General chatter - Facebook...how old?

View Full Version : Facebook...how old?

Eliana
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
How old would you want your child to be before allowing a FB account?

My ten year old wants one. :dizzy: No matter your answers, my answer is "no". LOL! But I want to know what your opinions are. I don't want my kids to be weird, just protected. My 9 and 10 year olds do not have cell phones either.

FB scares me. My husband and I have accounts. I've seen the stupid things ADULTS accidentally say! To me, FB is just another method for teasing classmates in a very public manner.

mandalinn82
12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, if you need a scapegoat, Facebook rules prohibit anyone under 13 from joining, anyway. Lots of younger kids are allowed, but technically, their accounts can be deleted if they are younger than 13.

midwife
12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
10? No way.

My 15 yo son has one and he has 3 friends and never signs in.
My 18 yo daughter has one but I know her password and snoop often. She is okay with this, btw. It gives me an inside look at her life in college.

ddc
12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hmmm. I personally don't think they should ever be on it at any age - lol!!
I have told my 11 yr old daughter no. I'm hoping she won't ask me anymore.

I have a friend who's 14 yr old daughter got in trouble with the cheerleading coach for something that she wrote on someone else's facebook page.
I don't think they really realize that it's not just their friends reading it, it's the whole world wide web!!

Eliana
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think they really realize that it's not just their friends reading it, it's the whole world wide web!!

The most mature of children aren't ready for that kind of responsibility, ya know? I don't think 20 year olds are ready! The brain just isn't done developing yet.

I enjoy my time on FB, I do. But I have seen a lot of stupidity and I have done a lot of tongue biting. Children/teenagers/young adults have not yet perfected that edit feature in their brains. ;) I don't know...print is scary. It really can't be taken back.

GradPhase
12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Ten? No way.

But that said, I do wish my 12 year old BIL had one!! I think his parents should be the only ones to know the password, so he can't log on without them at his side - but it would be so much fun! However, I do have a brain that's still developing, and so evidently my judgment and ability to monitor myself are certainly, obviously, lacking.

tattoodles
12-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd say not til high school and then only with surpervision. There are so many things they don't need to be exposed to and one thing kids don't need is another excuse to spend hours sitting in front of a computer.

pipernoswiper
12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
i let my daughter get one when she was 13, but i know the password, and check it everyday.
believe me, they hear, do, and see way more in school than what they will ever see on facebook, and any trouble they can get into on facebook, they can certainly get into other places as well.
either we teach our kids right from wrong, or we don't, facebook isn't going to change a good upbringing ;)

couponmom85
12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
most kids only want Facebook cause of the games.
my 3 year old likes helping me play farmville lol.
(they can go to to www.farmville.com, i think you can play without a fb acct.)

otherwise, most people i know use Facebook to keep up with family.
at least i do lol.

pipernoswiper
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
also worth mentioning.....i know tons about her friends because of facebook, the good and the bad :O

beerab
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Under 13 no, over 13 is even questionable!

There is no need for a kid to be talking to people online IMO. Friends they see at school and family they can call or email- but even then it'd be monitored usage. Too many nuts and freaks and pedophiles out there who can easily manipulate an innocent kid to give them their location. "oh I go to such and such school, I take tap dance here, etc..."

Take last week- I reminded my sister that those programs like four square and those "check ins" at places at facebook are dangerous because people use them to STALK you. I don't like those things- the online world does NOT need to know where I am at every moment. My sister is 21 also- so anyone can be caught unawares. I read somewhere to not even say you are going on vacation on fb cuz theives use it to rob you!

lazylioness
12-09-2010, 06:37 PM
My 12 year old, 16 year old and 19 year old all have them. My son (12) was allowed to get his at the youngest age and I have banned all but the 19 year old to have MySpace (NO WAY WILL THEY HAVE MYSPACE) anyway, my kids have SO much family on their friends, that they get called out if ANYTHING looks weird. Even if there is a new friend that grandma has not seen before, she is all over it.

We let them have it as a way to keep in easy contact with family and friends across the country. My ex husband lives in Vegas with his wife and son, and they all have accounts, as do the MANY friends that the kids have from summers there. Grandparents in Texas and friends who have moved away.

That being said. I have COMPLETE access to their accounts, and I can snoop any time I want. (and often do)

I think that 10 is probably too young, but if you were to decide to go with it, than there are ways to make it safer.

