UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/188/160

Height: 5 ft 8 in

Default Do you make the decision to be healthy every, single day?

Hi i'm fairly new here and I just wanted to share some thoughts on the journey of losing weight. I have posted in the Introductions section which should explain my back story a little better.

What I was wondering is whether any one else has to make the decision EVERY DAY to eat healthily and work out? Every morning when I wake up I have to actually say in my head "Right, today you are going to eat healthily, track your calories and work out" or something to that effect. I find that if I don't I forget to track what I eat and before I know it i'm eating over my calorie allowance.

I have been losing and regaining the same few pounds for around a year now and I have realised that it is because I stopped subconsciously making the decision to work at it. As I had lost over 50 pounds I became complacent and thought "Hey, i've done well so far so it must come naturally now right?" But, for me, it does not come naturally. It is decision that I have to make. Since I began making this decision again every day I have already lost a few pounds and intend to continue.

Sorry if that is a bit rambly or doesn't make sense Does any one else have a similar thought process?
Angelanne666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #2  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Absolutley! I have to think each day at a time!! If i think about the longer picture I get anxious and disheartened so all of my decisions are 100% focused on today!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #3  

I think that Blondie160 is completely right you have to make small steps to achieve your ultimate goals. And i know you are not alone when you have to think about your diet and exercise habits everyday in order to stay on track. Try to set yourself a goal every week and focus on that particular goal. It has to be something that you can achieve within the week. Write it down and post it up anywhere you will see it, e.g. fridge, bathroom mirror etc.

Permanent weight loss is about making small changes to your lifestyle, so eventually all these 'new, good habits' will become a part of your everyday life!
ClaireHampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Something that makes me keep the healthy lifestyle switch on is weighing myself a few times a week. I sometimes do it daily but that can be tough because you might gain .1 or .2 and then after a few days you'll be down a whole pound out of nowhere. Naturally weight fluctuates for a number of reasons, but if you're on plan then you should be losing in the long run.

Don't be discouraged that you don't automatically go into 'healthy mode' after losing a certain amount of pounds. Take me for example - I have ~21 years of bad habits to make up for, so even if I've been doing fabulous for a month or two and feel like I could stop focusing on it so much, if I don't weigh myself regularly and have that reality check then I regain my losses. It really sucked being down almost 15 pounds this Spring and then having it all come back with a vengeance but now I realize that I have to be on top of my game more.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireHampson View Post
I think that Blondie160 is completely right you have to make small steps to achieve your ultimate goals. And i know you are not alone when you have to think about your diet and exercise habits everyday in order to stay on track. Try to set yourself a goal every week and focus on that particular goal. It has to be something that you can achieve within the week. Write it down and post it up anywhere you will see it, e.g. fridge, bathroom mirror etc.

Permanent weight loss is about making small changes to your lifestyle, so eventually all these 'new, good habits' will become a part of your everyday life!
Hi Clare ! How much have you lost ? What diet are you on? What is your goal weight?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #6  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I believe making the conscious effort every single day when you get up to remember that you are eating healthy, counting, and exercising, is what separates the long-term maintainers from those who gain it all back.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/188/160

Height: 5 ft 8 in

Thank you milmin2043. I've never really thought of it that way but I think that's a great way of looking at it.
Angelanne666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

I am the same. Consciously focusing my mind on what I am eating and what I am doing is the only way I can make it. I keep a food diary and if I start being complacent I see my calorie count go right up !
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

I have to remind myself several times a day why im better off without that bit of cake/bar of chocolate etc
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/182/150

Height: 5"9

You're so right! I've only been dieting for 2 weeks but I have to make sure, each day, that I make that conscious desicision to stay on track with my diet. I always find that the hardest part is just waking up when you want to eat 6 crumpets and some sugary tea. I make sure I shower and get myself dressed before I think about food so firstly my brain wakes up and then I think about how nice it would be to not have to squeeze myself into my jeans!
beckkyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #11  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckkyk View Post
You're so right! I've only been dieting for 2 weeks but I have to make sure, each day, that I make that conscious desicision to stay on track with my diet. I always find that the hardest part is just waking up when you want to eat 6 crumpets and some sugary tea. I make sure I shower and get myself dressed before I think about food so firstly my brain wakes up and then I think about how nice it would be to not have to squeeze myself into my jeans!
this just made me LOL, how British!! That is my initial morning thought too!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/182/150

Height: 5"9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie160 View Post
this just made me LOL, how British!! That is my initial morning thought too!
I was going to mention scones, fish and chips and eel pie but thought better of it
beckkyk is offline   Reply With Quote