General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default school uniforms for girls

i'm having the hardest time finding pants that fit, meet the dress code, are at goodwill AND that my daughter won't complain about. they need to wear dress pants, like pants that boys would wear to church, slacks. cargo pockets are ok, but no decoration other than a few pockets. have to be khaki, navy blue, or black. she's 6/7 slim, but sometimes the adjustable buttons are uncomfortable inside the waist. if it were up to her, the dress code would be pink, white, purple, and did i mention pink? lol. they are allowed to wear uniform type skirts, shorts, or those little jumper things too when it's warmer. she's most comfortable in leggings. hates jeans, except if covered in sparkles and jewels.

i'm afraid this is a losing battle and i'll just be making her wear the dreaded pants until graduation. she's in k, that's a long way off.

Last edited by katy trail; 03-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

JC Penney's has good uniform wear that is cheap. Sears does too--although you may need to order from the catalog. How do you feel about asking a mom of an older student at your school that has the same build as your daughter?

p.s. In the long run, uniforms will save you a ton of money, time and frustration. Encourage your daughter towards the uniforms by letting her choose other things that are okay---sparky cute panties and camisoles...temporary tattoos where they don't show....perfume, glimmer lotion, etc.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #3  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Put her in a school without uniforms?

You can take out the adjustable button inside the waist line.
Maybe find pants that don't have buttons and you can just pull them up and are a little stretchy but still look like dress pants.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I bought all of my kids' school clothes at Target.
After 8 yrs of dress code (uniforms) at my kids' school, they recently did away with it.
There still are some restrictions, but it's alot better than it was.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm another Target uniform buyer. I also take her old ones in to the office so when some other kid gets hurt or throws up or something they can have clothes and don't have to worry about returning it.

Is there some kind of "mom underground" over there? Or start one! Because we have something like that here -- you find a mom with a kid bigger and smaller than your kid. So you get stuff from the bigger kid mom and pass down to the smaller kid mom. That always helps too.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #6  
I CAN do this!

we actually got really lucky right before we moved a neighbor gave us a bunch of uniform pants for one of our boys. that helped alot. we always pass on our clothes to their younger cousins. i don't think i'll be asking the other moms, just lots of looking in goodwill. target/walmart is ok prices, but for 3 kids that adds up super fast. i usually can't take the buttons out of the pants, she needs the adjustment and doesn't want to wear a belt, go figure lol. except pink sparkly belts of course ha ha.

part of the problem for her, is at her old school she just wore reg. clothes. so we moved in the middle of the year, and some mornings she spends the whole morning complaining. but last week, she was fine with this or the other pants. it changes from day to day.

she loves that after school and weekends, she can wear whatever she wants. unless we're going somewhere it doesn't even have to go with this season or match. i think in the long term, it has to cost less. they have less clothes for school that before, and they are SUPPOSED to look the same. as apposed to getting teased because you wore the same pants 2 days in a row.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #7  

Old Navy (here in Canada anyway) sells some uniform-type clothing. I've seen pants in navy and tan and polo shirts etc. I think Skorts too?!? Do you have an Old Navy close or you can check them out online too.
Bijoux00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Check out Osh Kosh too if you have one in your area. In May or June, they should start getting the uniform clothes in. They have all the bases covered too and the pants are cute and have pleats in them for girls. Around back to school time, (in August here), the prices drop to about 60 to 70% off.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My kids' school has a uniform exchange a couple times a year. Anyone is free to take whatever they can find useful for their own kids. It's also a great way to get rid of stuff that your child can't wear anymore. Is that something you can suggest to your school administrators?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Walmart has "pack uniforms" where you can get a 2-pack of pants for $18. If that's still too much, try consignment, craigslist, or even freecycle.

JCPenney has several on sale right now
LINK

ETA Kohls has some amazing deals.

Last edited by Munchy; 03-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #11  
I CAN do this!

i guess i just need to find out what kind of styles to look for. styles of pants/skirts that are comfy for other girls her age. she complains the least about the bootcut style pants, i guess it's a twill material? they look just like jeans, but in the dress pants material i guess you could say. although, those are often the ones with the adjustable buttons inside. still, she complains about those the least. so if i can find more of those, that would be good.

i wish she would just wear the boys pants in her size. she's got 2 older brothers, she'd never run out of pants lol! of course those aren't comfortable for her, so that won't happen.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #12  
I CAN do this!

i appreciate all the posts of sales and such, but in my head everything is compared to the used prices, $2 a piece. so when a reg. store has a 'sale' it still might be somewhere between 4 and 10 dollars. on the lower end of that range might be fine if i was already at the store for something, not just there to buy 1 thing, but buying more that just 1 or 2 at those prices won't work.