But yes, FB policy is 13

lauralyn
12-09-2010, 07:01 PM
All of my kids have FB. Of course my 19 year old has it and has for a couple of years. My 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son have FB also. My daughter has me and a lot of our family members as friends and we all see what she posts. I also have many of her friends and their parents on my list. She is a good kid and I trust her. My son got his account so that he could play a couple of games on it and I don't think he has even logged on in a couple of months. He maybe has logged on 10 times in the past 6 months that he has had it to play the games and send his aunts a quick PM to thank them for his cards.

I have his password and can and do keep an eye on his account more to see what his friends are up to.

krampus
12-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Ideally I think the responsibility of Facebook and a cell phone are sort of related. You can send dumb text messages in the same way you can write dumb wall posts. Which will inevitably happen, as teenagers are dumb by nature ;)

kaplods
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
My 9-year old nephew (10 in March) has a cellphone, but he doesn't have his own facebook page. His mom does have a page for the whole family (and photos and information is hidden unless you're an invited friend), so he's allowed to play some of the facebook games (while Mom or another adult is in the room).

His cell phone does not have texting capabilities and he can only use it for specific circumstances and specifically (grand)parent-authorized calls.

We have a couple friends and relatives who got upset when hubby wouldn't accept their children as "friends" (the youngest was 8), which makes me think they never saw my husband's facebook page.

It's not raunchy or dirty, but not all of his friends speak PG on facebook. His rpg crowd play some pretty horrific games and discuss the games (lots of bloodshed and anti-social activities being discussed) and some of his friends still think it's funny to send pics of intoxicated friends.

shelle58704
12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I tell my daughters (5 and 4) they are not allowed to wear makeup until they are as tall as me. Same goes for FB and cell phones. I'm 5'6", my husband is 6'3" so they may reach my height before I am truly ready! lol

Glory87
12-09-2010, 08:36 PM
16 with the understanding that any time I can look over their shoulder.

krampus
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
It blows my mind that everyone and their grandma has a Facebook page now. When I signed up in 2004 it was exclusively for students with authorized .edu email accounts at select universities, and my how it has grown. It's a good thing and a bad thing!

GradPhase
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
It blows my mind that everyone and their grandma has a Facebook page now. When I signed up in 2004 it was exclusively for students with authorized .edu email accounts at select universities, and my how it has grown. It's a good thing and a bad thing!

Agreed. As much as I enjoy my family members being on facebook - I really wish it was still university exclusive. It's become another myspace - filled with advertisements, spam, and ridiculousness.

drake3272004
12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
My kids don't know their passwords, they can't get logged on unless I do it for them. They can't add friends without preapproval and that includes chat. I have a 12 and 14 yr old.
They don't seem very interested anyway, it's more for family connection than anything because they don't go on enough to play the games. We have a large extended family, scattered all over.

Martina
12-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't have children nor do I ever plan on having any so I don't have an answer for you. But my sister's two oldest daughters both have FB accounts (they are just barely teenagers). I don't agree with kids of that age having a FB though. But I have not friended either of my nieces because I know some of the stuff I talk about my sister would not feel is appropriate. So out of respect for my sister I don't friend them, or any kids under the age of 17.

kaplods
12-10-2010, 12:46 AM
An aspect of Facebook, that I don't think most kids are mature enough to handle (heck, I'm not sure I'm mature enough to handle) is the ettiquette and social obligation issues.

I have a facebook page, but I almost never go there (so I rarely go to friends' facebook pages either. I have a cell phone, but I almost never have it on. I have email, but I only check it about twice a week (if I remember).

It seems that many people (people you'd never have expected it from) get quite offended if you're not available to them 24/7. I look at the crap people post on my wall, and I think "am I supposed to respond to all of this?" It's like spam, only from family members (which I get enough of in my email).

It makes me want to be entirely anti-social, because there's no way to keep up with the endless stream of crap (I really didn't need to know you picked up bread from the grocery store last Tuesday, and not only do I not care that you got smashed last Saturday night and hooked up with some guy whose name you can't remember, I REALLY do not want to see the pictures).

And people sending "gifts" from games I've never played and have no intention of ever playing (with messages that make it sound like I'm a big meanie if I don't go into the stupid game to accept the gift - because they get stupid prizes for dragging me into the game, which I don't have time for - so if I don't play along I'm a big, party-pooping crabbypants).

Eliana
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I tell my daughters (5 and 4) they are not allowed to wear makeup until they are as tall as me. Same goes for FB and cell phones. I'm 5'6", my husband is 6'3" so they may reach my height before I am truly ready! lol

My children are huge! LOL! My nine year old is going to be taller than me in just a few years. ;) LOL!

HartLover23
12-12-2010, 02:36 AM
if Facebook is still around by the time I have kids and by the time they are teenagers, they will not be having a Facebook until they are 18. My fiance and I firmly believe in no personal computers before 18 (or at least with internet, I had a personal computer in my room but I didn't have internet), and no cell phones before they have a driver's license. We're pretty old-fashioned, but my parents like that (although I was a member of bolt.com when I was in high school, one of the first social networking sites, and I wish I still had it before it got deleted and then re-vamped). But bolt wasn't like Facebook, it was more anonymous. You had a username instead of your real name.

Of course, I joined Facebook when it was still thefacebook and when it was solely for college students with a college email account (this was back in early 2005).

Anyways, me and my fiance have decided to be a one-computer, two-TV household (one in the family room, one in our room), like how it was for us when we were kids. We both feel that kids are really jaded now because of technology and it's just too easy for them now to be lazy and spend all of their time on the internet than playing outside. Even when my brother had a nintendo and would play it, he'd play it for maybe 30 min-1 hour a day, but now, kids play it for HOURS and HOURS.

So we're going to be strict like that, and just encourage our kids to be kids, and tell them to worry about that stuff when they're adults. They don't need that stuff when they're kids.

Arctic Mama
12-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Likely, there will be no Facebook until they are legally adults, in this house. It's just unnecessary, and can lead to easily avoidable trouble for you our children. We're fans of a family computer, anyway. Our kids cannot have their own computer until they are old enough to assemble one and compile their own kernel, which won't likely be until they are in middle school or high school. Even then, their online activities will be necessarily limited until we think they are mature enough.

Having a Sysadmin for a dad is nice and intimidating when it comes to inappropriate online activities, anyway. They will know ahead of time that we WILL catch inappropriate content, which we're hoping will be a decent deterrent for teen curiosity.

Nola Celeste
12-12-2010, 04:19 AM
An aspect of Facebook, that I don't think most kids are mature enough to handle (heck, I'm not sure I'm mature enough to handle) is the ettiquette and social obligation issues.

I have a facebook page, but I almost never go there (so I rarely go to friends' facebook pages either. I have a cell phone, but I almost never have it on. I have email, but I only check it about twice a week (if I remember).

It seems that many people (people you'd never have expected it from) get quite offended if you're not available to them 24/7. I look at the crap people post on my wall, and I think "am I supposed to respond to all of this?" It's like spam, only from family members (which I get enough of in my email).

It makes me want to be entirely anti-social, because there's no way to keep up with the endless stream of crap (I really didn't need to know you picked up bread from the grocery store last Tuesday, and not only do I not care that you got smashed last Saturday night and hooked up with some guy whose name you can't remember, I REALLY do not want to see the pictures).

And people sending "gifts" from games I've never played and have no intention of ever playing (with messages that make it sound like I'm a big meanie if I don't go into the stupid game to accept the gift - because they get stupid prizes for dragging me into the game, which I don't have time for - so if I don't play along I'm a big, party-pooping crabbypants).

^^^THIS!

When I go to the grocery store, I don't walk through the aisles shouting, "I am buying oranges now!" and "Mm, the blueberry yogurt is my favorite!" because I would get thrown in the hoosegow for disturbing others' shopping experience. But typing it on Facebook as though the cousin of the sister of the boyfriend of my World of Warcraft guild leader's second cousin cares that I'm buying oranges is somehow a new social requirement!?

Oy. It is just nutty.

I...I don't really have a conclusion to this post. Just imagine me wandering off muttering about "kids today" and "get off my lawn" and such. :D

cincimini
12-12-2010, 05:03 AM
I definitely think 10 is too young. But more than a specific age, I think it's other factors that should play into the decision:
- Do your children understand the implications of mean, rude, crude or biased things being said on the internet by them or about them? Do they understand (really understand!) what this could do to other people or to themselves or their chance of getting into college or into a job?
- Do they understand that certain things should not be shared on the internet with anyone b/c there are people out there that have bad intentions? Do you talk to them about sexual predators on the web or about giving out personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, etc.?
- Do YOU understand (and can you properly explain to your children) the privacy settings on FB and how you can use them to keep strangers from reading your stuff? FB allows you to pretty much control who can see what information, but you have to spend time learning about it and changing the settings.
- Are you willing to check up on them and their online activities? Are you willing to make time to go online and see what they are doing? Do you have other people (grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc.) who can keep an eye on their FB page?

No matter what age the kids are, parents should take care to explain to their kids what good and bad can come of the internet. They need to know that not everyone is their friend. They need to realize that you shouldn't just accept every friend request. They need to understand that kids are cruel to each other and that online bullying is a real problem.
But most importantly, you as the parent need to make rules for your kids (and yourself) about using FB in a safe way.
- Don't let them sign up for anything you don't fully understand.
- Sit down with them when they create their profile and explain what each thing means.
- Make them give you their password (and check frequently if they haven't changed it ;))
- Check up on them!
- Be willing to get tough when they don't follow your rules. You can have their account deleted or their computer taken away if you need to. FB is not a right, it's a privilege!

I love FB b/c I have friends on 5 continents that I can keep in touch with, but I personally don't see any reason why kids, who see their friends at school all day long, need to communicate online with them in the evenings. That being said, I do know there is a lot of pressure on kids to have FB (or MSN or IM or whatever) just to be part of the group. A lot of parties and events are being planned that way now and if kids don't have FB, they often don't even get the invitations. So...it's a tough call to completely shut them out from that. However, I think if they know what they are getting into, most kids can be pretty responsible with FB. At 10 years - there's really no reason to. It's not like they can arrange meeting at the mall without getting the parents involved anyway! :D

PS: So sorry this post turned into an article :lol:

Eliana
12-12-2010, 09:10 AM
if Facebook is still around by the time I have kids and by the time they are teenagers, they will not be having a Facebook until they are 18. My fiance and I firmly believe in no personal computers before 18 (or at least with internet, I had a personal computer in my room but I didn't have internet), and no cell phones before they have a driver's license. We're pretty old-fashioned, but my parents like that (although I was a member of bolt.com when I was in high school, one of the first social networking sites, and I wish I still had it before it got deleted and then re-vamped). But bolt wasn't like Facebook, it was more anonymous. You had a username instead of your real name.

Of course, I joined Facebook when it was still thefacebook and when it was solely for college students with a college email account (this was back in early 2005).

Anyways, me and my fiance have decided to be a one-computer, two-TV household (one in the family room, one in our room), like how it was for us when we were kids. We both feel that kids are really jaded now because of technology and it's just too easy for them now to be lazy and spend all of their time on the internet than playing outside. Even when my brother had a nintendo and would play it, he'd play it for maybe 30 min-1 hour a day, but now, kids play it for HOURS and HOURS.

So we're going to be strict like that, and just encourage our kids to be kids, and tell them to worry about that stuff when they're adults. They don't need that stuff when they're kids.

What a breath of fresh air. :D You sound like me. I can tell you it may be a little idealistic, but stick to it if you can!

We are a 2 TV household and have no TV's in bedrooms nor will we. I do not expect our children to have cell phones until they NEED one. I don't see any need until they're driving. We didn't allow video games for a long time. We finally caved on that one. Our oldest is a typical kid, addicted to them. Our youngest has no interest at all and is almost anti-video/computer. We have a family computer and that is it. It's enough. Our ten year old (yes TEN year old) refurbished one of our old broken computers, so we let him put it in his room, but he doesn't have internet on it. He never gets on it.

I myself only have a cell phone for emergencies. It's pay as you go and I have 1000 minutes on it because I never use it! I put the minimum $15 on it every three months. LOL! I do not carry it on me. It pretty much stays in my car, annoying family and friends. I don't feel the need to be available at everyone's beck and call.

I'm definitely old-fashioned, but we walk a fine line between protecting our kids and making them weird. I try to balance the two.

midwife
12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Wow, I can't believe I forgot!

Another potential problem with FB happened to my son. Some kid made up a FB page in my son's name and started "friending" people on my son's behalf. It was not my son's page, but before we knew it, there were dozens of "friends." My daughter and one of my friends played along like they assumed it was really my son's page and they got the originating email address that I was about to pass onto my BIL (who is a detective who works with cybercrime!) when my son and one of his friends figured out who did it, got the password and shut it down. But during that time, my son was really vulnerable. There were a lot of people in the community who just blindly assumed it was his page (the prankster used a picture of my son and they run in sort of the same circle). That kid could have posted bizarre garbage and people might have thought it was from my kid.

The only reason we even knew about this false page was due to our own FB-ability, so as these tweens grow, consider that someone might make a fake page "on their behalf."

pipernoswiper
12-12-2010, 10:24 AM
lmao, sigh............i also said my child, who is now 14, wouldnt have a cell phone until absolutely necessary.... YEAH, since 7th grade her schedule is insane, i don't know if i'm coming or going taking her to and from school activities. 4 sports she does now. AND her social activity is just as ridiculous. her cell phone died, and she went for 4 weeks without one, just so i could prove a point to her that she isnt ENTITLED to a cell phone. i think it was harder on me than her. for instance, instead of her calling me and saying she was done at practice, and come pick her up, i would go and wait for 45 minutes because practice went over!
also worth mentioning, when i was in school, we didnt NEED the internet. books were all we needed for reference material. NOW, unless you are planning on spending hours at the library to use their internet your going to want to have internet by the 5th grade, my daughter's school started them doing research papers in the 5th grade and they usually require two website references.
just something for everyone to think about because living life internet and cell phone free, is easier said than done :)

almost forgot, she is a freshman now......things are just getting more crazy by the day. but it is peace of mind knowing that she is just a phone call away.

FrouFrou
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
If I had younger children they wouldn't be allowed until about 15 maybe...I was a strict mother, what can I say. I have an eleven year old grandson who wanted to add me and I wouldn't. I know DIL was a little angry over it but I don't think FB is a place for an 11 year old. I don't want him reading stuff that I say or others may say...it's adult conversations for the most part. And now he wants a cell phone, ugh! Not sure he will get it, not sure why he needs one but he thinks he does. Son said no but the mother, ugh...sometimes lets them (3 children) do what they want and have what they want.

HartLover23
12-12-2010, 06:18 PM
lmao, sigh............i also said my child, who is now 14, wouldnt have a cell phone until absolutely necessary.... YEAH, since 7th grade her schedule is insane, i don't know if i'm coming or going taking her to and from school activities. 4 sports she does now. AND her social activity is just as ridiculous. her cell phone died, and she went for 4 weeks without one, just so i could prove a point to her that she isnt ENTITLED to a cell phone. i think it was harder on me than her. for instance, instead of her calling me and saying she was done at practice, and come pick her up, i would go and wait for 45 minutes because practice went over!
also worth mentioning, when i was in school, we didnt NEED the internet. books were all we needed for reference material. NOW, unless you are planning on spending hours at the library to use their internet your going to want to have internet by the 5th grade, my daughter's school started them doing research papers in the 5th grade and they usually require two website references.
just something for everyone to think about because living life internet and cell phone free, is easier said than done :)

almost forgot, she is a freshman now......things are just getting more crazy by the day. but it is peace of mind knowing that she is just a phone call away.

But the thing is, if my kid had a hectic schedule like that, I'd get them that cell phone with two or three numbers programmed in, mine, home, and 911. It's just this whole "sexting" has me really freaked out (even though I don't have kids yet) and I can't imagine if something like that happened to me. There is a good reason for a cell phone, but there is no good reason to let a kid have a phone with texting, video, and a camera. Just like there's no good reason to give a kid a computer with internet in their room. I managed to do research papers on our family computer in the family room (or on my dad's computer in his office).

I just think that kids are so much more vulnerable now than they were 15 years ago.

HartLover23
12-12-2010, 06:21 PM
What a breath of fresh air. :D You sound like me. I can tell you it may be a little idealistic, but stick to it if you can!.

Oh I'm totally idealistic. My mom just tells me "Good luck" since I want five kids. LOL I'm crazy, huh?

pipernoswiper
12-12-2010, 06:57 PM
outside influences are always going to be a threat.......unless you are planning on homeschooling, i send my daughter to a private school, doesnt matter i cannot believe what goes on in school, so i'm going to say it again

either we teach our kids right from wrong, or we don't, facebook or cell phones, or internet, isn't going to change a good upbringing and open communication with our kids.

quite a few of my daughter's friends have parents with the same mindset as i am seeing here, there kids arent as innocent as they would like to think.....they (the parents) just don't know what is going on.

i guess to each their own, but you won't really know how you will handle the technology until you actually have kids, you might find it is not so cut and dry and black and white as you may think.......

Ciao
12-12-2010, 08:03 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
Since I'm 16, I can probably shed some light
on some of the things kids my age post.

Recently our school district has had a problem.
Some high schoolers made an inappropriate
page, something like a "Burn Book". They were
posting everyones' deepest secrets, rumors,
etc. The school district had to contact facebook
and have them remove the page.

Things like that are very inappropriate.

I'm not going to lie, I once was very irresponsible.
(I know, shocking, right?) I would curse like a trucker,
post my feelings, etc. I was an embarrassment to
my mother and I never saw it.

I eventually came to terms that I needed to make
a change. I no longer curse (both on and off the
internet) and I don't post personal matters.

I enjoy facebook a lot more now that I am responsible
and clean. I love talking to my family who are miles
away and I love reconnecting with old friends when
I moved. I do not, however, like it when my 12 year
old friend is talking about lust, drinking alcohol, etc.

But who am I to talk? I'd be the biggest hypocrite, for
I once did all those things (not at 12, but you get
the point.) Facebook can be both good and bad. Now
that it is the "in" social network, there's going to be
more spam now and it'll eventually become the new Myspace.
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg

Kitsey
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Oh Facebook, how I love thee <3 Then again, I'm 27 :* I'm one of those crazy Mafia Wars people that adds strangers by the dozen because it's needed for the game. Happy to say that after 1.5 years I've never had any issues. I did have a devastating experience once on a site called Neopets, had a 'friend' that I was terribly close too for nearly 3 years, come to find out everything they ever told me was a lie. And we spent *hours* each day talking. If I had children I don't think I'd want them to use the internet without supervision-ever. I was an adult when this happened but it took me almost 2 years to get over.

As for cell phones, I've never had one. Amazingly-I've survived-lol I don't believe anyone needs one until they start to drive. I suppose I might want one someday, but I LOATH the idea that people will think they can get a hold of me 24/7. :P

shcirerf
12-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Ahh, Facebook, cellphones, texting, email, etc. a double edged sword, a love hate relationship.

Personally, I love all of the above! I love technology. I have several internet businesses.

But, when it comes to the kids, well that's another story. Facebook, texting and email, and the internet in general can be very dangerous territory for the young and unsupervised.

What it really boils down to is, parents should be parents. My children are grown, married, one has a new baby and the other will have a baby in Feb.

The one thing they told me, after they had grown up, was, they hated it when I said, "I'm the Mom that's the only reason I need", but they also said that they were thankful that I said that and now they understood.

On another note, my oldest son is a State Patrolman, DOT officer and SWAT sniper. Those guys LOVE Facebook. They catch more dumbs**ts than you can shake a stick at due to Facebook.

HartLover23
12-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Argh, I had this long post and 3FC logged me out.

The gist of it was that I don't think it's a good idea to completely shield kids from everything, but technology can be dangerous for them now. i heard about kids being arrested for possession of child pornography because of an illicit cell phone picture (one girl was arrested for having a nude photo of herself). Kids don't realize how their internet usage and cell phone usage can haunt them in the future. I think cell phones for teenagers is fine, as long as they don't have texting, a camera, photos, and video. There is simply no reason for those things until they're 18. And same with Facebook, I'm not really worried about what my kids would do on FB, I'm worried about what other people do on FB. I recently made a comment on one of my friend's status updates, and one of his friends whom I don't know disagreed, and started cussing me out. I really believe kids can be responsible on the internet, but it's what others do that I worry about.

SpaceCoconaut
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
13 years old. And that's if they only add classmates and people they know in person. Plus, I'd make them put their profile on the highest level of privacy so that random people just can't come by and snoop.

They can add whoever they want after 18 though. I wouldn't care.

lauralyn
12-14-2010, 05:31 AM
13 years old. And that's if they only add classmates and people they know in person. Plus, I'd make them put their profile on the highest level of privacy so that random people just can't come by and snoop.

They can add whoever they want after 18 though. I wouldn't care.

My oldest is going to be 20 tomorrow and I still care about who she adds....a parent never stops caring.