Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #1  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Shin Splints!

OUCH! I went for a 2.2 mi walk and I even jogged a bit (I actually enjoyed it!). But holy cow, I have shin splints, I haven't had those since my track days in HS!

So 2 things: 1. Could my shoes be the cause, my feet (ball of my foot, big toe side) hurt afterwards, as did my ankles. I wonder if my shoes are shot... Thoughts?
2. What can I do to make them not hurt?! I've tried to stretch, but it's not enough. Suggestions?

Thanks ladies! I am working on training for the 5k and went a bit crazy on Friday!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

shoes might be an issue. I bought some nike running shoes, and they were like running on a cloud. WOW
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

I am using the Sketchers - Shape Ups. My boyfriend bought them for me last year and i just love them! Lately i have been wearing them for work cause i was getting sore feet (im a nurse - standing all day!). Last week i had horrible pain in both shins, i had gone skateboarding with my boyfriend and didnt feel it till the day after - that day i wasnt wearing my sketchers tho, just some old skateshoes. I dont think those are shin splints tho. I am not sure. I dont think i have had them before, but yes... i would assume a good pair of shoes would help out majorly. I always have the best shifts when my feet arent sore.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm not on weight watchers but wanted to add onto the advice already given. I run alteast once or twice a week. I find that if I run on a track/ road I get bad shin splints but I'm fine on a treadmill. I also got new shoes and that helped a lot! Stretch well before running and that should help some

As for relief. I use icy hot. It seems to help for awhile and some Tylenol or ibuprofen.
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #5  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I have always had this problem. I just have weak ankles. A good pair of shoes makes a world of difference. Also you might try wrapping them with sports tape until you build more strength and your body gets used to it.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

It would also be helpful to walk on softer surfaces until it improves. The road is softer than the sidewalk. Grassy trails would be even better.
You might want to go to a sporting goods store that does a gait analysis. They can analyze your gait and put you in the perfect, supportive shoe to make activity as comfortable as possible.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I feel your pain! I went with my bf for a 3 mile walk yesterday and it's always the first half that is sooo painful. By the second half i could go for 10 more miles! I've tried new shoes several times and stretching....don't have the answer, but want you to know your not alone
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Having the right shoe makes all the difference. That was my experience. But one more thing to add to this is your form.

Try to focus on drawing in your abdominals and pivoting your tail bone down as you walk. Doing this will rotate your knees, and shins and feet, slightly more forward, putting less strain on your shins. It takes a little time and concentration to make this your permanent walking or running form, but it may help.

From Runners' World, but it applies to walking as well:
Quote:
Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

Last edited by geoblewis; 04-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #9  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks!!! I just got a thing in the mail from Road Runner's and they do an analysis. I know it's running, but I might call and ask them if they have shoes for walking. I'd be nice to be in the right shoes.

Plus I have Planter Faciatis (SP) and so I know that's an issue too... Goodness sakes, if my feet and lower body was happy I'd be outside/at the gym more!

Thanks everyone!!!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote