Weight and Resistance Training - M-M-M-M-March! Spring is almost here.

Tomato
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
I thought I would honour the Oscar-bestowed King's Speech (which I yet have to see). Gotta love Colin Firth!

Shannon, I think you deserve a break. I have to check out the workout on stumptuous.
Lydia, I forgot to mention that I did check out the Tshirt and I like it (and most of the rest of them on that website) but I have become spoiled and I want only V-necks. For some reason, I feel "choked" if the T goes high up on my neck.
Oh, and by the way, what colours are you painting? We want names!

Alena

nelie
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I haven't been to a movie theater in a couple years and I didn't see the Oscars :)

I'm battling my sinuses. They have been winning but I've brought in reinforcements. I am going to try my best to go to Crossfit today. I have a natural nasal spray that helps clear out the sinuses. Plus I did a good neti pot irrigation this morning along with taking my various drugs. I've never had sinus issues, not sure why they decided to start being unhappy. stupid sinuses.

Tomato
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear, nelie. I thought you were long cured. I was going to suggest the neti pot (as much as I hate it) but I know it works. But then I read on that you are on it. I think you are doing all you, sometimes it just takes time to get rid of colds.

Lydia227
03-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Alena: You started our new month! I have yet to see the movie too. I'm so removed from pop culture. I wouldn't have even known that its Oscars week if it wouldn't have been for some of the Facebook postings of my friends who follow such things.

Paint colors? You bet. Laura Ashley Gold2 on the walls in the basement. The color is available through Lowes. I'm using a lighter version of it on the ceilings. On the walls of the main floor will be Laura Ashley Gold 3 with a red wall for accent next to the fireplace. (The fireplace is tiled off white with gold brown veins of color throughout) I'm also painting the foyer the same shade red. Honestly, it's the same colors I had in my previous house in Columbus. Loved it there, want it here. Simple.

I can't stand to have a collar around my neck either. I find that shirts made specifically for women are sometimes better...sometimes...But yes, I'm a V Neck fan too. Besides, we work hard for those pecs and collarbones right? :lol3:

Nelie: This cold is really hanging on! Hope things are clearing up for you soon. How did the CrossFit session go today?

Legs done today. So wonderful not to be fighting or working around tendon pain in the quad. Woot. I've cut back on weight from 45 to 30 on step ups and split squats with the goal of slowly increasing over the next four to six weeks.

Pullup, overhead presses, pushups, rows, cardio and yoga on tap for tomorrow. :D

Tejas
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Alena, thanks for starting the new month. I read your post about cooking shows, Texans, etc. Most Texans, excluding the few vegatarians, really get a yen for bar-b-que and Toronto just doesn't have Texas style. They have some really good Korean and St. Louis style, but not Texas mesquite. And, Texas doesn't have real poutine either :lol:

Nelie, sorry to hear your sinuses are acting up. Misery!

Lydia, let us know how the cutting back, then increasing weight goes. Good to hear that your quads are healing.

I did squats with 40 pounds yesterday. Whew! My split squat to row is getting better. I'm finally getting that form under control.

Rhonda

deetermined2
03-01-2011, 11:33 PM
nelie,

Sounds like you have several ways of dealing with your sinuses. But in case you are looking for another - WASABI!

I discovered this by accident when overloading my California maki with wasabi. My sister has used it since then. And I've even heard one doctor suggest it recently.

WaterRat
03-02-2011, 01:06 AM
:wave: I'm still around, just been doing some serious slacking since I got back from Hawaii. I meant to get right back into exercise when we got home, then it was cold, and it snowed, and I was whining, yada, yada. I probably made it once a week. NOT ENOUGH!

Here to tell you that I'll be at the gym or the pool tomorrow without fail!

Didn't watch the oscars, haven't seen any of the movies (but I want to see the King's Speech - if only for Colin Firth :lol: )

nelie
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Oh wasabi, what a good idea!!!

I went to Crossfit last night, did the warm up but couldn't catch my breath! I started to feel dizzy and couldn't breathe before the workout started so I sat it out. I guess I wanted to be ready but I wasn't.

Mel
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Alena- Thanks for starting the thread. I've been exhausted and haven't posted anywhere.

Nelie- You've been sick for a long time. Time for a doc?

Rhonda- good job on the new routine! I'm still having a hard time picturing the squat to row.

Lydia- I have to admit that I mostly painted this house the same colors as the last house. It felt like HOME! I'm gradually changing my color palette as I repaint ( I'm liking RED and less in love with green. My new favorite is a really southwesty salmon.

I'm exhausted- skipped Crossfit and cardio yesterday! I did 390 push ups between Friday's WOD and Monday's WOD and think that was about 150 too many. I've a strain rather than a sore pec minor, and my elbow tendinitis is becoming debilitating. I leave tomorrow for Skiing in Breckenridge, so I'm resting. For two days. I think some of my micro-tears might me more macro tears.

It's beginning to look springish here- but I know we usually get a wicked March snowstorm that flattens the foolish daffodils so I'm trying not to get too excited or put away the snow blower and shovels.

Mel

nelie
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Mel - I went to the doc last week. I will probably go again tomorrow. I'm almost done with the antibiotics and some things have improved but other things, not so much.

Lydia227
03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Nelie: Oh watching the WOD must have been totally frustrating. Sigh. Feel for you. :hug: Well, I guess you just got an unplanned rest.

Mel: Have a great time on your ski trip. Sounds like the timing of this is good too. An opportunity to heal a little bit from those pushups. Maybe a bit of "active rest" perhaps.

Glad to know I'm not silly for using the same colors in my new home. It does feel like home. The day that the color went up in the basement I felt giddy. It's been a week, maybe two since I've finished the family room downstairs and my DS1 told me last night how much better HE likes it. It's really more like a happy yellow color than gold.

Had a rushed workout this morning but it's fine. That's kind of the problem with wanting to take a class in the middle of your workout. I decided to just switch gears, consider it a active rest kind of workout and then go back to hit it hard on Friday. (Painting tomorrow)

Rhonda: Nice weight with the squats! My goal right now is more endurance than strength so I'm lighten the load a little bit. I've gotten into the habit of "thinking" I can only get 6-8 reps in per set before conking out. Reality is I should be able to do a little more. Obviously when I'm lifting a heavier weight, 6-8 is fine. But now even when I go lighter with the intention of doing 10-12 I'm mentally fatiguing at 8. Yeah. That's gotta stop. :s: Need to work a little more on endurance again.

K. Off to explore this backyard and all of the daffodills that are popping up. I had lunch with the deer yesterday but it appears they had better thing to do today.

Make it a great one everyone! :coffee:

Tomato
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Lydia,
Your colours are lovely - I know both Gold2 and Gold3 and I like them.
I have been on a colour rampage since last summer. Not sure if I mentioned it here but I painted a large wall (the wall running from my LR to my DR) bright green and then I just kept adding pops of colour all over the place. A friend of mine says I have orange spots on my retina. So my house looks like an exotic parrot right now, but I love painting and it's not a big deal to change it.

I did not swim today as on Monday I did have to change my workout to accommodate my tired arms and shoulders. I am heading to the gym in the evening.

Nelie -
why didn't I think of it before? Another option is horseradish. THat should clear your sinuses instantly. My favourite salad is finely grated 1/2 of a carrot, 1/2 of a (tart) apple with some grated horseradish mixed in. Dressing: water with lemon or lime juice and a bit of agave extract as sweetener (just enough dressing to make the salad moist. It's a megadose of vitamin C.

Mel,
enjoy the skiing trip. LIke you, I am hoping spring will make it up here soon. My dogs have a cabin fever.

Rhonda,
I am thinking of a mesquite barbecue while I am eating my veggie salad with flaked tuna. :drool

Alena

Shannon in ATL
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Rhonda and Alena - now I want barbeque instead of my chicken salad for lunch. Phooey.

Nelie - sorry that you aren't feeling well!

Lydia - I would se the same colors from house to house, too. I'm also familiar with your colors and they are fabulous.

Mel - enjoy your ski trip! And I think resting the 'macro tears' was a very good idea.

I didn't rest yesterday after all, hit the treadmill Monday night and then did my weights yesterday afternoon before the opera. I'm giving serious consideration to a rest day today and then hitting double duty tomorrow with weights in the AM and a run at the park after work. We'll see. It might rain tomorrow, so I may have to hit it today to get the sunshine.

Tejas
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Lydia, I know the mental fatigue at 8! I wondered if counting backwards would help :lol:

I'm enjoying the talk about colors. I have not repainted this house we bought last year because the colors are neutral enough. But, if I were going to paint, I'd use the colors from the last house also. I'd like a nice red for the dining area, any suggestions?

Speaking of colors, my last kitchen was deliberately painted to look like a Mexican cantina. There were parrot green base cabinets, cobalt blue tile, and a chili pepper red wall! Ole!

I've looked for a video of split squat to row and can't find one, so I'll try to explain. Stand facing a cable stand (can't think of what to call them), bend down on one knee. With the hand on the same side of the body reach out and pull a cable out toward you, with a pistol grip. Now, stand up on the bent leg and pull the cable handle in closer toward your body.

is that clear?

Mel
03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Got it! Thanks, Rhonda :)

I think I'm packed. and unpacked. and packed again.

Lydia227
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Rhonda: Oh Yes! :yes: As soon as you mention cable with I"m assuming a weight stack...it's clear. I was picturing dumb bells with more of a bulgarian split squat movement. :dizzy:

Hmmm. Reds. I've used Laura Ashley LA318 Summer Pudding which is pretty red. Some have described it as ox blood red. It actually has a little bit of a more yellow undertone to it which seemed to work well with my other colors. The second red I'm considering is a Valspar Posh Red 1011-4 which seems to be much deeper in color. Think sexy red nail polish red. I"m leaning toward that one for the foyer and to surround the fireplace. :devil: If it's a bust you'll all hear me curse the moment it dries. I still have a few weeks to test the colors.

I like the description of your kitchen. I really enjoy those colors and creativity inspire. How fun. Cobalt blue is really beautiful.

Elana: Your colors sound like a lot fun too. Since your a painting pro wanna help? :D

Shannon: Enjoy the opera! Sounds like a good plan if rain is in the forecast. Also know that rest days always have a way of finding us too. ;)

Tons of yard work here to do today and I really need to finish painting a walk in closet. DH wants his office back this weekend. Sigh.

It's all good. I'll be in the gym tomorrow along with a great yoga class as a finisher.

Enjoy the day folks. :coffee:

Tejas
03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Lydia, yes, there is a weight stack. Guess who can't do much weight yet? :lol: But, at least I'm standing up now and not falling all over the place. I'm also pushing through the heel more productively. This exercise is really my bete noir. How I can do squats with 40 pounds and have trouble with this one is very irritating. But, I'm learning.

Red nail polish red....gotta love it.

Shannon in ATL
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Ooo, I love the vision of red nail polish red paint. I had red in my living room at my last apartment, and my bedroom is red at our house now. Love it. It is supposed to be good for positive energy and chi and stuff. :)

Tomato
03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Shannon,
which opera did you go to see? I LOVE opera. Especially if it's Verdi.

I'm Not Really A Waitress is my favourite red nail polish. The colour is spectacular. (It's OPI, as you may have guessed from the name).

Spinning class in the morning and swimming at lunch. Maybe I should hop on the treadmill in the evening to make it a mini-triathlon day? :)
But the idea of a third shower in one day does not excite me.

Anybody watched Fear Factor last night? In all the years it has been running I probably see 2 or 3 episodes (years ago). I watched last night out of desperation as I could not find anything better and the contestants had to eat a slice of pizza that consisted of:
crust = bovine stomach
sauce = coagulated blood
toppings = either live worms or fish eyes
There was also some rancid cheese on top. It looked truly disgusting (and they all puked it out afterwards). But hey, it was a lot of protein, no? THe worms looked crunchy. :tied:

Alena

Tejas
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Alena! From Verdi to fish eyes and crunchy worms! You are a real woman of the world!!!

My mother wore Revlon's "Love That Red" nail polish all the time I knew her.

Our temperature is in the 70's; I'm going outside to plant something.

Lydia227
03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Rhonda: The difficulty you are experiencing with the split squat row is very very normal. In fact...as I read the description the first thing I thought of was some of my personal training sessions with GoFitness under Charlie's (my trainer) tutelage. Most frustrating experience ever. Here I am, very strong and the fitest I've ever been and he has me dying and on my knees over these crazy functional training exercises and I'm only using a 10 pound dumb bell or maybe 10 pounds on a weight stack. Serious head trip.

Here's the thing, with this you are using so much to balance yourself and use muscles in corrective ways. I found it exhausting both physically and neurologically after my workouts. :dizzy: But I learned and improved so much as a result. See!~ I KNEW you had a good trainer. :goodvibes:

Alena: Hope I never sees those selections on a menu during pizza night with the boys. :barf:

What a great name for a nail polish color.

Tejas
03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Lydia, thanks for sharing :lol: Oh, the humiliation of it all! It takes me two full days to recover from the total body workout. The upper body emphasis isn't so taxing. Yesterday I did that one, then had a massage. I felt slightly sick last night even though the massage had not been deep tissue but Swedish. I think in the future I'll have a day between a workout and a massage.

jamsk8r
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Hello, ladies! :wave:

Been missing you all. Looks like the same old suspects still hitting it hard in the gym and getting stronger and fitter. :strong:

The update from here, I'll try to keep it short (haha):
Signed myself up for a 50 mile ultramarathon run June 4, so have been training for that, while keeping up with the Crossfit and strongman training. Also signed myself up for the strongman/CF competition at my gym in the fall (went ahead and paid my entry so I don't end up like last year where I trained and wanted to compete, then had no work and couldn't spare the entry fee...doh!).
Been running and working out harder than ever, but then I'm hungrier than ever, so must be over-eating or too many calories somewhere, cuz I'm just sitting about 175-180 lbs..grr! Trying to dial in the diet and just ignore the hungries..some days I win, some I don't, but I'll keep on fighting for it. I could really, really benefit from dropping 15-20 lbs before that frickin 50 mile run!

Lifting Stuff:
Been having a weekly smackdown with my trainer's wife, doing one max lift, usually for a 1RM if we're feeling it that day. Got a DL PR @253, Back Squat 3RM PR @170, 1RM @175 when we did Steinborn lifts. Overhead stuff, plus cleans and snatches are still pretty weak comparatively, but the shoulder's been staying healthy, so those are slowly coming back. Been working the Strongman stones, got a PR loading the 175# stone, which was a 2011 goal, now working the 200#, got that one in my lap and stood up with it, but couldn't get it high enough on my chest to load it. Soon, though, soon!

CF stuff:
Been helping out some when my trainer is gone, running the wod so his wife can run the On Ramp classes or just when she needs a break. Took the Oly Lifting cert with Coach B at our gym recently. It was super fun, great trainers, Coach B is a hoot...a few of us went to Starbucks and to dinner at my trainer's house Saturday night, it was fun. Todd W started up a CFKids program at our gym, and I've been helping out with that. Couldn't pass up a chance to work with Todd...he's an awesome coach and one of the best people you could hope to meet. Not sure yet if I'll be a good kids trainer, but I'm having fun so far and have a little time to think about it before the kids' cert in May.

Home stuff:
My boy is 14. Some days I want to kill him, other days he seems like his old, happy, helpful self. :frypan: Jealous of all the house painting and pretty colors. I'm still living with white walls. Would love to take some time and money out to spiff up the old place this summer. I also have nice little daydreams about summer weather, a trimmed up yard, and nothing to do but cookout or sit by a nice little fire in the fire pit. Yeah, probably not gonna happen, but a girl can dream!

Next weekend a couple of guys from our gym are fighting at a community college up north, one MMA fight and one Muy Thai (thai boxing) fight, respectively. A couple of us went last month to watch them, my first time, and I loved it! There were a couple of girl bouts and the girls were awesome, much more aggressive and fun to watch than the guys, lol. So, we're going again, planning to go out to eat some evil burgers first, then watch the fight.

I think that's all the news from here. I'll try to remember to check in more often. :wave:

Lydia227
03-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Cheryl: Great to see your post. The volume of work you must be doing for all of this is amazing. Really impressive strength gains while training for endurance. You totally rock. It's no wonder you are needing to take in more food right now.

I can only imagine how much fun you are also having while running the WOD. :devil: You will make an awesome kids trainer as well. Can't wait to hear all those stories so go make it happen. :hug:

So far I still have a great 12 year old but the edge of the teenager about to enter the room has introduced himself a couple of times. I may need to borrow your frying pan in a couple of months. :lol:

Do not give in to the daydreams of a perfect summer day and a trimmed yard. It exists only for the Home Depot commercials.

Tejas
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Cheryl, I enjoyed your post also. I looked up Steinborn lifts; what will people think of next?! While I was browsing I saw videos of women deadlifting twice their body weight. I'll be happy if I just get to doing body weight!

I agree with Lydia and am betting that you'll do really well with the kids. I look forward to hearing your stories. Good luck with the certification.

Ah, teenagers. The best we can hope for is that our children will have children and will be paid back in spades!!

On the home front here, I did 60 pounds with the split squat to row yesterday. Other than stumbling everywhere and getting jerked back toward the weight stack, I did OK ;) I'm going to the gym later to do HIIT on the elliptical and the upper body workout.

WaterRat
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Ah Rhonda, Lydia beat me to the punch on why split squats (never mind with rows!) are hard - you're working to keep yourself balanced and upright on that leg. THey are my nemesis. :)

Cheryl - good to hear from you. You are one busy woman!

Love all the talk of colors. We painted most of the inside of our house about 3 years ago, and I'm in no hurry to do it again. Last summer we had the two worst sides - South and East - painted. They get full sun much of the day and were faded and flaky. Looks much better now.

Tejas
03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
If the link works, it's a demo of split squat to row, which everyone has figured out by now anyway. I get much lower than he does in this demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCO9UJ_Dio

Lydia227
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep. There it is. Thanks for the link Rhonda. :coach: Remember to keep your shoulders squared and abs tight. Some exercises still haunt me. :lol:

Tejas
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh yes, shoulders and abs..also look UP, not at the cable attachment or floor; push from the heel; not the ball of the foot; use the pistol grip, not overhand; and do two sets of 12 at least; increase the weight over time; don't fall over! :faint: :lol:

silverbirch
03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
If the link works, it's a demo of split squat to row, which everyone has figured out by now anyway. I get much lower than he does in this demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lCO9UJ_Dio

Thanks, as I wasn't following.

My accent's a bit like his. Such a surprise, as I was expecting a Texan! :)

Shannon in ATL
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Alena - I went to see Porgy & Bess. It was fantastic.

Rhonda - thanks for the exercise link, I had an idea of it but it wasn't clicking either.

Cheryl - hey!

My six year old already thinks he is a teenager... He told me last week that he needed his space. I told him he had 12 years before he had any space of his own. :)

I have eaten nothing but crap and haven't exercised for three days, including today. I feel pretty terrible today - sinus headache, head congestion, ears ringing, headache. Lydia is right - rest days have a way of finding you.

Good day everyone!

Lydia227
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Shannon :hug: Hope you are feeling like a run through the park real soon.
Decent legs workout today. My squats and deadlifts are pitiful right now. My right SI joint is really tender and I'm just real reluctant to load it right now. But I did pull at 135 which is my typical weight. But my backsquat was just the free bar and while it was a complete squat to the bottom, I could feel all sorts of knee's rolling in on the way up which never happens to me. I'm thinking it was a subconscious way of protecting the lower back. After that I just racked it and decided to move on...:^: There were other things I could do that worked fine (step ups/split squats) with just a little weight.

My goal this week is to continue to work on endurance over strength and to eat as clean as possible. It's time to lean out before it's warm enough for skirt weather. :yes:

Beautiful day here in NOVA after yesterday's downpours. Nice to see the sun. How's everyone else doin'? :sunny:

Tejas
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I had a good total body workout today.

I went to see my trainer but we had a mix-up about the time. So, I did my workout without his guidance and had a cute exchange with a guy at the gym. I do chest presses with only 20 pounds added to the bar, and at about the 8th rep on the second set of 12 my right shoulder sometimes just quits. I asked this young guy with biceps about the size of my thighs and shoulders you wouldn't believe to spot me. He was happy to do so and when I finished he said "Lady, you're strong." :rofl: He could probably snap my neck in a second but said I was strong... what fun!

For deadlifts I added 110 pounds to the T bar and did 12 reps, then added 10 more pounds and was able to do 6 at that weight before my hands gave out. That's my highest weight using the T bar (or are they called X bars??)

Lydia, you could send us some of that rain, please. We need it.

Lydia227
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh Rhonda, that's so cute. Thanks for the story.

nelie
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
So today was my first official WOD in well a long time. I went light but it was still rough. We did Roy
5 rounds of
15 deadlifts (I did 105)
20 box jumps (I did step ups)
25 pullups (I did jumping pullups)

My time was just over 32 minutes.

Then after that, we did 400 meter walk with 2 35 lb kettlebells. The walk hurt more than I expected. My legs feel like jelly despite me trying to 'take it easy'. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Shannon in ATL
03-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Nelie - glad you made it back for a workout!

Rhonda - I love that story. :)

kaw
03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Morning, everyone. I'm back from HI after a lovely trip but an absolutely brutal 25-hour return journey. (The trip began with an incompetent customer service agent who canceled all of our seats and one of three tickets, and ended with a 6.5 hour drive through the worst snowstorm of the season.) HI was great, though: a bit of rain, as usual, but good body surfing/boogie-boarding, critter-watching, daily beach running, snorkeling, shelling, and hiking. Speaking of, one of the highlights of the trip was an 11-mile day hike on the less tourist-infested section of the NaPali coast. (We saw more wild goats and whales than fellow hikers, which is unusual on Kauai these days.) I was so proud of The Boy, who lead the hike virtually the whole way without a single whine or complaint.

All this activity was accompanied by a lot of eating, too, so who knows how it will all shake out on the scale. That's tomorrow's worry: today is the usual post-vacation, put-out-the-fires-at-work day. Oh, and I also need to track down our lost baggage, which is stuck in either SFO, PHL, or La Guardia, depending on which baggage agent I believe. Fortunately (?), we don't particularly need our shorts and t-shirts quite yet.

//b. strong

Kim

Lydia227
03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh Kim, welcome home. So glad you had a great time in HI. The return sounds like a nightmare. These trips are suppose to be relaxing right?

Really great workout today. Seriously good. Hasn't been this good for a long time. Upper body is so fatigued it aches. It hasn't even been an hour since post workout. :goodvibes: I haven't felt this since my workouts last July.

So, does anyone have experience with chia seeds, or have I already asked this? I have some mixed up with FAGE yogurt for my late afternoon feed. Supposed to help boost energy and be filling. It seems promising...If it helps with the late afternoon fatigue+intense post workout hunger I'll let you all know. :crossed:

nelie
03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I use chia but I don't find them energizing. I think that part is in the mind :)

Once in a while, I'll make chia pudding which is basically almond milk, chia seeds and whatever else. Vanilla and raisins are my usual mix-ins.

Shannon in ATL
03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't know if it was the eight weeks of hard core DB workouts or the increased running in that same time period or a combination of both, but my calves look fantastic today. And my roundhouse kick rocked on Friday.

Tejas
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Welcome back, Kim. So, how was the bikini!?

Well, let's hear for calves and kicks! And really great workouts. Good going everyone. I was at the gym at 6:15 doing UB routine. If I didn't go then I wouldn't be able to go today: too busy.

I have only heard of chia seeds, can't help there.

kaw
03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
The bikini was fine. It's been a long time since I've felt this good in my skin, if you know what I mean, and worth every hour in the gym. But, it did lead to a minor skirmish with my mother. I love my mother dearly, and she and I can talk about almost anything, including religion and politics. Anything, that is, except weight and body aesthetics.

Went to the gym this evening for an upper body workout. I wish I could say that it was a great workout like Lydia and Rhonda's, but I can't: all my lifts were down, some pretty significantly. Oh well, I guess that's what I should expect from 2.5 weeks away from the iron: running, hiking, and pullups just don't cut it for keeping up the ol' bench press.

Shannon, your comment about your calves made me giggle, in a good way. Only on a lifting board would someone comment on progress made on *calves*, and everyone else know exactly why such progress is worth a post. :)

//b. strong,
Kim

neurodoc
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I should probably stop lurking on this board so much, and start posting more regularly (but I'm such a lurker). I'm pretty new to free weight lifting (when I was younger, I used to use weight machines a lot), but started the NROL4W back in late September, and I've now made it through the entire book. I really enjoy lifting heavy (meaning, to fatigue after 6-10 reps, depending on the day, 3 days per week), and am very happy with my strengh gains over the last 6 months, but I've developed chronic joint pain in my shoulders, hips and left wrist. Do you have these problems? I noticed Lydia commenting on a problematic SI joint but suspect that joint problems are probably par for the course with this activity. OTOH, I haven't used a trainer for anything, just youtube videos and a mirror to monitor my form (and the ever-helpful stickies at the top of this forum!). I guess I don't want to spend my old age getting joint replacements and degenerative arthritis, so I'm wondering how much of this is from stuff I can fix (like, lifting too heavy or bad form) vs. from the nature of weight lifting.

kaw
03-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Hi Neurodoc. I can't answer your questions about joints with anything except personal experience. I've had a couple of chronic joint issues, one (elbow) that's pretty clearly lifting related and another (hip) that's not as clearly lifting related.

In both cases, form is a big contributor, but so is overuse. I can definitely feel my elbow after a period in which I've been doing a lot of pullups with inadequate rest days between workouts. My hip issue is more likely to be triggered by too much cardio or by too many hours in a car or airplane than by lifting, but once it's inflamed, squatting doesn't help matters.

In terms of immediate treatment, rest + ice is about all that works for me. Some people have good luck with glucosamin, but it doesn't do much for me.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd invest in good coaching from an Oly lifter from day 1, before I got into bad habits by trying to self-teach. Granted, you-tube didn't exist in those days; then again, you-tube videos can teach abysmal form.

That being said, if a particular exercise is giving you joint pain no matter how hard you work on form, try substituting other exercises. No one *has* to do squats or deadlifts, except perhaps powerlifters or aspiring powerlifters.

Another suggestion is to give yourself a training break for a week or two. If you've been lifting since September, you're probably at the point where you need one, if not mentally than physically. Give all those little aches and pains a chance to go away before they become chronic overuse injuries that keep you out of the gym for months.

//b. strong,
Kim

Lydia227
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello Neurodoc :wave: Congratulations on completing the NROL4W!

Sorry to know you are suffering joint pain. The first day I was introduced to strength training someone told me that there is good pain and there is bad pain. Learn to know the difference. Acute joint paint is a warning to slow things down a bit. Build in some recovery. Just as Kim said, take a week or two off. If you are not seeing improvement and still are in pain seek medical advice from a physician.

You know how our muscles create microtears while lifting and we know to take 48 hours from that activity to heal those tears...same thing with ligaments and tendons. They also will create these little microtears as well. They also need to heal.

Here's something to consider: The muscle tissue is much quicker to heal and adapt to your training loads than your tendons and ligaments. So even though you might be able to ramp up that weight in a short period of time, your connective tendons and ligaments still need a little longer to acclimate to the increased demand.

We also need to be mindful of how much we are loading in weight as well as how often we are engaging that muscle as a primary mover or even a stabilizer in the other exercises we do in our workout that day.

Respect where you are. Embrace what you have already accomplished and allow your body the time necessary to heal.

Are these types of injuries totally preventable? Uhm, no.

What we can do is take preventative approaches that lessen the chance that the injury may occur. That means working with someone who truly understands proper form and is talented enough to be able to coach your body into that position. Someone who can immediately recognize your imbalances and help you correct them with additional exercises in mobility, and range of motion. It means regularly using a foam roller for self myofascial release before and/or after your workout. It means supporting your efforts with sound nutrition and restful sleep.

Best of luck. I hope something in here helps. But at the end of the day please don't just walk around with chronic pain thinking that it's the tradeoff for developing strength.

jamsk8r
03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Hola, ladies! :wave: Welcome, Neurodoc!

Suffering a little here from lack of sleep, but hoping to remedy that soon. Tried last night, but then my son let his cat into my room, so after 4 hours, the cat woke me up to be let outside...bleh. Maybe tonight, lol.

Eating has been dodgy the last few days. Emotionally feeling frustrated, I think. I've been doing all this training and running, but then I'm taking in too many cals, I think, so actually getting fatter around the middle, then my TOM is all jacked up (was 13 days long last month, wtf, then 9 days off, and it started up again...my sister says normal for getting older, but that's just freaking annoying, to say the least). Going to start keeping a food journal for a few weeks, try to keep it OP, see if I can start leaning out. If I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, I may put up a post here and see you all can help me dial it in. Was up to 180 today, and the extra weight is just not helping. Want to get it back down to 160-165 and so my pants fit. NOT going through the whole wardrobe replacement again unless it's a size down!

Fight night this Saturday. I'm so looking forward to just having a night out with my adult friends, even though what I could use is a sunny vacation, lol.

That's all for now. On my way to do a fencing job in the rain. All work is good work, though, so not really complaining!

nelie
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I've never felt so defeated by a workout. We did 150 wallballs. It was murder. I finished in 20 minutes but it felt like 40.

Mel
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
nelie- That is one of THE WORST workouts. Don't beat yourself up about it. The first time I did it, I stood next to a pert little Ukrainian Olympic Nordic Skier- and tried to pace her. I had to stop at 80 and rest for 5 minutes then move away to a wall section by myself.

I'm sick, sick, sick, Picked up some lousy bug either on the plane or out west. The skiing was fantastic, but getting sick is not. I have a CrossFit cert course this weekend, so I need to be healthy quickly.

No workout yesterday because I thought I was going to die just walking to the train and down the stairs.

Welcome back, Kim! I though of you in Hawaii when I was freezing in high winds at the top of Breckenridge. :rofl: I'm glad you felt good in your skin- that's an accomplishment. And kudos to the boy!

Nuerodoc- Welcome! I'm also prone to joint pain, but as Lydia says, it's usually from overuse. I have on and off bad tendinitis in the extensors of my right forearm. Between all the pull ups, overhead Olympic lifts, and computer work that I do, it's hard to heal it. Years ago when I was doing too much heavy bench pressing, I let my doc talk me into a cortisone injection. Never again! It is catabolic and because I felt better, I just lifted heavier (no one ever accused me of good judgment when it comes to my own training!) . Take a break or do something different for a while. Chronic pain should NOT be a requirement for strength! Ligaments and tendons take far longer to adapt to stresses than muscles, so you might have gone up in weight faster than your connective tissue could adapt.

Rhonda- Good on you!

:wave: everyone :)

Mel

Shannon in ATL
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Good morning everyone! I'm feeling more healthy today, though still feel like my head is wrapped in cotton. So much better than Monday though... I've taken this week as a strength training break, did some kickboxing Tuesday, elliptical yesterday, am going to try for a run at the park today if the 17 mph winds don't beat me.

Welcome neurodoc! I have some overuse pain sometimes, too, but not a lot of chronic pain. Mel may be right, maybe increased weight too fast? Training breaks are a good idea, too. I was just pondering taking one, then nature took over and I got sick and had to take one. Push too hard and your body will take the choice away sometimes. :)

Cheryl - I see a lot of people gain while training for long races, getting back to the journal should help.

Nelie - that workout sounds brutal!

Kim - glad the bikini worked! And I'm glad you liked the post about my calves. I do love that I have somewhere to say that where people understand. :)

I've never heard of chia seeds, so can't be of any help there.

Good day everyone! :wave:

nelie
03-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I think the worst part of "Karen" (150 wallballs) is that you can't fake it. I mean, my height wasn't great and never has been with wallballs. Every once in a while, I'll hit regulation height but normally I'm below that. Yesterday, I'd do 1 decent one, go to do the next and it would be crap. So I basically paused after every single wall ball, sometimes I did 2 in a row but it wasn't until I did the last 5 where I actually did 5 in a row and my last one wasn't great but I took it. My legs were shaking, my arms were shaking and today it is mostly my arms that are sore.

Tejas
03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, I've never done too many wallballs, so I think the worst part must be the 150 part :lol:

Mel, sorry you are so sick! I like the way you put it about Kim's post...feeling good in your skin. That's so important.

Cheryl, good luck with the weight issue. Those hormones are a real challenge. I've been seriously thinking of having mine investigated.

Welcome, neurodoc. This is a great site, as you obviously know.

I did 162 pounds on the deadlift today. I could do only 5 reps, putting the weight down and waiting a bit before the next rep. But, I did it.

kaw
03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Morning, everyone!

I had my first leg workout since my vacation on Thursday, and today I have the classic second-day sores. As I was enjoying my coffee this morning, The Big Cat jumped up on my lap, straight onto my exceedingly sensitive quads. I yelped out loud and spilled my (fortunately cooling) coffee on his head, which made him yelp and jump down again. This made me yelp again, as he pushed his not inconsiderable bulk off against my quads. So much for a relaxing morning with my coffee! :)

Yesterday was a cardio day. Today I have to go into work -- I have a big deadline on Tues and another on Thursday -- and I'll treat it as a workday work-out day, too. I hit my weight and BF% goals, and know from experience that this is a "danger" time for me: busy at work + at goal + lousy weather = a tendency to get too complacent.

Hope everyone is having / will have a great weekend!

//b. strong,
Kim

Mel
03-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm at a CrossFit Certification weekend and have now done Fran 2 days in a row :p:p:p We did it at my box on Friday and it was the workout du jour at the cert. Blech!

Tejas
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a problem with my right leg. Just below the knee cap, slightly to the left center, I can feel a cyst and it is painful. The area feels warm and bruised, but there's no visible bruising, and I have no recollection of hitting my leg.

I noticed it first on Tuesday morning in spinning class. The area hurt coming up out of the saddle, but not going back down. It hurts to kneel on it, but there's no pain with squats of any kind (even with weight on my shoulders).

I can feel it all the time. Icing it feels good, but doesn't change it. I WILL get it checked but I browsed on a few sites and I wonder if it is bursitis. Anybody ever had that?

Mel
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Rhonda- Get it checked. Sometimes when I've really been too hard on my knees I have fluid that hangs around slightly to the outside of my patella just above where the tibia glides ( or doesn't glide), but it always disappears overnight and I can't feel any cyst-like sack.

I passed the Certification :) I'm now a Level I Crossfit Trainer....if I ever want to go back to training. A kettle bell cert is next on my agenda. Maybe next year.

I pulled on a pair of pants that I bought 3 years ago and had the delight and amazement that they fit me loosely. Even after all these years, it still amazes me that I no longer live in "new year-bigger size" land.

Mel

Tejas
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Getting it checked at 10:30AM tomorrow by someone who supposedly knows sports medicine. I'll report what he says. I did my total body today but took it easy on squats...just did body weight.

Congratulations on passing the certification. Now, we should all come to you and you can be our trainer! And, that's great news about the pants too!

I'm afraid that the pants I wore this time last year are not loose! But, I'll get there and I can still wear them.

Mel
03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Rhonda- I've actually held a variety of Personal Trainer certifications for the last 10 years. I used the CrossFit cert to get Continuing ed credits to keep my other certifications. :) I Went back to the banking world about 4 years ago when I needed real money and benefits- something most trainers don't get.

Lydia227
03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Mel: Congratulations on your recent cert! So how much did you suffer through Fran two days in a row?

You were lean three years ago....now those pants are loose? You have mentioned how fantastic you feel doing these workouts and the level of fitness you developed surprised you. I guess you weren't kidding. :sunny:

Rhonda: I'll look forward to hearing how your appointment went. I've had and still have little bumps/masses anterior to the patella. No pain but sometimes they do flare up. I don't know if this is the same thing you are describing but they can be troublesome. Best of luck with your appointment.

My speed rope arrived yesterday so I'm looking forward to going in today with some new music. I also have a forest to rake and weed...I'm still trying to rescue daffodills.

Have a great day everyone :coffee:

jamsk8r
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Mel, congrats on your Level 1! and loose pants...I need to get back to where mine are loose.

I dropped out of the CFKids trainer-in-training gig. It was just one too many commitments on my plate right now, and actually was starting to clash with my work schedule now that the yard work jobs are picking up again. They had plenty of help, so I decided to give myself a break. I'm having enough trouble trying to carve out time to do my run training for this ultra. :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Congrats Mel!

Rhonda - I'm glad that you have an appointment today, hope it goes well.

Lydia - enjoy your new speed rope!

Cheryl - when is your ultra? Sorry you had to drop the CFKids training, maybe you can get back into it when things slow back down.

My half marathon is Sunday, so I'm in my taper week. I find taper week almost as intimidating as the race itself. I lived through last year so I know I'll survive, but I'm not as prepared as I could be so I'm expecting a slower time than last year.

Good day everyone!

Tejas
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Mel, I know about the importance of salary and benefits! I was one of the negotiators with my faculty union for a number of years. I'm glad you have them.

OK, the doctor said that there is a "calcification", took an x ray and made an appointment for me next Wednesday with an orthopedist.

While Lydia is rescuing daffodils, I've been pulling them up by their ever-so-deep roots. There's at least a million more to do, just in the front yard. I let them live in the backyard which belongs to birds, squirrels, grandkids, and weeds.

Cheryl, I'm sure that there will still be kids around when you have time to get the training in.

Mel
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Why are you pulling up daffodils :eek: Make sure your deadlift form is correct and then send me all the bulbs!!! :rofl:

Tejas
03-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh, good grief! I was thinking about dandelions!! :rofl: I won't send the puff balls.

Thanks for the advice about the deadlifts. My trainer and I talked about that today. He said that my form is very good on deadlifts and squats. Thank goodness it doesn't hurt much, and it hurt mostly when I did jumps out of the saddle while in spinning class.

This particular doctor said to keep doing what I'm doing as long as it doesn't hurt when I do it. He said to use ice and take analgesics when needed.

I looked around on various sites about calcification and knees. Of course they all say to strengthen the quads and don't stress the knees. I had to laugh because I can't think of one thing to do to strenghten quads that doesn't require stressing the knees at least somewhat.

Oh well, I'll know more in a week. Losing more weight would obviously help!

I will gone for the next 5 days, but will be on the computer from time to time and will check in. I'm going to NM and the area. Off to Albuquerque, Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Durango. :wave:

jamsk8r
03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I've actually tried pulling up daffodils, boring white ones planted by the previous owners, that were in a bed I didn't want them in. They seemed to thrive on it and just tripled in number, so I quit doing that. Maybe I can kill them with overcrowding and neglect, lol. Rhonda, not sure if it works in Texas, but here, if it's a place you can mow, give the lawn the golf course green short cut and keep it short and bag the clippings. The dandelions can't go to seed and the parent plant eventually dies off. Friend of mine told me that trick years ago, and it works for me just fine. I keep the front lawn short, let the dog yard (right next to it) grow up a little taller with dandelions and all, but still don't get dandelions in the front yard all summer.

We did 1RM deadlifts Tues. I did this recently with the fat bar/axle, and got a PR at 253, so wasn't expecting much. I did 255, and it didn't feel like the last rep, so I thought I'd just go for 265 (having failed 260 several times previous). Pulled the 265 and it went up relatively easy..hmm. Put 275 on there, and it was UGLY, but I got it! Decided to quit there before my spine popped out, lol. Getting closer to my big 300# DL goal...maybe I'll get it in 2011...maybe! :crossed:

Had scheduled a Smackdown with my trainer's wife to do heavy snatch balance yesterday morning. She wussed out (lol) since her quads were still killed from doing Cindy on Monday, so I ended up just practicing alone. I stuck with 53# and tried to just work on timing. It's not that easy, apparently, to time it so you hit the bottom of the squat at the same time that you're locking it out overhead. My last 2 reps were as close as I could get, so I quit while I was ahead.

Ran 3-1/2 hours last night, ate a little chicken (2 oz) and a cup of veggies partway through the run, to see what would happen if I ate some regular food. Ugh, stomach bloated up and felt awful. Not sure if it was the food or too much water/needing more electrolytes, but took a salt tab which seemed to fix the bloat problem, though I still didn't feel very good for the rest of the run (which ended up being more walk than run because of the stomach issues). Oh well, this is why I'm trying this stuff out in my training runs first, right?

I'd planned to call and see if I could work a yard job this morning, since it wasn't raining, but woke up with my stomach still feeling queasy, and my back and neck locked up from the deadlift DOMS. Had to settle for a shower and rubbing alcohol for the back (which was great fun trying to put on by myself when I could barely lift my arms), and the only food that appealed to my sad stomach (oatmeal, which did the trick, I think it was just empty, but my normal breakfast of fruit and/or meat just seemed like it wouldn't sit well). Feeling back to normal now that I can actually turn my head and my stomach has quit complaining.

Going to the gym this afternoon. The wod is OH Squat/Front Squat/Back Squat, 5 sets of singles for each. Not sure I can do the front squats yet, still nursing that stupid index finger that I overextended a few weeks ago doing heavy cleans (with slow elbows, apparently), but I'll see what it feels like. After the wod is a going away party for one of our guys, who is moving to Florida for work. He wears a lot of Spongebob shirts, and when I was at Walmart the other day, I found a "boo boo buddy" ice pack that's a spongebob one, so that's his going away present from me, lol. I figure, he's moving, so something small and cheap is good. He can either take it with, or trash it, but he should get a laugh out of it, at least.

I've been doing good with the food the last few days, and the scale is coming down, finally. Losing the water weight for sure, and hopefully will be working on the extra fat soon. Haven't had it together enough to journal my food/cals, but just going with smaller portions and eating when I feel hungry, but not allowing myself to "graze" on fruit and such when I'm not actually hungry, if that makes any sense. I think it was Robin that said, "no BLTs" and I just keep reminding myself of that, and making sure I'm getting enough, but not overdoing it. I'll stick with this as long as it seems to be working...

neurodoc
03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Ran 3-1/2 hours last night, ..
OMG, that's incredible. Was that a full 26 miles? More? I can't imagine doing anything more strenuous than breathing (ok, maybe hiking) for that long. I s*ck at running and 40 minutes is about my personal limit, so to me that's just amazing. Of course, a lot of your efforts are pretty amazing ...

I've been doing good with the food the last few days, and the scale is coming down, finally.
Excellent, though given the 3 1/2 hours, I can't imagine that it wouldn't.

On my end, I've been hunting around a little bit since completing the NROWL4W book, pondering whether to continue in that vein or find something new. I am happy with my strength gains and fat loss on that program, but have gotten a little uncomfortably "built" from it- I'm not in to the Amazon warrior look, and I've lost my waist curve despite lowering my body fat percentage (maybe from overdeveloping my external obliques?). So, I've been researching ways of lifting that will increase strength more than size.

Have any of you heard of Rusty Moore or the Fitness Black Book website? He claims that you will selectively build strength without bulk if you choose a weight and number of reps that does not work a muscle group to failure- he recommends 4-5 sets of just 5 reps each of a weight that is ~80% of your 1-rep max. For fat loss, he also advises 15-20 min of HIIT followed by another 15-20 min of steady-state cardio. His program makes intuitive sense to me, but I'm a relative novice to weight training, having only done the one program. Do any of you have opinions about it? Do any of you have experience with doing weight training to selectively increase strength without adding muscle mass?

Mel
03-18-2011, 06:19 AM
NICE Dead Lift. Cheryl! I'm completely stuck at 255. 255 and an ounce, and I can't budge the bar!

OK- I have to say it.... Don't you think your goals are somewhat contradictory? Ultra distance running and higher PR's on lifts, and losing fat generally don't work in concert. Nuf said- you know the same song and dance that I do. I've run 3 marathons and lost muscle and gained fat each time I trained for them. Plus numbed my brain.

My clothes are beginning to fall off me- DH has been trying to lose some weight that he put on when he broke his hand a year ago (took almost 8 months to heal) and we are not eating out at all, and having him not snacking is leading to me not snacking on weekends. It's all good!

This weekend I need to get out there and clean up winter from the gardens, then will join in a CrossFit outing to an indoor climbing facility. Should be fun! DH is out of town visiting DD in Columbus and scoping out houses (still looking in UA, Lydia) so I just might have a glass of wine and a snack while he's out of town :rofl:

Neurodoc- I've never heard of a way to increase general strength without adding some muscle mass...and why would you want that? Muscle is your friend. I have very strong opinions on the uselessness of steady state cardio, but I do it sometimes anyway because my body just can't take more or less daily CrosFit (which is high intensity interval training over the modalities of weights, gymnastics (body weight) and what we generally call cardio) PLUS cardio intervals. Steady state cardio doesn't push you through any metabolic thresholds. It trains you to stay in the oxidative pathway- while intervals increase both your glycogenic and oxidative thresholds. But, I have zero interest in every running long distances again. Longis more than 5k to me. I can easily run 5K doing short interval training. Just my 2 cents.

Mel

Tejas
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
:wave: from Durango, Colorado and Mesa Verde sites..off to Telluride.

I ate way too much today, but I've brought some stretch bands with me and am doing a lot of stretching, planks, pushups, etc. trying to keep up a routine while traveling in a car and taking short hikes.

Cheryl, good grief!!!! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Cheryl - I was thinking the same thing about training for an ultra while working on weight PRs. I have tried to do a similar thing the last two years training for half marathons while working on improving strength goals, and it has been hard. And wow, 3.5 hours! You rock!

Enjoy your trip Rhonda!

Neurodoc - I've never seen anything about adding strength without muscle, how does he say it works in his book?

I ran my half marathon this weekend, and finished two minutes and twenty eight seconds faster than last year, even though I hadn't done a run longer than 9 miles since November, and my last 10+ was in July. I guess that the interval training I have defaulted to the last year really did increase my speed and endurance. :) 2:26:52 with an 11:12 second per mile pace. Not going to win any races, but I do a little better than myself on each one and that is okay.

Tejas
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Back from my wonderful trip with my nephew, his wife and his sister, my niece. We had a great time seeing pueblo sites and mountains, but boy, I am tired.

I landed at 11:30 this morning and was working out by 3:30 :lol: Do I ever feel that I've taken a few days off. I imagine the altitude change from a few hundred feet to 11,000 and back again is a bit rough on the body also.

Anyway, back to my routine and looking forward to it.

Lydia227
03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Welcome home Rhonda! It sounds like a wonderful trip with a great balance of visiting, eating and exercising. Make sure to get some rest. I bet it did feel good to be back in a routine again. That was something I always looked forward to as well. Loved the travel but after visiting other places and the hotel "gyms" I was ALWAYS grateful to be back in my own gym.

Had a decent workout yesterday but I'm off the next two days. Still major backyard work to do. What has been finished is beautiful. The place has been neglected for years and under the overgrowth are some beautiful beds. I'm uncovering rock gardens that were hidden by weeds this summer when we moved in. My hands are a mess and my back is really achy but I'll enjoy it this summer. Pics when it's done. Maybe befores and afters...

Oh Shannon! Great job with your half marathon! I really admire your running experience. You and Cheryl both! I'm a horrid runner. Probably more in my head but I would rather lift than run on any day which is why the training for it never gets done. :lol3: anyway....just wanted to say congrats on your time.

jamsk8r
03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Neurodoc, no, lol, I'm very slow, especially with bathroom stops and walking breaks, I end up averaging 4 miles per hour when it's all said and done.

Mel, yes, they are contradictory and stupid goals, I agree! The funny thing is, lifting PRs are NOT my goal right now, they've just been coming on their own, probably because my weight is up, but also CFHQ upped the Rx weights last summer-ish, which I'm sure has played a part...95 is the new 65, 185 is the new 155, which is the new 135, so, all our women have gotten stronger in the process. I'm also NOT following a full marathon training schedule. Ultra marathoners in general actually train less intensely than marathoners, with more cross-training, from what I've seen, and I'm actually only doing the long runs and the occasional hill training/mid-distance run, so I think it just doesn't have the impact it would if I was running long 5 days a week. Probably not the "best" plan for running ultras, but my goal is just to finish without blowing up my knees or anything major, not to place or get a fast time. Whatever happens at the ultra, or on the scale, or even at the strongman contest in the fall, I'm loving my training schedule right now. I get to do all the fun stuff I love doing, not too much of each, but enough to keep it all fun. Can't ask for more, really (though it's in my nature to try for more, apparently, lol).

Today we're doing the DEA's Maltz Challenge:
Run 400 meters
50 pull-ups
100 meter fireman's carry
50 dips
100 push-ups
50 knees to elbows
100 sit-ups
Run 400 meters
-for time-

I wonder if there's an early start option? ;)

Shannon in ATL
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Wow Cheryl, that workout looks brutal. What do you carry for the 'fireman's carry' exercise?

Thanks Lydia! I love the lifting, it is challenging and makes me feel strong. I also find that I can lose myself in the running, which I also like. So I make the two mesh. :)

I've done nothing but foam rolling the last few days - I tried to run yesterday afternoon, but was still sore so threw in the towel and washed cars with DH instead. Planning some yoga tonight, getting back to strength training tomorrow. I haven't done any real lifting since early March, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go back to the DB circuits, the FB workout I used to do or try something else entirely.

Tejas
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
I read Cheryl's workout and had to take a nap :lol:

I've done two workouts since returning from my trip on Monday and hurt my left elbow somehow while doing upper body work. That limited what I could do yesterday, but the trainer devised something for me to do that kept me busy enough. I hadn't done jump-squats before so I have a new respect for those! I see the orthopedist tomorrow about the calcification on my right knee, so I'm hoping for clarification about that. Maybe he'll look at my elbow too while I'm there.

I'm envious of the running! There's a young woman running across the US to raise money for Boys and Girls Clubs and she came through Denton yesterday. She's at her half-way mark, and good for her!

Oh, did you read about the NCAA wrestling champ who was born with one leg?! No whining from him!! Amazing.

Shannon in ATL
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Jump-squats... I haven't done those in awhile... They definitely would distract you from the elbow Rhonda!

jamsk8r
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Well it was a good one, Rhonda, and I had to take a nap afterward, too! Not sure what my time was, since my trainer didn't hear me call time and missed it, but I think 35-40 minutes, cuz I suck at most of that stuff, so I had to peck at things a few reps at a time. The push-ups and KTEs were the worst for me, 2 reps at a time, and one rep at a time, respectively. Afterward, though, we had a catered lunch, BBQ pork and cornbread..it was sunny and almost 60 outside, so we sat in the parking lot, soaking up the sun...ahh! :beach:

Shannon, you carry a fireman...duh! :rofl: Just kidding, sorry, dumb joke. We had volunteers if you wanted to carry a person, or sandbags if you wanted a lighter weight. I just grabbed the first volunteer that didn't run in fear, Samantha, who, lucky for me, probably weighs 120 soaking wet. A person is much easier to carry than a sandbag, it turns out!

Mel
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Cheryl, you beat me to the punch. I was going to tell Shannon the same thing. We have a really gorgeous fireman at our Xfit...I'd volunteer to carry him! That workout does look brutal. The KTEs do in my shoulders.

I just discovered that I did the Sectionals workout too heavy. RX for the snatches for my ancient age class is 10 pounds less than what I did. I get to do it again!!! :p

Rhonda- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you at the doc tomorrow- hope it is an easy fix!

Mel

Tejas
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
The MD says that the calcification in my leg, below the knee, is a reaction to stress because the lower leg is compensating for the quad not working hard enough. I said "wait a minute, I have great quads!" He laughed and agreed but said that the right one is being a bit lazy. He gave me some simple exercises to do 500 times a day (yes, 500 times for each of 2 exercises). They are simple muscle tightening and relaxing routines. He said do them for two weeks, take an anti-inflammatory and let him know if it helps or not.

The elbow pain is simple tendonitis.

So, off to the see the trainer this afternoon!

Shannon in ATL
03-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Shannon, you carry a fireman...duh! :rofl: Just kidding, sorry, dumb joke.

Now I have a picture of Cheryl and Mel running across a gym carrying big, burly firemen over their shoulders. Love it! :dizzy:

Cheryl - I'm glad the workout went well! :)

Mel - :high: on the heavy workout!

Rhonda - hope the exercises help.

jamsk8r
03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Triceps...broken! Ugh...between the dips and the push-ups, I'm dying from DOMS today! The bad news is, I'm supposed to do the Sectionals wod today, since my back was out last week. Will try some tylenol and rubbing alcohol, see if I can get the arms loosened up, since my left shoulder is getting a jabbing pain from the overhead movement..just something tight that's pulling, I'm sure, but I don't want to rip something loose trying to do those snatches.

Mel, sorry to hear you have to repeat the wod, but good luck, hope you get a little more this time around with the lighter weight. :strong:

We're currently following a few weeks' worth of old wods from the CFdotcom site. Yesterday's wod was 15 medball cleans, 15 wallball, 5 rounds for time. Ugh. I really wanted a rest day yesterday, but since I hatehatehate both of those exercises, had to go in and do the wod, otherwise my trainer would give me no end of grief about it. :rolleyes:

(TMI alert! Guys close your eyes and skip this last bit!) This getting old thing is for the birds. Last month I had TOM for 13 days, then 9 days off, now I'm on TOM day 20! It's driving me crazy! Not hormonally, but more like, SERIOUSLY?!!! I don't have medical insurance or any money for a doctor visit, so I might have to swallow my pride and go apply for medicaid or whatever it's called at the welfare office, to see if I can go see a doc and get something done about it. This is just ridiculous and emotionally draining...yeesh! The good news is, I feel fine, it's just seriously annoying.

Tejas
03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Cheryl, re, TMI: there is no shame in getting medicaid. (I'll spare you my rant about the superiority of the Canadian health care system for matters such as this.) Go to the doctor or see a nurse practitioner.

Tejas
03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
One thing that amazes me is how much it takes out of me to increase the weight on chest presses by a small amount. For example, I lifted 70 pounds (including bar) for 12 reps twice, getting a little tired on the 7th rep on both sets, but able to do it.

Then yesterday, I increased the weight by only 5 pounds for the same reps and you would have thought I'd doubled the weight in terms of how tired I felt. I was able to do it at the time, but within 10 minutes I was tired :lol:

Lydia227
03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Cheryl: I'm with Rhonda on this. Please go apply so that you can get help and information from a physician. This has be to be exhausting both physically and emotionally. You do so much to take care of yourself and you do it very well. Sometimes though we need a little help in the process. Please go. :hug:

jamsk8r
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks, ladies. I will go and try, just not looking forward to it, and the only way I can get approved is if this qualifies as a "medical emergency" in their book. It would be nice to have it under control, though, or at least find out if it's normal and just a passing phase.

Well, that hero wod with all the dips and pull-ups and push-ups crippled me up last week, not permanently, but it kept me locked up for days. I took 2 rest days this weekend, ready to start fresh, and I see the wod for today at our gym is another mainsite wod from the archives, involving 150 squats, 105 pull-ups, 45 ring dips. I've never outright refused to do a wod, and I'm not about to start, but I might have to beg for mercy on this one, as I've GOT to be well enough to get a long run in this week, and not be broken when I do it. I also have a lot of pruning to do this week, at home and for work, and could stand for my triceps and shoulders to be available and functional for the task. :rolleyes: lol!

I'm going to try running to the gym and back home one day this week. Not the best scenery, but there are bathrooms and water at convenient intervals, which means I don't have to carry a 20 lb pack. That will be 24 miles, and my longest run to date. :crossed: It will be a good test for nutrition, hydration, electrolytes, to see if I'm closing in on a plan that works for me.

Rhonda, I'm with you on the chest presses. We don't do them often, but when we do, it's usually floor presses (since we only have 2 benches in the gym, not enough for everyone to bench press at once), and I'm always humbled by how quickly the bar seems to double in "weight". :rofl:

Shannon in ATL
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Cheryl - definitely apply for it and get to the doctor. Is there a health department near you? You could probably see a doctor there for a slightly lower price point if you get turned down.

neurodoc
03-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Cheryl, not only is it seriously annoying to have your period for weeks on end, it is likely to leave you at least slightly anemic (maybe very, if the flow is heavy), which will have a direct negative consequence on your workouts. Just sayin'.

I've been off my game ever since I finished the NROL4W workouts. I think I really need the structure that those workouts gave me (x reps, y sets, keep upping the weight a little each week...). Now that I'm on my own, I don't have nearly as good a routine, but hate to just keep mindlessly repeating the ones in the book. And, as previously mentioned by me, I'm really not anxious to get more mass and definition, just to build strength and stamina.

jamsk8r
03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Shannon and Neurodoc, thanks for the advice/ideas. Hadn't thought about being anemic.

@Neurodoc, if you're bored with your workouts, it's not everybody's cup of tea, but you might check out Crossfit(dot)com. They and many of their affliliates post daily workouts, it's a lot of variety, which keeps it fun, and a mix of lifting, bodyweight stuff, gymnastics, etc. Might give you some ideas for spicing things up. You might also check out Gymnastics wod (aka Gymwod) and Mobility wod (mwod), for some little extras you might enjoy adding to your program.

I ended up doing the squat/pull-up/dips wod yesterday, since I just couldn't think of a good substitute for it, and I can't run till Thursday or Friday, anyway. Took me 28 minutes, but only because my grip is weak on pull-ups, so I had to do them in sets of 3, 2, and eventually 1 at a time. :P In retrospect, that was just counterproductive, as far as improving my grip strength. I should have used a band so I could get 10 in a row or something like that, but I jumped in with the group start last minute, and didn't have time to fiddle with figuring which band to use.

I did ask my trainer afterward, what I should do about some of the wods killing my legs for the runs/ultra training, and he said I should definitely feel free to make substitutions as needed, so I can do what I need to do for the ultra training. He said he understands that I need to make that a priority/specialize right now, and he's glad to help me come up with alternatives to the assigned wods if I need help with it in the future. :)

Today they are doing heavy thrusters, and I figure I should not do the heavy squatting bit if I want a good long run later this week, so I'm going to sub OH Press/Push Press/Jerk, then get in a little hill training. That seems a good trade for me, and it's been a while since I did heavy strict presses. Maybe I can get a new 3RM on that one, if it's a good day!

Tejas
03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Cheryl, it sounds like your trainer did exactly what a good trainer ought to do.

Thanks for the web site suggestions. It's always helpful to have those resources.

Shannon in ATL
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Neurodoc - check out the workout plans on this website, too - stumptuous.com (http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas) - I have used the DB workouts and the 3 day FB (the one with the light/medium/heavy day) pretty often, am actually back on the 'lo-tech a*s busting' DB circuit wokouts again now. I haven't done the splits, but I've looked at them. I also like some of the Women's Health workouts. I also need structure, or I go a little crazy. I've used the Crossfit exercises and built my own workouts before, too.

Cheryl - I didn't think about anemia, but that is a consideration. Do you take an iron supplement? Women run short of it a lot. I agree that heavy squatting is a bad idea before a long run - I did much lighter squat thrusts on Saturday than the ones I imagine that you will be doing and it made my run on Monday difficult. There were other factors too, but it would have made a long run Monday hard even at my best point.

I got back into my strength training on Saturday, after being away from it since March 1st - I kickboxed instead of strength the first week in March because I was at the end of my program and was going to redesign, then got sick for a few days, then did some more kickboxing the end of the second week, then rolled right into taper week for my half with no strength there either. So Saturday was hard - I decided to go back to the 3 day per week DB circuit workout I've been doing, and my inner thighs are sore. I think I'm going to go back to posting my workout here for a little while and see if you guys have any feedback for me. Like neurodoc, I also feel a little off my game right now so any suggestions appreciated. :) I'll separate it from my other chatter with a line for those who want to skip the details.

I'm thinking I'll do another four weeks of this DB circuit, to give me time to plan or hunt down another workout schedule. I like this one, it fits in nicely timewise, and it made my calves really pop by the end of six weeks of it at the end of February. I know I need to mix it up a little again, though. Hm.
__________________________________________________ _______________
My Saturday workout:

WH calisthenics warm up - 10 squat, 10 pushup, 10 window washers, 10 mountain climber, 10 good morning, 5 lunge l&r, 10 'spiderman'

DB circuit a from Routine 2 (All Dumbbells All The Time from stumptuous.com): (http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6)
8 rounds of the following in 20:35
Db swing 10x20lb
Db squat press 4x10x20 lb per for 4 rounds/10x15 lb per for 4 rounds
Horizontal pullup 10 (use my barbell on the squat rack for these)

40 crunches
40 reverse crunches
20 single leg bridge, 10 per side

10.1 miles on the bike

30 minutes of hip opener yoga before bed

Mel
03-30-2011, 06:28 AM
:wave:

I have HUGE bruises on each arm from yesterday's kettle bell snatch fest. Today starts WOD 2 for Crossfit sectionals and I feel broken from yesterday.

Cheryl- When I was doing marathon training, I dropped heavy legs days out of my split completely. That was back in body building type workout days, but the principle is the same. The hard part about combining it with Crossfit is that every day is leg day, back day, chest day, arm day, ab day :rofl: Have you looked at the endurance WODS?

Heading to my work marathon :(

Mel

nelie
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
For various reasons, I've only done CF 2xweek for the past few weeks. Yesterday, we did push presses which I haven't done in a while and I feel it today. I promised someone I'd go tonight and it involves a bunch of burpees :p I had a small accident this morning and fell. My back feels a bit tweaked so we will see.