)

toastedsmoke
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I take WellWoman 1-a-day multivitamins, cod liver oil and a garlic pill every single day. Sometimes, I also take L-Carnitine but since it's not mine/I'm not the one that buys it, I tend not to take it everyday.

I can't say I notice that much of a difference between when I take my vitamins and when I don't, but I don't think I always get all my nutrients with food and I HAVE seen other people (my parents for instance) reap benefits so I'll continue to take them.

steinanwine
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I take a 1 day multi vitamin for woman for metabolism and bone/breast health.

I've been wanting to take more. There is already a lot of Vitamin D in it but I want to take more for hair/nails. Is there such a thing as too much Vitamin D if I get a Vitamin D Supplement?

I also want to take a Fish Oil supplement - is it true that it can make your breath smell/taste fishy??

PearlElizabeth
09-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Right now I'm only taking a multi, vit D, and a vit C.... I have a big shopping list of supplements I wanna pick up though!
Including.... :
B Vitamin Supplement
Biotin
Omega 3-6-9
L-Carnitine
Calcium

Gabe
09-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I take one multiple-vitamin, and that's mostly for insurance. I mean, I'm usually pretty good, but I also have my days where lunch is a bag of beef jerky, you know? It's nice to know I'm covered. I take it in the morning with my Zyrtec; that's absolutely essential, as I'm prone to a bit of allergic asthma if I don't.

My mom, on the other hand, is a supplementin' fiend. Guess it's not genetic.

Horo
09-16-2011, 02:47 AM
I just take a multivitamin(with iron) and calcium + vitamin D.

toastedsmoke
09-16-2011, 07:53 AM
@Gabe

My parents are supplementing fiends as well, sooooo many pills for a well person! Anyway I was going to say my dad swears by CoQ10 supplements for his allergic asthma symptoms. I've noticed he's a lot better and no longer on the daily Zirtec (as it's spelled here) but he takes a lot of supplements so it could be anything, though he insists it's the CoQ10.

khat
09-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh my.. I don't take any supplements.. Maybe some Mg if I exercise a lot or have PMS cramping..
Now I feel like I should.. I always thought vitamins from a variety of fresh foods is better than suplements?!?

PreciousMissy
09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a question for all you supplement junkies :P

How do you swallow all those vitamins??? I'm not taking any at the moment (though i have jar of multis and another if fish oil silently judging me from the kitchen), but the thought of swallowing one of them, let alone the 4+ that people recommend, makes me want to gag.

Anyone got any tips? :)

You could try a vitamin chewable. They're not just for kids anymore ;). I was at the store yesterday and noticed that they had a variety of adult potency in gummy vitamins.

PreciousMissy
09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh my.. I don't take any supplements.. Maybe some Mg if I exercise a lot or have PMS cramping..
Now I feel like I should.. I always thought vitamins from a variety of fresh foods is better than suplements?!?

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits, but I'm not sure I could get everything that (I think) my body needs within a days worth of eating.

Munchy
09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
In the am:
Food based Multivitamin
Lysine
Echinacea
Probiotic
B-12
Buffered vitamin C
D-3

At night:
Lysine
Echinacea
Probiotic
Calcium
2 fish oil

Aileen
09-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I think vitamins and minerals are really important. I take the following:

VitaSlim Multivitamin
Vitamin B50 complex
Vitamin A
CLA (2/day with lunch and dinner)
Omega 3, 6, 9
Zinc
Magnesium
Niacin (2-3 with dinner)

I also add vitamin C and D in the winter months.

gort
09-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I take a b complex , and fish oil . They say that these two are good for your heart.

CyndiM
09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Well, I'm 50 and my doctor just ran just about every blood test known to human kind (new doc, making sure everything is good after all the weight loss, and family history of heart stuff). Every test is perfect and not just "for someone my age". I take Vitamin D daily. that's it, no other vitamins and, happily, no prescriptions. If you are concerned about getting enough from your diet why not use a tracker for a couple of weeks and see how the numbers look before adding in a lot of supplements?

wickedlady
09-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Omega 3
Multivitamin
B-complex
vitamin C

Sued1971
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I just started supplementing again. I Have to throw out old bottles of vitamins. I just got a regular daily vitamin for women and fiber supplements. I will probably add a vitamin D and mag as well as a calcium supplement. I got scared off from supplementing a while ago because of mysterious bruising. Turned out it was too much vitamin E! I am cautious about b6 and E. I am trying to move towards a more whole food type diet, so as I learn more about that, I will probably adjust my "one a day "vitamin.

Panacea86
09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm a believer in food for vitamins, the supplements I take are for hair loss :( it just pours out, so I take the B, Hair/Skin/Nails and Prenatals to try to stop it. Doesn't work :P

I take the calcium because I've gone dairy free (a trial run) for my PCOS.

Otherwise, the food should do it for me.

Baicane
09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
GNC Women's Ultra Mega Multivitamin
Omega 3-6-9