Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 06:55 AM   #1  
tomorrow is another day

Thumbs up panic attacks & dieting # 12

Hi girls,

new year, new thread!
talk to you soon

mygirl
Old 01-05-2003, 07:29 PM   #2  

Hi MyGirl and everyone else,

Thanks for the new thread, I can't believe we are on number 12! I have been struggleing with the diet since last week, isn't it funny how I made it thru the majority of the holidays and maintained my weight, and now I been eating like a mad man!! This has got to stop. I think I am just good and stressed along with being tired and I always go back to eating to make myself feel better for the moment. Guess I better loose that attitude real fast. I have been feeling a little depressed also, must be the time of year. I am going to work on improving my attitude, exercising and eating better. Thanks for the inspriation MyGirl. Your resolutions sound a lot like mine, it is so much easier to deal with problems when you are in tune to what the real problem is, like if I am really tired in the afternoon, I will just grab something to eat instead of taking a walk or just resting. Being aware of the problem is half the battle, now I just have to stop the bad behavior!

How are you doing jennifa? Make it thru the holidays ok? I for one am sooo happy they are over.

Calm and relaxing days to all of us,

Daytona
Old 01-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #3  
tomorrow is another day

Hi all, hope you're all doing well.
I am doing ok and feeling much better today especially now that I have managed to shake off a stubborn cold, boy did that zap my energy or what! It also made my anxious symptoms feel a whole lot worse and amplified!
Anyway, that all behind me now I have some good news to report I actually made it to the movies with dh yesterday I felt a bit nervous at first due to the large crowd of people (this always makes me feel jittery) had sushi for lunch followed by a nice coffee by a warm log fire, what a nice day we had out! I can't remember the last time we did something like that and I actually enjoyed it. In fact, I felt better as the day progressed.
I am planning on rejoining the gym (still doing the checking out) and will decide on one by this week hopefully.
I also finished reading a book (from Oprah's Book Club) Open House by Elizabeth Berg - not a bad book. I am currently reading another by the same author called Never Change. She writes in a pretty easy to read style (nothing too heavy) which is good because some days I find it real hard to concentrate.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #4  
tomorrow is another day

oops I hit the submit reply button before I had finished so here's part 2 of my post.

daytona you sound like you've been busy yep thread number 12 can you believe it? thanks to your support there are some days when only my online buddies can understand what I'm going thru so for that I say a huge THANKYOU
I know how it feels to be down just give yourself permission to feel that way. I had a good cry and let it all out mind you it took about 2 weeks to get things back on track. You WILL feel better just try to keep yourself busy - how are those cute puppies doing? The holidays are over and now it is time to look after YOU make it a priority and don't let anyone get in your way of feeling better.

how you doing jennifa? hope you had a good New Year's celebration! how the clothes making going? made any other great new outfits? hope you have a great year this year!

gobbie,cassie99, have I forgotten anyone? I wish you all a
HAPPY AND ANXIETY FREE NEW YEAR!

take care,
mygirl
Old 01-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #5  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Just a quick reply, not doing well at all. Docs
want to put me on Meridia but it seems like people
on this site think it is a crutch. I'd like to see them try staying OP for a year and gaining 40 pounds in spite of it. Very frustrated, very annoyed, don't know what to do. I would cry but the meds somehow seem to block that. Something is wrong and nobody is listening and it's taking way too long to get this evil cycle stopped.

But I'll be fine, don't worry too much, but if you do know of what can cause weight gain like that and how to lose it that would be great. Am considering having my mouth sewn shut for a year. Just kidding but boy does it sound like a solution or what.

Sorry this is such a downer message. I will post again soon. Hope you all are well, take good care.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #6  
tomorrow is another day

hi all,
and a special hello jennifa! {{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry to hear you're not doing so well.
I think I tried Meridia last year some time trust me anything is worth a try if your doc thinks it will help even if only in the shortterm then, give it a go, what have you got lose?
Keep at it, no matter what don't give up at least we can say that we are constantly trying. It's a long and painful process I know, with many set-backs along the way.
how you doing daytona? how'sthe gym going? I have yet to rejoin am little embarrassed to go back to the same gym cause I never lost the weight...ugghh but I think I'll just muster up the courage and join.
I have been doing ok have had good and really bad days but find I need more and more sleep I feel so tired.
Oh well, better get out of the house hanging around here all day isn't the answer I think I'll visit a friend.
talk to you soon,
mygirl
Old 01-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #7  
cookies are for browsers

My girl, you are an angel!! Thank you!!! I need to hear from people who've tried Meridia. Did it work for you? I really suspect my problem is adrenal exhaustion or perimenopause. There is a doctor in Arizona who specializes in hormone stuff and I think I am just going to have to hop out of network and go see her. I don't think I am going to go on Meridia but if I hear great things about it I might reconsider. It sounds too much like an SSRI type drug and those don't work for me.

Daytona, hope you are doing well. I know when the holidays are over all you want to do is go back to "normal". But here's where that annoying saying is actually good: "If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got."

I guess I'm doing better in some ways. I have quit eating meat again and I can tell some weight is coming off. I am not hiding so much anymore and my brazen sense of humor is rearing its bold head.

Getting out of the house at least once a day is always a good idea.

Here's what gets me - I have been trying to lose weight my whole life (duh) and they are now telling me that I'm risking diabetes and heart problems. NO FREAKING S**T people I KNOW that and I DON'T want to be fat. Sometimes I want to slap these idiots and ask how they got through college with a brain like that.

Jennifa
239 /239/170

Last edited by jennifa; 01-23-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:06 PM   #8  

Hi girls,

We are in the middle of an artic blast, so the news tells us. It is so cold I hate to even leave the house. However, I make myself get out and walk and also go to Curves. I feel so much better mentaly when I do that. My weight is holding its own and I am glad about that. My puppies are all sold and I have gotten my dogs fixed so there will be no more litters. I love them to death, but I get too attached to the puppies then you have to see them go to new homes. So much for getting back to normal, we are refinancing our house and it has been one major hassel after the next. On top of that my dogs got into a fight and my one male got a tooth in his eye so he had to have that removed. They sewed the eye shut and he looks like he is winking at you, but you can only imagine the basket case I was for a week. My middle son decided to move out, mind you he is 22 and works for Walmart, he has little money and no direction. Here's hopeing things get better for all of us.

Jennifa,
I know the frustration with the diets not working, I spendn't 7 years trying various diets and gimmicks, each time I was hopeful and not successful. The only thing I can say is, try to find a way to incorporate your favorite foods into your eating plan. If you don't when you do lose the weight and you go back to eating some of those things your weight will probably come back. Curves has a diet book that's focus in on resetting your metabolism, maybe that would be worth looking at. I think you can just go to their web site and purchase the book, it is only 10.00. If you think that Meridia would work, you owe it to yourself to try it. You know drugs work different on each of us and you might be successful. I am always looking for ways to feel better, and I sure don't look at medication as a crutch. Sometimes you just need a "leg up" to help you. I agree with you about DRs being stupid, you would think we didn't know we were over weight or that we have never heard about all the health risks! If only we didn't know this about ourselfs, we wouldn't know we needed a diet either, idiots! If it was so easy to lose weight, then they should be able to give you the answers on why your body is fighting your diet efforts.

MyGirl,
You should go back to your gym, don't even think twice about not losing your weight. I am sure you are not the only one who hasn't lost the weight they wanted to. We are always our own worse critic. Give yourself a pat on the back for your perservance. I want to start reading again, it keeps the mind busy and if I read positive stuff I feel better.

Any big super bowl plans? Not here, just watching the game and eating of course.

Relaxing thoughts to all,
Daytona
Old 01-24-2003, 05:30 PM   #9  
tomorrow is another day

Hi girls,
just a quick visit to see how you're doing.

jennifa,
meridia worked for me initially but it did require following a strict calorie controlled diet and walking. I did find that it raised by blood pressure significantly (as I suffer from hi BP anyway) so eventually I had to come off it. I think it's worth a try because as daytona said these things work differently on each person.If it has been recommended then go for it!
I know how frustrating it is when you just want to get the weight off and docs tell you about the impending health risks it makes it all the more stressful...but hang in there.

daytona,
hope things work out for the best for you. I will act on your advice and rejoin my old gym...and put my silly second thoughts aside you are so right! I'll let you know how I go!
We're just staying home to watch the game too - hopefully with some low-fat food!

Take care,
mygirl
Old 01-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #10  
cookies are for browsers

Hey ladies,

I agree - working out is the best thing best thing best thing. Really. I found a workout I can stick to - you are going to laugh but I put on Depeche Mode's Route 66 single and dance for half an hour every morning!!! Hey - whatever it takes. And I can take 24 hours of DM no problem!!!

I stopped the thyroid altogether as it was making panic problems worse. I don't want to take Meridia. In fact, I think all the antidepressants are bunk. I have always had low blood pressure and my last test was 120/80. My usual is 100/70. So it is raising it quite a bit and I am going to go off them. I think that they work for a lot of people but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I suspect they assisted my 40 pound weight gain last year.

Daytona, I wish I could've seen the puppies. They are so cute! Well, good for you for having your doggies fixed. There are way too many without good homes out there. I always have to keep that in mind whenever I feel bad about spaying or neutering a pet.

Curves sounds great - I think I will check them out. THere is one near my house. Is it expensive? You are right - endocrinologist says I am cursed with metabolism of molasses in January. Sigh.

Well, just thought I'd post since I'm a bit more chipper today.

Jennifa
239/235 /170

Last edited by jennifa; 01-28-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 AM   #11  
tomorrow is another day

hi girls just a quick reply to let you know I will be away from my computer for most of next week !!! wow now that will be a shock to my system.
I am doing ok I have taken up walking and am still sizing up the gyms in my area. I am hoping (fingers crossed) to drag dh along with me!

jennifa,
good for you for making the best decision for yourself. Always trust your instincts. You are stronger than you think and have all the tools to be successful in your weightloss.

daytona,
how are things going for you? how is Curves? keep up the great work. How is your dog? I hope he/she is feeling better now.

