Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/279/160

Height: 5'7''

Default The McDonalds Addiction and Other Ramblings

Okay, so like many of my past weight loss journeys and my current one (which is a permanent lifestyle change) McDonalds is my downfall. I've been eating healthy and good portions for the past week, but after school today I ended up at the golden arches ordering a large sweet tea & 20 piece nuggets...I don't even know how I end up there in the first place?! Even after eating it, I'm not even full and so angry at myself for doing that to myself!
I was wondering does anyone else struggle with an addiction like this? How do you get through it?! I am so sick of !my over eating controlling my life!
On another note, this week has been particularly difficult...I have a wedding to attend on Saturday so I had to go dress shopping. I also went to my friends' bachelorette party last Saturday, I definitely had fun but it's hard to explain how you feel when all of these ladies are fit and lovely, I feel like I have to automatically hide myself. eh. Sorry I'm really not trying to whine and probably didn't do a sufficient enough job explaining my feelings, so I apologize. I'm hoping that someone who reads this post will understand where I'm coming from, I guess I just need some help/motivation.
sterbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/218/160

Height: 5'7

I have this problem badly! My worst downfall is that I have a well meaning co-worker that keeps a basket of candy to share. I just can't help myself... and next thing I know I've downed more that few handfuls I tell my self "Just a small peice", but it never ends up that way.
Go away fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #3  

The candy bowl! Dang, my best friend will bring 'snacks' when she visits and I end up eating everything I just don't know what to do! Maybe I should start making a small goal each day I wake up, not to binge on a certain item or something?! gah!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #4  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

Wellllll....i understand the golden arch addiction..i lived down the street from one and cheeseburgers was my donwnfall. Did you know that there is actually something in the food that causes a feel good feeling and it makes us want more? Watch Supersize me if you havent seen it..

Point is: You need to stay away from there..dont walk past it...go another route..pack a snack with you wherever you go...always have something you consider treat like on hand that wont de rail you..
Jasesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #5  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterbear View Post
I ended up at the golden arches ordering a large sweet tea & 20 piece nuggets...I don't even know how I end up there in the first place?! Even after eating it, I'm not even full and so angry at myself for doing that to myself!
When I saw this thread title, I thought "Mmmmm, McNuggets & Sweet Tea" and then I read your post and saw you got EXACTLY what I crave from that place!!!! Hahahahaha dammit.. I don't even like McD's that much except for breakfast and the McNuggets & Sweet Tea. They put crack in it, I swear.

Sometimes I mess up and have it too.. But tomorrow is a new day so just get back at what you were doing before and don't look back!
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  

Thanks Jasesgirl!
I will start packing more high protein snacks and avoid the golden arches route as best as I can!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rma1d View Post
When I saw this thread title, I thought "Mmmmm, McNuggets & Sweet Tea" and then I read your post and saw you got EXACTLY what I crave from that place!!!! Hahahahaha dammit.. I don't even like McD's that much except for breakfast and the McNuggets & Sweet Tea. They put crack in it, I swear.

Sometimes I mess up and have it too.. But tomorrow is a new day so just get back at what you were doing before and don't look back!
I know right?! I have to have their nuggets, if I'm having a bad day it's the first thing I get. It's awful! The worst part is, I know they recognize me because I go through so often
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #8  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Height: 5'6"

Sterbear-I have never liked sweet tea, but used to be ADDICTED to Diet Pepsi. I know it doesn't have the calories, but drinking 1 liter of DP a day? Not healthy lol! I started carrying around a 1 liter bottle of water that I would fill up as soon as I drained it, and every time I would think about Pepsi I would guzzle water. I had to pee LIKE 25 TIMES A DAY LOL! But, this kept me from drinking pepsi because I was so freakin full of water I couldn't drink anything else! It also helped with food cravings and eating less because I knew I was really "hungry" not thirsty when I would get a hungry feeling. Hope that helps, also have you ever seen the ingredient list for McNuggets? That alone might make you steer clear! (Putting that much weird stuff into your body is a little scary!) Keep working hard, YOU WILL CONQUER THIS!
munstermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #9  

Fast food is hard to give up at first because the additives that are in it actualy make us "addicted" to it, but once you break the habit you really dont miss it anymore. I used to eat fast food everyday basically and craved it all the time, but since giving it up I can now go months without eating it.

By the way if you need a good excuse to avoid nuggets check out this video that Jamie Oliver made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2OK6xDd7Hs

This second video explains also how meat found in fast food restaurants is treated with ammonia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30

It was a huge eye opener for me
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #10  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

I struggle with mickey D's as well. It puzzles me because I don't like the taste or texture of the food but I almost feel withdrawal when I avoid it.

I was totally addicted to diet coke for years, it was so bad I would drink through 2.5 litres a day and still want more. I had to go cold turkey on it quite a few times before I could give it up completely, even now I can't just have a sip I go right back into my cravings so I just completely obstain.
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185.5/175/125

Height: 5'3"

I am so addicted to McD's it's not even funny =(! What I try to do is when I have a craving for it I have it the next with a plan on how I am going to fit it in so that I won't drive myself crazy and end up bingeing for depravation.
Abigail207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

I was addicted to Taco John's super burritos & potato oles. Since I'm a total burrito sl*t, I had to substitute it with something, so I found a local burrito place that's similar to Chipotle, but has more options. (Green chille marinated pork with fresh tomatillo salsa, rice & black beans!) WAY fewer calories than what I had been eating and so much more nutritious and filling!

Is there anything that you might be able to substitute for your mcnugget addiction? Another thing to keep in mind is that you're completely denying yourself of the foods you love, that's a little of a recipe for disaster. Maybe as a reward for every 10 lb lost, you could treat yourself with a 6-piece McNugget meal and a side salad?
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Obviously my answer is going to be quite extreme, and I realize this. I have been a fast food/restaurant addict for years. I knew it, but wouldn't admit it to myself. A few months ago (after eating fast food every single day, usually twice) I decided enough was enough. Of course, that wasn't enough to make me stop. From there I started getting smaller portions (mighty kids meal instead of the 10 piece for me). Then I started doing research. And I actually have become a vegan-leaning vegetarian. I did a lot of reading and watched documentaries on factory farming and such, and now I just won't allow myself meat (and more often than not, dairy, either). I'm an all or nothing type. I want my nuggets, and I want them now, with fries and a large soda (I am not the type that is happy with a four piece and a side salad)! My lack of self control led me to explore vegetarianism, which led me to veganism. Now I don't want anything to do with that stuff. I have had two run-ins with meat in the past month, but those were good experiences on my journey.

Like I said, my response was an extreme. Now I'm at the point where I find it sad how we are so disconnected from our food. And I just don't want that anymore (for myself...I hope this isn't coming off as judgmental or attacking...I've learned when asked why I'm doing this to limit my response "Health and ethical reasons"). It really is what worked for me.

Side note: I actually went to a restaurant this past week that I haven't been to since going vegetarian. The waitress knew what drink I wanted and even the food I used to eat. I felt kinda low. I didn't realize I went there that often (looking over bank statements, it was pretty regular). I had to tell her "No, actually, I'm a vegetarian now. I'll stick with the salad, no chicken, is the dressing made with dairy? How about...." You wouldn't believe how much more you have to question things going out as a veg*n.

Last edited by ade903; 07-26-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typos!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

And if you want to hear about the crap that is in fast food...
http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2010/08/12...-food-burgers/
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I definitely can't go to McDonald's and be satisfied with their 'healthy' stuff like salads. My order always consists of double cheeseburgers, fries, and nuggets with sweet and sour sauce. Don't forget the Hi-C Orange!

I stay away from McDonald's unless I'm having a cheat day because I know I can't just moderate myself. I wish I could, but it just doesn't happen
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote