South Beach Diet - Thursday Chit Chat

View Full Version : Thursday Chit Chat

BelovedK
10-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Good morning all :wave

Since no one started the thread yet, I thought I would :)

What's everyone up to today? I'm off to work doing people's hair.

I got a lot of sleep last night but was woken in the middle of the night with charley horse type cramps in my feet. I am feeling much better from the accident except for hurting my right shoulder where it was already hurt (it made it worse)

I hope everyone has a nice day :)

cottagebythesea
10-21-2010, 06:38 AM
:coffee: Happy Thursday!

I'm happy because today is my Friday and then I have a 4-day weekend ahead of me. :p I don't have to go in until around noon today, so I'm planning to clean the house and get the laundry done this morning to free up the weekend. On Saturday I'm meeting another Mod, Jiffypop, in the city for lunch. My daughter is joining us afterwards, and I'm bringing Carley back home with me until Tuesday.

I've been doing well staying OP since my fall off the wagon on Monday, and I have my willpower and motivation back. I was really struggling there for a while! Coming here and reading all your posts really does give me the incentive to stay on track. :)

Good morning, Beloved! It looks like we were starting today's thread at the same time. No problem, I just merged the posts. Have a great day, and I sure hope your shoulder pain eases up. Didn't the massage help?

Ruthxxx
10-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for cranking us up Beloved, and sorry your good sleep was interrupted. I had a good sleep again and didn't get awakened by the dog alarm until 6:30.

My darn PC is acting up! :( It starts but tells me there is a hard disc error. I may have to take it to my guru Karen for some of her magic so don't worry if I disappear.

It's drizzling out there this morning. Donna is coming to clean and will love the muddy pawprints in the back room. I swear the Doggage develop extra paws when it's mud season! I also have a guy coming to install a programmable thermostat for the furnace and a carpenter coming to collect a cheque for work he did at the Mill. That should take up a good hunk of the morning.

This afternoon I am going to schedule an hour to do some machine quilting and I don't have a meeting tonight! I just may start the first fire in the woodstove and snuggle with my book on a cold and rainy night! No **** yet but it's coming. It's close to freezing point out there right now and raining so ...

May you have a warm and cozy day with no frassing ****.

Ruthxxx
10-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Cottage! Good morning. I am so glad today is your Friday and you have good weekend plans. I am envious of your lunch with Jiffy and wish I could be there. Am I right in thinking you two have not yet met? Enjoy! I'll be thinking of you and wishing I could be a fly on the wall.

cottagebythesea
10-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Morning, Ruthie! Why not just throw caution to the wind and join Jiffy and I for lunch? ;) We've "talked" a lot, but this will be the first time we meet up IRL. I'm looking forward to it!

Natasha1534
10-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Good morning, everybody. Just popping in to say hello before hitting the hay. I saw in yesterdays thread someone finally asked what "niggles" means. I have to admit, I had just gotten done googling it. LOL It sounds kinda dirty...not nearly as intriguing when you see the TRUE definition. :(

Anyway, apparently there was a miscommunication between me and my yard sale partner and we are supposed to be doing a yard sale on Friday AND Saturday instead of just Saturday. EEK!!! I have SO much to do on Friday (the least of which includes picking up my paycheck from the fair and getting my bike out of layaway) not to mention we don't get off work until 0530 hrs, so by the time we finish our yard sale on Friday we'll have been up for about 24 hours. YUCK!!! Oh well...money money money, right???

Anywho, better hit the hay since I won't be getting any sleep tomorrow. G'night, ladies.

Ruthxxx
10-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Wish I could, Cottage, but the Mastercard is still reeling in shock after such a roadrunner fall.

WaistingTime
10-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Good morning.

I am unexpectedly sitting here confounded again by the technology behind my blog. Sigh. I won't bore you with the gory details but it is quite frustrating and I may lose a months worth of posts and comments. Oh well, it could be worse. I should know more in the next hour or so. Fingers crossed.

But for the good news - I ate well at my book club last night:) I had cheese, cashews and caprese salad (which was yummy). None of the various candy options and none of the hot cherry cobbler a la mode. Oh, I forgot about the Triscuits, counted out carefully, that I ate at 9:00 when everyone else had just eaten cobbler and I was actually feeling physical hunger. Now if I could just handle social eating like this every time!

Bike ride today. Grocery shopping. Blog stuff. Eating well:) That's about it for me.

Have a great day everyone.

xx the lily xx
10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey, everyone! Everyone seems to be doing well, which is great! I'm feeling sick today, which is annoying, so I'm going to have to head to the Care Station after work so I can get back on my feet by Tuesday...I have a big interview then! :)

Anyone have any exciting plans or anything coming up?

Lexxiss
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

BelovedK, thanks for getting us started this morning. Sorry I didn't get to drop by before I left for the airport. I hope you have a great OP day!

Linda, yay for your Friday...weekend sure sounds fun!

Ruth, darn about the PC. I thought you had a new one. Projects abound in your neck of the woods. Happy quilting!

Natasha, oops! get busy time! After some rest, of course.

Karen, yay for a success at the book club. Have fun biking!

lily, sorry you're not feeling well. Get better soon! K?

Well, DH is sitting staring at me waiting for me to make pancakes. Guess I'd better run. It was a beautiful morning for the airport in Denver. I had to leave here at 530. Now I have the day for my projects!

CyndiM
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Good morning from the conference :wave: It's interesting being in the vendor room. The day has a strange flow. I am, however, seeing some great gifts for my nieces ;)

Oops, break time for attendees so time for me to work.

Later-

TallandThin
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Greetings from the west coast! You all sound so wide awake and ready to face an on plan day! Just what I need to help me stay on track today.

Beloved, I am still experiencing the leg cramps at night too but not too bad as I'm really trying to keep my liquid intake up. It does help.

Cottage, Oh how I remember looking forward to those weekends when I was working. Now that I'm retired, all of my days are my own to do with as I choose and right now I choose to eat one plan and healthy.

Ruth, sorry about your pc problems. That can be so darn frustrating but luckily you have someone to help. I plan on a little yard work this morning with my faithful Frenchie dog (laying on the deck taking a sunbath) as they are saying rain is headed our way this weekend. We have the old wood stove all ready to go too.

Nat, OMG, you had better get it in gear! Yard sales can be so much work ahead of time but hopefully your payoff will be worth it. Good luck!

Waist..., Congrats on your willpower. So proud of you and don't we all wish we could be that strong every time.

Lily, Sorry you aren't feeling well and hope you get better and ace the interview on Tuesday.

Well everyone, have a great op day and I'll catch you later.

BellaLucia
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi all! I'm doing well. I'm eager for the New Year as I'll be making my way back to school! I plan on getting a certificate in Early Childhood specializing in Special Ed.

chubbybunny29
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Morning everyone!

So I had outback last night and did well, no cheating :) Ate what I planned to eat, and didn't sneak anything. And was down 0.4lbs this morning. Its really nice when that happens.

Tonight is a bit of a challenge, I'm heading to get Mexican food and then go see a movie with my Meetup group...Mexican gets tricky sometimes, so I'm pulling up the menu now so I can know what I'm ordering when I get there. Looks like I'll be eating some burrito innards since everything is "wrapped in a flour tortilla".

Other than that, its just busy busy busy at work and some vacation prep!

jandaman
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
evenin' ladies! spent the day stocking up SB-friendly ingredients (discovered soy-spaghetti, how awesome is that????) and am just about to get started "schnippeling" veggies& all to stockpile soups, stews&casseroles for the next few days cuz i'll be too busy to cook.

hope you all enjoy ur respective thursdays...

spoonflipper
10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi everybody,

Beloved -I'm sorry about the leg cramps (I used to get those all the time), but I'm glad you're feeling better.

Hey, ChubbyBunny -what movie are you going to see?
There's not much I'm interested in right now. Except The Town -I was saving that to see with my dad, but things kept coming up. I really wanted to see Buried but it came and went too fast. Apparently not everyone wants to spend 90 minutes with Ryan Reynolds trapped in a coffin. I have to say, I don't think I'd mind that.
Got up to 20 minutes on the Stairmaster Fat Burner Level 2 last night. That thing is my own personal Balrog. In that it is a flaming demon monster thing in a dwarf cave and I have to defeat it to save the hobbits. Too geeky?

Ruthxxx -Woodstove and quilting ...that sounds so cozy! The other night it was raining here; I had some jazz turned up, I had my coffee and my book and my cat, soooo content.

Anyway, have a good day everybody! About five and half hours left and then I battle the Balrog again. "Fly, you fools!"

TallandThin
10-21-2010, 01:42 PM
What about a chicken fajita without the tortilla and with extra lettuce. Believe that might be closer to on plan.

chubbybunny29
10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Spoonflipper - We're going to see RED. I have no idea what its about. We moved this year and then my husband got laid off (the exact day we got possession of our first house!) so we decided TV was a luxury we could do without. So no movie previews! Also, I too would be fine being trapped anywhere with Ryan Reynolds. Yum. Oh, and yes, Tolkein geek that I am, yes the Balrog was the flaming demon thing that Gandalf fights. hehehe I'm refraining from further dorkiness and not saying more ;)

LaMay - that's probably a better idea! Even the dining out guide said its a tough place (La Salsa) to find something OP. I'll figure something out or I'll just get a side order of pinto beans and eat something else when I get home (since goodness knows the movie theatre can't offer any options that are ok!)

