Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #1  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 220/TICKER/120

Height: 5'3"

Default What qualifies as a plateau?

So, in the last week I've stayed perfectly on plan but my scale has NOT budged- not a single ounce. I've tried calorie cycling, varying my workout, eating less carbs...is this just a bad week, or does this mean I've hit a plateau?

Also, who the f*** hits a plateau within the first 20 pounds? I know I shouldn't let a scale determine how I feel, but I'm definitely not very happy right now...
GreatPerhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I think it's quite normal for you to hit a plateau now. We usually hit a plateau when we've lost about 10% of our body weight. According to your numbers, you're right on target.

The scale isn't the only determinant of forward progress. Did you happen to measure yourself before you started your weight loss efforts? Because sometimes we lose girth before we lose weight. It takes time for your body to process the loss. We don't lose very much of our fat when we go to the bathroom. Fat gets processed into glycogen for our bodies to use for fuel. About a third of our calories that we use in a day, when we're trying to lose weight, comes from the stored fat, the rest comes from what we eat. It takes time and effort for our bodies to dip into the storage system.

Keep doing the great work you're doing. If you want to get past this, try increasing cardio a little to see what happens. You might also want to take a nutritional supplement that supports your liver, since that's where our bodies process fat. Something with milk thistle in it.

I've been doing Pilates for just over a year now, three to five times a week. I didn't lose any weight the entire year. However, I dropped nearly two sizes. My abs, under all my layers of fat, are amazing. I can feel them! I can do stuff now that I couldn't do last year and I'm now keeping up with the rest of my class of slim tiny women. (Albeit, with a lot more grunting than they do!) I've definitely lost inches and fat, but gained a lot of muscle. I am really happy with that. But I want to lose a lot more weight/inches, so I have to step up my gain and add power walking. I've been on plateau for three years. It's been quite a head trip. I'm not saying this will happen to you. I have health issues you don't, and I'm 50. Don't lose your motivation because that stupid scale is not speaking your language. You're doing great!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #3  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 220/TICKER/120

Height: 5'3"

Thank you so much for your response! That actually makes me feel a lot better...I didn't measure myself, I've just been going by the way my clothes fit. My pants are definitely starting to get loose, so I guess you're right--maybe I just need to focus on NSVs for the time being.

Also, was pilates hard when you first started? It looks so fun...but also terrifying
GreatPerhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Yes, Pilates was so dang hard when I started! I actually wanted to start two years ago, but was utterly intimidated by it. Also, I was told by a thin biotch that big women are not encouraged to do Pilates, and another one told me a friend of hers broke her back doing it. Fortunately for me, I happened to bump into a woman who is exceptionally respected in my community as a personal trainer (for nearly 30 years) and she was just opening a new Pilates studio. We talked for an hour about Pilates and how I should start. She was completely encouraging and supportive.

I couldn't start at the time due to other commitments and money, but a year later, I moved just a few blocks from her studio and I had rearranged my schedule, plus cut out a lot of things from my budget that didn't do a thing for me or my sons and decided to spend the money on Pilates instead. It was the best decision I ever made for myself!

I started going to a few private sessions, learning the most basic things about Pilates. Then she started a beginner's class, so with some fear, I joined with a few other women who were all MUCH smaller than me. But my instructor was so great in the class, encouraging me to keep coming, just twice a week. Within a few short weeks, I was accomplishing things that I couldn't at the start. I remember yelling, "Hey! Can you see daylight under my a$$?" when I accomplished my first real bridge. And everyone congratulated me! (I'm the mouthy comic-relief in the class...they miss me when I don't show up!)

Now, I can do full planks, almost can do push-ups (my instructor says that when I lose more weight I'm going to surprise myself and actually do them - and to expect more cheering) and full roll-ups (my ample stomach still gets in the way), and my range of movement is vastly improved. And how I feel after class if done, OMG! That alone makes the effort worth it.

My instructor, who is now a really good friend, wants me to eventually get my training to teach Pilates to other women of ample proportions. It's going to take me a couple years to learn everything, but I think I'm going to do it!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote