General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default does anyone here crochet?

I'd really like to learn how to crochet but I don't know anyone who does and don't even know where to begin in finding out a way to learn. Any suggestions?
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #2  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I'm really crafty, but crochet and knitting is one of those things I've never learned either.

Do you have a Michael's nearby? They tend to do a lot of classes, and it might be worth looking to see if that's on their schedule.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/239.2/150

You Tube has lots of crocheting videos if you are adept at watching and learning without hands-on training. The other day I taught myself how to do a granny square...

Google is your friend.

I used You Tube and Knitting(dot)com to teach myself how to knit also.

Ravelry(dot)com has tons of of free patterns for both crocheting and knitting.
Khrungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ??/??/200

Height: 5'8"

I learned to crochet and knit through google searches. It really is not as hard as it looks, promise!!
OoohThatdress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #5  

I learned to crochet on my own, using the internet.

First, you need to learn to hold your yarn properly, or else you'll have problems with gauge (in other words, it'll be harder to control the size of your stitches...not so vital in some projects, but pretty important in others).

The internet has tons of resources. Everyone learns differently, but here are a few pages:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyssmail: This gentleman's videos were a great help to me as I learned. I was mainly stubborn and tried to learn by books/written instructions (...why am I like this?)...but every time I have been stumped, I click over to his videos and usually the fog lifts. Save yourself the frustration, watch!

crochet.about.com:lots of basics

Crafty Daisies: Starts you in on basic squares with simple stitches, and gradually gets more difficult. Some of the links are broken, but still worth looking into.

Ravelry.com is great for patterns, once you've got some basics down.

Good luck! It can be frustrating, but worthwhile. I still consider myself very much a beginner, and yet I've made some decent gifts. Also, I've learned from every flaw in several ways...definitely different for someone like me, who tends to be a perfectionist in creative endeavors.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

i crochet and knit and taught myself both using videos from you tube and a few other sites.

crochet pattern central and knitting pattern central all have great free patterns and list tips and tricks on everything. Good Luck!
CosmicGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

definately go to Ravelry.com. someone will glady help you learn the addiction. I knit socks and it's great. i learned that through Ravelry and a yarn store near by.

If you go to a yarn store, they also will have classes. But you can pick it up in an hour or so, even with a well illustrated crochet magazine and yarn.

people in Michaels and AJ Wright will lead you to the correct yarn and hook.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #8  

holy cow! Thanks for all the responses I will definitely check out the videos. I've had trouble learning by video in the past, so if that doesn't work I do have a Micheal's in town and I'll look for classes! Didn't know so many people would be into it
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

My great grandmother started teaching me many years ago before she passed away. I stopped after that and just recently picked it back up.

As others have said, YouTube videos are great to learn (or relearn). I made the cutest hat for my 4 month old girl I get compliments on daily.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I crochet, but I'm not much help, as I learned as a kid. One thing I love about it is, I'm left handed, yet I crochet right handed. As far as lefties go I'm more neutral in my "handedness" than most, as I use my right hand to crochet, use my mouse, etc. I know lefties that have to move the mouse to the other side of the comp. The only thing that gave me trouble were scissors as a kid.
I've looked up some youtube videos to get new patterns, but I tend to make things like blankets, and I prefer a simple, single/double crochet variation, so I usually wing it.
I was asked by my mother to make a blanket to go in the casket with my grandmother when she passes, and that is what I'm working on now. A little morbid, yes, but I am honored to have been asked and am proud to do it. It's more than half done now.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote