Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1  

Default Still not losing.

Hi,
I'm new here so I'm sorry if I post something that's been covered before.

I'm 25 years old and have a few things working against me. I have a history of both hyper and hypo thyroidism, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis(which has already resulted in both knees and both hips being replaced)

I am only 5'1, but I currently weigh 185lbs. My entire life, I only weighed between 110 and 120, but started gaining weight at a very fast pace when I started taking high doses of Prednisone. I was on this high dose for over three years. At my heaviest I weighed 205 pounds. Im not on the prednisone anymore, and I lost a couple pounds when I stopped taking it, but that was over 8 months ago. I also lost about 10 pounds after my surgeries. Because I was able to get around better.

I'd also like to be very clear when I say that I eat a good diet. I literally NEVER eat fast food, or drink sodas. I only rarely have sweets. In the past, I was always able to drop weight by reducing calories. It was simple. This time, I dropped by calories to about 1200 a day. I lost a couple of pounds, but it stopped working. After 2 month, I saw my family doctor who informed me that it was impossible to NOT lose weight if you are only eating 1200 a day and that I must be miscalculating. She gave me the name of a website where you can track your calories. She was also very condescending when telling me that Prednisone doesn't make people gain weight. That it only increases appetite. She also prescribed me phentermine.
That was 6 weeks ago and I've been consuming only between 700-900 calories a day the entire time. I've only lost 3 pounds. Oh, and I am doing what limited exercising my physical therapist allows.

I cant even begin to explain how frustrated I am. It's not like I haven't put the effort into it. I haven't been able to find much information on the internet that applies to my situation either. I guess I was hoping someone else had some advice?
penny1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

You very well might be eating too FEW calories. Women should NEVER EVER go below 1200 calories....and if you're at 185 pounds, 1200 is too few.....you could be caught in a starvation mode cycle....you can lose muscle mass, which means you burn even FEWER calories ever day, even sitting still.

Are you able to do anything that raises heart rate? My dad has had joint replacements, and the hardest thing is to do aerobic work outs. He's only recently been allowed back to biking, and his hip replacement was over a year ago. Getting the heart rate up can help a LOT with weight loss. Building muscle is very good, too, as you then burn more calories just sitting still.

I think you need to find a less condescending doctor (just burns me up when they are like that), need to eat MORE calories in a day, and keep up with your rehab, as you'll be able to move more and more. Joint issues stink so bad - but you can get to the end of the tunnel.
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply!
I'm up to 20 minutes a day on my exercise bike and walking between 10-15 minutes a day. It doesn't sound like much, but its huge to me
I don't know what to do about the calories.... I didn't lose any when I was eating closer to 2000 calories a day either. I wouldn't even care so much, if the excess weight wasn't so bad on all of my new joints. I would like to get as much time out of them as I can. Extra weight will wear them down sooner.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PENNY ~ you have been through a lot and your body is trying to heal right now and may be holding on to some weight for that reason too. First, you talk about 1200 cals then only 700-900 which are both just plain too low for someone your height. Then you say you didn't lose at 2000, which is really the average amount of calories the average female needs each day just to maintain her weight.

So you need to find a balance somewhere in between those numbers; say 1400-1600, cycling them each day. Try that and see what happens; and be sure to give it an honest go -- try it for a few months at least. Good luck -- you are doing well with your recovery ... keep it up!!!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-10-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/249/180

Height: 6'

I'm with the previous poster - try changing up your caloric intake. I did WW for a while - I ate the same thing every day. And I wasn't losing weight - even though I was eating my correct points. I shook it up a little - high points one day, low another, medium the third - and so on, and I lost weight. Too little and too many is bad over time. So if you keep your body guessing, you should do better.

That's AWESOME aerobic, from where you've been! I know how hard it was for my dad, he's still trying to find the right mix. I am too....no replacement (yet) but the pain - I gave in to it. So I'm trying NOT to give in.

Good luck - and many hugs. Frustration is very hard to work through.
buttons77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/235/sgw 220/lgw 150

Height: 5'5"

Have you had any blood tests done recently? I started gaining weight rapidly over the past year and couldn't get it off. I recently went to the doctor and found out i have a severe Vitamin D deficiency, which can prevent you from being able to lose weight.
stronger4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #7  

Stronger4me,
My rheumatologist told me I had a severe vitamin D deficiency, but I didnt know that affected weight. That is very very interesting. I've been taking prescription strength Vit D pills. Ill ask her about it. Thanks!