Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Friends wanting to trade clothing?

edit

Last edited by my2cats; 09-05-2011 at 02:28 PM.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I think you're reading WAY too much into that. She was probably looking for an oversized pair of sweat pants or something. Just something so she wouldn't have to be wet.

I've had guys ask for a T-shirt or girls who are a foot shorter than me looking for pants. Situations arise where people need clothes.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #3  

Probably so - I really don't own anything with an elastic waist, so she was a bit SOL.. I suppose I could have showed up with a pair of jeans and rope to use as suspenders to keep them up.

She dried out quite nicely after about 3 hours though.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #4  

That happens to me ALL THE TIME. I am clearly a lot bigger and usually those people do not realize how skinny they are. It sux because it is usually stuff like work out pants or something important for whatever activity, but I have to make up a measly excuse about not needing it so i dont have to be like "uh I can't even fit my ankle in your pants."
I get annoyed with them just as much as the people who complain about their thighs all the time in front of me (sometimes is OK but don't do it everyday!) when mine are twice as big!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've loaned clothing to friends and my sisters in emergency situations and the size and height difference has been a lot larger than between you and your friend (my sisters are about 7 - 8" shorter than I am, and about 150-175 lbs lighter, and I even loaned them clothing when they were still growing kids and the height and weight difference was even larger).

Being soaking wet, especially at work is such an unpleasant experience, that swimming in borrowed clothing is better than the alternative. Personally, I guess I would have tried to find something for a friend... a skirt or dress (which are more forgiving) or I'd stop by a thrift store or Dollar General to see if I could find something.

Even though I know a lot of people are squeamish about sharing clothes even with good friends, I would be hurt and disappointed if a friend couldn't help me out (not that I have too many friends who I can share clothes with).

If I had gotten soaked and faced the prospect of 3 hours at work in wet clothes, I wouldn't hesitate to ask a friend my size or larger if they could bring me something (anything) to wear. I would try to understand if they "forgot" but I wouldn't for a minute believe that they truly had. I would suspect it was because of squeamishness about sharing clothes (for any of several reasons) and I would try to be understanding, but if I considered them a friend, I would be hurt and disappointed that they wouldn't help (and that they couldn't at least have said "no way" so I could have called and asked someone else).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-30-2011 at 11:32 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #6  

Well, I felt like I gave her a decent hint by saying I didn't have anything her size - our convo ended along the lines of "I'll see if I can find something that would fit, but don't hold your breath". I didn't exactly have time to go on a shopping trip, I was running late for work.

I don't have any skirts or dresses (that aren't in storage)... I'm a 90% jeans gal, and the other 10% is dress pants for work. I don't think taking in pants she would have had to physically hold up would have been an improvement for her, and I would definitely have been mortified because anyone who saw her would ask and get the whole story. She's a workfriend, not my sister. (If we were "that" close, I would have just told her I would be embarrassed!)