Arctic Stamp Queen
10-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Checking in on my lunch here...munching on salad and planning our dinner. Loving the roasted chickpeas as a topper in place of croutons...yummo.

I just found out a co-worker signed me up to make 3 dozen cupcakes for the fall festival at the school we work at. I'm a little freaked because cupcakes are a total weakness for me and I don't want to derail myself. How can I do this without really messing myself up. Or do I just have one and get right back on track. Thoughts ladies? I was thinking I might make a modified angel food cucake with meringue topping.

I am in this for the long haul, but I also know that my mentality is that if I can NEVER have something again, then that is ALL I want. Does that make sense? I am looking for honest thoughts and opinions on this. What do YOU think?

TallandThin
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Arctic, You asked for my honest opinion...........well, I think you are trying to talk yourself into having a cupcake. I know you can do this. Last weekend I had family over for dinner and earlier in the day I made two wonderful smelling apple cakes for them and didn't take a bite, not even a lick. Had them take all of the leftovers home as they left. I was so proud of myself. You just have to set you mind ahead of time and not let those old sick voices talk you into something that you don't want to do. There will be a time later to add in a special treat now and again, but IMHO it is too soon. In the beginning I believe, until we get stronger, one slip just leads to more if you aren't very careful. Hope I didn't step on toes here but you asked.

Ruthxxx
10-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I do a lot of baking for Community Events and do not nibble, although mightily tempted.

First I clean and floss my teeth and then slather my hands with olive oil and put on surgical gloves. No kidding! It really works as I am really turned off by the thought of licking rubber.

As soon as the baking is done, it goes into the freezer and I steel myself against sampling even a crumb.

IMHO one sample of the baking is the thin edge of the wedge and I could end up binging!

It does get easier.

cottagebythesea
10-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I usually pop a stick of gum in my mouth while I'm baking. It works for me!
I DO like Ruth's suggestion, though.

My 4 hour day ended up being just over 6 hours. :dizzy: At least I had the forsight to make a quinoa casserole in the crockpot before I left so I had a nice, hot supper all ready for me. I did discover that I don't care much for quinoa cooked in the crockpot, though. It gets too mushy.
It's supposed to get down into the 30s tonight, and we may get our first frost. It's a good thing we got everything out of the garden, and the Swiss chard should be OK.

Heidi58
10-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Hello ladies!

I was sure I posted this morning, but it's not here now.... I wonder if I was hallucinating or if I did my famous "preview when I really meant post" trick? :dizzy:

Arctic, I wouldn't eat the cupcake either, not this time anyway.

I allow myself pie on Thanksgiving, fudge on Christmas, etc. and thankfully, occasional well planned treats hasn't affected my weight loss or my determination. But baking cupcakes at home isn't a special event. If I were you, I'd wait and have a cupcake at a holiday party or family event. You can wait, and I bet you'd enjoy it more in a setting like that anyway.

I also chew sugarless gum while I'm baking. It tastes good, smells good and keeps me from mindlessly tasting the batter. :lol: (I chew it at staff meetings and church events where there are lots of goodies, too.)

chubbybunny29
10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I'd eat something nice and satisfying before beginning to bake too. I know that sweets sampling isn't about hunger, but the fact you're not hungry will help for sure!

Lexxiss
10-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi! Checking in...busy day, but OP! Dinner is steaming away right now.

Arctic Stamp Queen, I, personally, would not eat the cupcake. I was strictly OP for 6 months before even trying something off plan. In my opinion, one of the best things about SBD is that when you don't eat that stuff you don't crave it-physically, at least, which to me means a much easier way of losing weight. I needed some time and confidence before venturing off the plan. The chance that one cupcake at this point could send you back into craving again just isn't worth it. As others have mentioned, there seems to be a much better and more planned way to have a treat.

Take care everyone! See you tomorrow!

Arctic Stamp Queen
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Thank you ladies..I decided to make Phase I crepes for dinner tonight and skip making the cupcakes altogether! She signed me up without asking, she can go buy some. I'm not ready for the temptation. Problem solved!

cottagebythesea
10-21-2010, 09:30 PM
:bravo: , Arctic Stamp Queen!

BelovedK
10-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow, tired...long...day...

:wave: everyone!! I left the house early this morning and am just settling in.

I have read, but no time for personals.

I just wanted to add that DH and I went to a Mexican place for dinner. I ate OP and well. I had a shrimp fajita without the wrap. Yummo.

TallandThin
10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
ASQ - I'm so proud of you lady! Been thinking about you every since I saw your post. You have got to feel so much better knowing you cleared this hurdle. Have a good night and get up with confidence..........