Take care,
talk to you after next week
mygirl
Old 02-05-2003, 08:55 AM   #12  

Hi all,

Glad everyone is feeling a bit better. We finally got our re-finance over with, I can't believe the problems that crop up. I am still going to curves 3 times a week. It really helps my mental health and it lets me eat much more food without gaining weight as easily. It is cheap here, just $29.00 a month, they combine resistance training with aerobic intervals so you get the best of both worlds. I did read it wouldn't benifit hard core weight lifters, but that sure is not me. I want to do the least work in the shortest time and get the most results! I'm not asking for much am I??? A lot of the gals that go there have lost a lot of inches and body fat along with weight and then they have a book that talks about fixing your metabolism, the book is just $10.00. You should go check it out, they have a coupon for a free week or two so you can try it out.

Mygirl, I would go crazy without my computer for a week, I do have to live without it when we go on vacation, but it just makes me appreciate it all the more when I get back. Are you going on vacation? Have fun whatever you are doing. It would be great to join a gym with your husband, mine is anti social so I pretty much have to do all that kind of stuff on my own. My daughters are too busy to join anything. Glad you are walking, that is a big stress reliever. Maybe you should get a dog, I have read they are very good for relaxing, and of course you would have to walk them! My dogs are all doing great now, and I am a little sad to be done with breeding them, but it was time to stop. I will miss the puppies, they are always so cute and funny to watch.

Well, ladies, take care and stay warm!

Daytona
Old 02-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #13  
cookies are for browsers

Hey gals,

How you doing? Hope you are well and panic-free. I am doing A LOT BETTER!!! thanks to a wonder drug called Ritalin. They are using it now for depression and may I just say that it is the best thing I have ever tried. It is like a miracle; it's like someone took Windex and cleaned off my windshield! The best thing about it is that I have been able to keep a journal and be honest about it and I am not going out of control so much anymore - even if I do I journal it. I think the weight is finally starting to come off.

I am a bit bummed out. I posted a thread with some basic grammar rules because I am so tired of people not knowing the difference between your and you're and its and it's. I mean how hard is it to remember that pronouns never get apostrophes? The thread is gone. Mysteriously deleted with no private message or anything. It was actually rather amusing and all the examples were funny and weight-loss related. But I suppose that the 3FCs have their own site so they get to pick what does and does not get to stay. It's kind of brought me down so if I don't post so much anymore, that's why. I will check in periodically because you all (y'all) are so fabulous and wonderful and you deserve all the support you get here!

All the best to you and yours (not your's!)

Jennifa
Old 02-15-2003, 08:13 AM   #14  
tomorrow is another day

Hi girls!
I'm back in cyberspace after a whole week away from my computer! Now that was good - but, now I am back and can't wait to catch up with you see how you're doing and tell you all about my week.

jennifa,
YOU GO GIRL! I was so happy to log on and read of your success with Ritalin and the weightloss I like your analogy with the windex, that's exactly how I feel when things turn around.
Congratulations also on the weightloss that is superb news and I can just imagine how great that must feel - you're headed in the right direction and that is what matters. I think you have found what suits your needs.
I also think that sometimes we are too harsh on ourselves expecting to have perfect days all the time and if something happens it throws us off our course. Non-anxiety folk have bad days too - we just need to remind ourselves of that. It's ok to feel out of sorts at times.
Hey, I am with you 100% on the grammar rules - it is annoying to read but at times I am also gulity of this (mostly out of carelessness).

daytona,
how are you? glad to read that things are getting done around your place it must be comforting to know that the house has been re-financed. One less thing to worry about.
I have thought about getting a dog but the trouble is that I am often away from home and not able to look after a one all the time (shame because I love dogs)

I was away with dh for most of the week we needed some much-needed time away from everyone and everything. It also gave me time away from my daily routine, stresses and worries. I almost felt like my old self - carefree and anxiety free. It was a good feeling and certainly restored my faith in my ability to deal with this darn anxiety thing!

That's it from me for now,
wow I wrote an essay (again)

talk to you soon,
mygirl
Old 02-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #15  
cookies are for browsers

Hey Mygirl and Daytona,

Mygirl, glad you got some time away. It's always helpful! Keep up the good work.

Daytona, how are you doing? How is curves? A refi is usually a great thing, it makes your day to day less stressful and it will all be over soon!

I am happy to report that journaling is doing a good thing and I weighed in at 231 this morning. Yay! 61 pounds to go to goal! I went to yoga class on Monday and MAN am I sore but I got a wake up call as to how out of shape I got last year. Stupid depression. Well, now I'll get back into the swing of things and do my best to go once a week...

Jennifa
239/231/170
Closed Thread