Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #1  

Default To Snack or NOT to Snack...

So, having been on this weight loss roller coaster for most of my life, I've heard of a lot of things. But I'll admit to being surprised when my nutritionist gave me a 3-meal a day plan.

Previously in my dealings with nutritionists, both for myself and for my mother back when she had a diagnosis of diabetes, I have always been told that a 5-6 meal plan is best, eating every two to four hours. Snacks were a MUST. And when I had my one successful weight loss experience, it included a strict snack regimen.

I have to admit that the thought of having only three meals to plan is kind of nice, I'm not the best meal planner, and the proactive part of this whole thing is tough for me, but I've been doing it! My problem right now is that I have lunch at 12:30 or 1, and don't get dinner until 6 or 7 and usually try to work out right after work (5:30). So that means that I'm STARVING right around 4:30 or 5, and if I'm hungry you can bet I'm gonna skip working out. And that's if I manage not to totally fall apart (like I'll admit to doing the last TWO DAYS. Damn work potlucks anyways!).

So, after all that, my question is this: Pre-op and post-op have you been given more of a 3-meal plan or a snack-laden plan? I'm seriously considering calling my nut or emailing her to let her know my issues, but wanted to see what you guys had experienced first. Maybe I'm just a whiner.

TIA!
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Not speaking from experience but just from a gut feeling - I would ask your nutritionist if you could work in a snack around 3 or 4 so that you can stop the hunger before it starts, stick to the work out plan, and then have dinner at home.

Also as a side note - I did relay for life for several years in high school and into the start of college. It's such a great event and I was honored to be part of it!
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #3  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Post-op--I eat 5-6x per day-small meals as designated by my NUT.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My doc also says to eat many SMALL meals..if I'm hungry eat (of course you have to watch what you are eating). I find that if I am at that point of being out of control hungry, I'll look for anything to shovel in and thats when I do my most damage.

Everyone is different so do what works for you.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

If I eat low carb, I can eat 3 meals and one snack. If I eat simple carbs, a real problem, I start a craving thing that is hard to fight.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #6  

Thanks so much guys. I think what i'm going to do for now is take the fruit exchange from my lunch and moving it to a mid afternoon snack for now. We'll see if that holds me through. But it's definitely something I'm going to talk to her about. You guys are great!
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

good plan - but i'd also suggest adding a little bit of protein to that fruit. it can be a string cheese, or 1/2 c plain yogurt, or a SMEAR [not a blob!] of peanut butter. it'll add more staying power to the fruit.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote