Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default What the nutritionist said....

So, I work in a major university medical center, and as an employee wellness benefit, they were offering free personal 15 minute nutrition sessions-- so I went to one.

It was REALLY interesting.

First, the nutritionist told me that my weight loss stall probably has had everything to do with exercise and nothing to do with my food intake.

She told me to START LIFTING AGAIN. She said that they only way I was going to get my metabolism going was to increase my muscle mass.

She told me DRUM ROLL PLEASE that my body fat percentage is NORMAL for my gender and age.

NORMAL!!!!!! So even though my BMI is increased, I guess I have more lean body mass, and so I fall into the normal range.

And third, she told me to...

Sigh...

Eat more calories, and not go more than 4 hours without eating....

Basically she said that when you're not burning well, not losing on 1200 to 1300 calories, that you have to feed your body little bits of fuel more often so that it doesn't start eating muscle....

I'm not sure I really believe about a net increase in calories, but I am going to add a snack between breakfast and lunch and start lifting again.

I think it's time to do the personal trainer thing again.

She also suggested that I get my thyroid checked.

All in all, helpful, and interesting-- and the most fun thing was her sample lump of fat. I can't believe that I lost 20 of those!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by ubergirl; 12-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

How fabulous, that your body fat is right within range! Woohoo!

Take what is useful, leave what isn't, and keep on the right track. You're amazing, lady
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #3  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Sounds like very sound advice, and Im glad it provided you with some positive feedback as well as tactical suggestions on how to improve your current plan!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

What a great employment benefit!! I'm glad you got helpful advice and positive praise!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm so glad you posted this! And I'm thunking my forehead wondering why I never though to ask if you were lifting! I coulda told you that! Yes, get lifting! I hadn't even connected that you only talk about running. I think when you talk about the "gym" I picture my own workouts and picture you right there with me. LOL! Yes, lift! I bet that will help in more ways than one. But be prepared for scale wonkiness...more than you've experienced already.

I like the information about why my body works best when I feed it frequently. I knew it worked but didn't really know why.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #6  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations and what a fabulous employee benefit!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I lift weights every other day, the change has been amazing, both in looks and my ability to do things in "real life". How lucky you could speak to a nutritionist for free, that's a great benefit! Thanks for sharing what you learned.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've become skeptical of free consultations from healthcare professionals when offered as an employee benefit, because of my own Health Fair experience, but it sounds as though you had a very serious, very professional one-on-one session with someone who really knows her field.

Isn't that great to check in with someone like that, and have your efforts & theories corrected or validated?

And if it results in a change-up, isn't that good, to keep you from souring on your routine, and also to let you attack the problem from a new angle?

And also, please, my inner eight-year-old boy who's into gross stuff really wants you describe that lump of fat thingy, which I really hope was made of lifelike plastic, rather than an actual lump of fat floating in a jar of formaldehyde. I'm picturing something that looks like those plastic sushi displays in Japanese restaurants.

Last edited by saef; 12-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I hadn't even connected that you only talk about running. I think when you talk about the "gym" I picture my own workouts and picture you right there with me.
Well you probably were remembering my old gym routine, which did include quite a bit of lifting, as well as several months working out with a personal trainer. I stopped frequent lifting in July-- just about the exact same time that I started to plateau.

I have access to a gym with a limited amount of equipment but I seem to need more coaching to stick with a lifting program than to stick with a cardio program. I think I'm going to hook up with a personal trainer for a while again.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I've become skeptical of free consultations from healthcare professionals when offered as an employee benefit, because of my own Health Fair experience, but it sounds as though you had a very serious, very professional one-on-one session with someone who really knows her field.

Isn't that great to check in with someone like that, and have your efforts & theories corrected or validated?

And if it results in a change-up, isn't that good, to keep you from souring on your routine, and also to let you attack the problem from a new angle?

And also, please, my inner eight-year-old boy who's into gross stuff really wants you describe that lump of fat thingy, which I really hope was made of lifelike plastic, rather than an actual lump of fat floating in a jar of formaldehyde. I'm picturing something that looks like those plastic sushi displays in Japanese restaurants.
SAEF I wasn't sure what I was going to get, but I figured since I work in an academic medical center I would probably get someone who was pretty expert in the field, and I wasn't disappointed.... and she peppered me with a lot of questions too.

Now-- on the the LUMP OF FAT.

It was a yellow rubbery lump of simulated adipose tissue. It was really BIG. We think about five pounds as being not much, but when I saw what five pounds of fat looked like I was extremely surprised. I'm dying to lose more weight off my belly and I can tell you that now I realize I don't have more than ten pounds of fat on my belly-- maybe even less. I thought five pounds would be the size of a can of chicken noodle soup but it was more like the size of a loaf of bread.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

Height: 5'5

What she said about muscle and lifting weights is very accurate. It's also one of the reasons why men tend to lose faster than women, they simply have more muscle mass than we do.

That's awesome you're in the normal range for body fat percentage. Woo hoo! And I have heard about not going for more than 4 hours without eating, and upping calorie intake slightly will help with a plateau. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to use that yet since i haven't lost weight in order to plateau. Anyways. woo hoo!
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote