Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #1  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Default Experiences with birth control

I just started birth control Sunday (Apri). I'm not thrilled about synthetic hormones but I'll submit if it actually helps me function with some sort of normalcy during my cycle.

I wanted to know what you guys may have experienced with BC in regards to weight, mood, fatigue and all of that good stuff. Anything, really. I guess I'm so apprehensive about this stuff that I am in need of reassurance.

In two days I've had a lower appetite and some serious fatigue. Could it be the BC?

Stories, advice, suggestions.....anything?

Last edited by JMfan; 03-14-2011 at 09:49 PM.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/127

Height: 5'0"

The first birth control I was on is called Loestrin 24, and it made my already greasy self an oil slick to the point that sometimes I showered 2 or 3 times a day and still never felt clean. It also killed my sex drive. :x

Since then I have been on the same general drug under various names, depending on what my pharmacy is carrying : it's Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I haven't noticed many symptoms, actually, and I've been on it for years now. The only side effect that I can think of is having shorter, more regular, FAR less painful periods. Hope that helps, and good luck!
tabitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

Height: 5'3"

My first BC was called Yasmin. It killed my sex drive and I think I gained at least some weight. I was also never very good at remembering to take the pill everyday.

Now I have a Mirena, an IUD. I've had it for three years now and it is great (you have it in for 5 years). I no longer have a regular TOM, I get something like a period maybe every 4 months or so. There have been no side effects on my sex drive or weight. I would definitely recommend it.
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #4  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I got implanon. It's an implant that goes into your arm for three years. My experience has been positive so far. I had pills which made me pretty moody and then I had Mirena which was horrible (the doctor who put it in didn't know I didn't have children yet, my uterus was not big enough to hold it).
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I was on Tri-Sprintec, the generic version of Ortho Tricyclen Low, for several years. I noticed a slight spike in appetite (manageable) and a slight decrease in libido. My skin cleared up nicely which was a lovely side effect. Over time I found I experienced intense anger and rage for seemingly no reason, and my libido had completely disappeared to the point where it has started to damage my relationship. A lot of people have reported feeling crazy mood swings on tricyclical birth control pills, but in my case that didn't come until I had been taking it for years, and I'm not even sure it was related to the pill.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/193.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameZombie View Post
I got implanon. It's an implant that goes into your arm for three years. My experience has been positive so far. I had pills which made me pretty moody and then I had Mirena which was horrible (the doctor who put it in didn't know I didn't have children yet, my uterus was not big enough to hold it).
My friend had implanon and liked it, too.

I just wanted to add that I don't have kids yet either, but I think having issues with Mirena really depends on the person. It was painful for the first day or so, while my body adjusted, but after that it was fine. I'm sorry for your poor experience, I had never heard that problem before. My doctor only highlighted that it was better for women who had already had children, but she made it seem like it was discouraged for young women without children because it would make them feel like it was okay to sleep around or something.
SweetPeach3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #7  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

I had similar experiences to Krampus on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I changed because my sex drive is so low it's almost non-existent. Now my doc switched me to Seasonique, where you get your period 4 times a year. Only been on it a week, will let you know... hoping for more, ya know...
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

I recently went on BC too (this is my second month). I'm taking Loestrin24...not a fan. I've had a slight decrease in appetite and sex drive. But the biggest problems by far I've had are: breakthrough bleeding and its made me break out like crazy!

I'm switching to a generic version of Ortho next month because I can't afford the Loestrin ($66! and that's after insurance paid their part). Hopefully this will help clear up my skin.
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #9  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

I can't attribute my weight gain to birth control (the name escapes me) but I can the horrible unstable moods and loss of libido, It took me many years to pin point, I thought maybe I had just changed into this hyper sensitive emotional being, but after a month off I never went back on.
All BC was not created equal i'm sure but it did scare me out of using hormonal stuff.
Starflower oil supplements make my TOM much easier, it help balance hormones.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #10  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Thank you so much for the replies. You have no idea how greatly I appreciate it.

I heard that you experience the breakthrough bleeding within the first few months of starting and it'll stop after that. Is that true?

P.S. My appetite is still crap. Either the BC is kicking in quick or I'm going crazy. I literally had to force feed myself to get to 1100 calories. Approx 400 of that came after my workout before bed (organic yogurt, banana and pnut butter). Annoying...
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #11  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

I am also on Loestrin 24... like a lot of the other ladies mentioned, I did deal with breakthrough bleeding for the first few cycles (which was really annoying) and I also found that it lowered my sex drive for the first ~2 months.

However, I've stuck to it for about 10 months, and now I'm loving it. My dr put me on this BC because it's a low-hormone option (thus the abundance of breakthrough bleeding) as I've had some nasty reactions to other higher-dose BCs in the past (extreme moodiness, weight gain, etc etc). I was concerned about how this pill might affect my weight/weight-loss efforts, but I'm happy to report I've lost +/- 20 lbs since beginning Loestrin. It's also been great for making my TOM symptoms nearly disappear. I used to have horrible horrible menstrual cramps that would force me to miss work/fun for 1 to 2 days each month. Since beginning this pill, sometimes I'll get a little twinge of a cramp and a tiny bit of period bloat, but it's so much less than it used to be. If only the same were true for my monthly chocolate cravings....

So, for me Loestrin 24 has been great once I made it past the breakthrough stuff.
pavvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Wow, I'm surprised to see all the negative experiences here. I've been on BC for 9.5 years and I love it. My mood is even all month, I don't experience cramps, my periods are short and light, my sex drive is definitely high enough, and I don't have cravings or any of the other symptoms that people complain about on these forums and attribute to "TOM." For the first 9 years I was on ortho-tri-cyclen and I recently switched to Aviane, which is a low-estrogen generic. During first three cycles on Aviane I had some kind of bleeding every day save about 10, but now I'm in the fourth cycle and I've had no breakthrough bleeding. I haven't noticed any other changes in switching pills. All in all my experience on BC has been excellent and I'm a bit apprehensive to go off it in a few years!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Going on bcp was one of the best things I did. I have pcos, so it really helped manage my symptoms and even got my weightloss kickstarted. My hormones were totally out of whack anyway, so that was probably why I responded so well. I felt "normal" for the first time in my life.

I started on Desogen and then moved on to Nuvaring, which I loved.

It really isn't one size fits all and what works for some may not work for others. I've also been told to give it 3 cycles before you decide that you don't like it, which was true for me. I didn't start seeing benefits until about that point.

I think if you don't have any hormonal issues or health reasons to be on birth control it can be trickier to deal with. But a lot of women do find great relief with it. Trial and error, though.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Hey there! I, too, had an awful experience with BC. I was on it for about two years and during that time I started getting migraines on the sugar pill week. It got to the point where I could tell you exactly which day I would be missing work/school/life. One time I ended up in the ER because it had lasted four days. Other than that, I loved it. I didn't gain weight (well I did, but not because of BC). I loved knowing exactly when my period would arrive.
I since moved to the IUD, Mirena. I LOVE it. It does have hormones, but for some reason they don't cause migraines (I think it is because there is no withdrawal factor). It was uncomfortable going in (I don't have kids) and crampy for a few days, but my period is SO light and I don't have to remember taking a pill. I know you asked about BC pills, but I just figured I would tell you about the IUD because through all of my migraines, NOBODY told me about it. My doctor's only answer was "oh your only option is condoms." A coworker finally told me about it. So I'm big on telling anyone that will listen good luck! I hope what you started works for you!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
I've been on SEVERAL different ones and i find that Lo Ogestrel is the BEST one! Not an ounce of weight gain or moodiness. My period comes pretty much the same time each month. I had the Depo Provera shot only once and i gained 8 lbs. in 3 weeks....run for the hills on that shot! Took me forever to get that weight off too.

Your body is probably adjusting, give it some time to settle and work properly.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote