Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Your go-to food

View Full Version : Your go-to food

carter
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed here before ... but I was thinking about my go-to food and wanted to see what others think of as theirs.

By go-to food I mean something you always have on hand, something that seems central to your weight-loss plan or process, maybe something that you didn't eat (or didn't eat much) before you started watching what you eat.

For me, it's apples.

I love apples. They are kind of a miracle food for me. Sweet, crunchy, satisfying. Easy to carry around, long shelf-life. I always keep apples on hand, in the office and at home, and reach for one for dessert or whenever I feel hungry between meals. I sometimes eat three apples in a day.

There is a runner-up - a wonderful cheese called nabulsi that I get at a middle-eastern market. I think it's Lebanese, though there are similar cheeses all over the mediterranean. It's a firm curd cheese, brined for a wonderful salty flavor, and just 80 calories an ounce. It's the runner-up only because I don't eat it as often as my beloved apples. But a sliced apple paired with a few slices of nabulsi is a magnificent snack that can keep me going for hours ...

what about you?

:carrot:

ma26
08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Homemade veggie chili or lentil stew. I always make sure I have one or the other in the fridge ready to go when I need to be able to zap something in the microwave. Also a big ready made salad to have as a healthy veggie full side at any meal.

Aubrey87
08-18-2010, 03:12 PM
My go-to is a package of Oatmeal. They fill me up in between meals and contain about 120 cal. The calorie content is a bit high but i usually have a pack between work and the gym. They also come in delicious flavors :)

caryesings
08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Non-fat yogurt. Initially vanilla, now a combo of vanilla and plain.

BettyBoop2B
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
My go-to is a package of Oatmeal. They fill me up in between meals and contain about 120 cal. The calorie content is a bit high but i usually have a pack between work and the gym. They also come in delicious flavors :)

I second the oatmeal. I absolutely love quaker oats maple and brown sugar. I have it every morning now and it keeps me full til lunch.

leeshalulu
09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I had to use my go to meal tonight simply because it was one of those crazy days where the best laid plans fail :dizzy: Here is my meal (feeds 2 to 3) depending if DH is on duty or not.
Individual frozen wild salmon filets thrown onto the Geaorge Foreman grill.
1 bag of Uncle Bens microwaveable brown rice nuked for 90 seconds.
1 crown of broccoli steamed.

This meal takes me less than 20 minutes to get on the table-its warm and comforting at the same time. :)

ringmaster
09-21-2010, 11:13 PM
ezekiel bread, oatmeal, frozen fish, frozen vegetables, greek yogurt. I like to keep things that won't go bad in case I don't get to food shopping one week I still have stuff to stay on plan.

fitkristi
09-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Cottage cheese - I eat it by the tubful.

punkrprincessa
09-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Shredded lettuce. Sounds weird, but the bags of shredded lettuce that they usually sell for $1 at the store is about 2.5 servings of 10 cal lettuce, so I usually eat an entire bag with red wine vinegar with my meals. Its a big filler, so if my meal isnt filling enough, I still feel full. Sounds weird, but works for me.

kellost
09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Homemade soups and oatmeal! They have been the key!!!!!

Jojo381972
09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
I've grown to love Vanilla no-fat yogurt by the Source. I add frozen raspberries on top! :)

Yummy for the tummy! :)

carter
09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Shredded lettuce. Sounds weird, but the bags of shredded lettuce that they usually sell for $1 at the store is about 2.5 servings of 10 cal lettuce, so I usually eat an entire bag with red wine vinegar with my meals. Its a big filler, so if my meal isnt filling enough, I still feel full. Sounds weird, but works for me.

Doesn't sound weird to me at all - I love lettuce, and I love red wine vinegar as well. At the salad bar at work I always load up with a big bed of lettuce before adding the rest of my choices. And, I put red wine vinegar on my salads and sometimes don't even bother adding any oil! I'm fortunate in that I don't need any kind of salad dressing beyond a little salt and vinegar to make raw veggies appealing to me.

Bombe
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I have a couple:

Eggs
Cherries
Yogurt
Morning Star Veggies Burgers (I really only like the black bean burger and california turkey burger flavors)

peevah00
11-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Chobani 0% plain with splenda and vanilla and string cheese!

fatmac
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Hard-boiled eggs!

But you are giving me some good ideas - I especially like the shredded lettuce with red wine vinegar idea!

Purpleegg
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Club soda, fat free ricotta, cocoa powder, nutrisweet, nonfat plain yogurt, tuna in a pouch and those steam in a bag veggies! I always eat a big bag of those veggies the minute I walk in the door! I have also recently discovered Cocopop Multigrain snack--they're sort of like rice cakes but thinner and crispier and they SMELL FRIED! So yummy with cinnamon and nutrisweet and spray butter. OH yeah, spray butter, another "go to, gotta have"! OH, another one--PB2! Powdered peanut butter, all natural but only 45 calories for 2 Tbsp. Man, dieting is so much easier than it used to be!

Sunshine73
11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Apples and cottage cheese. Paired together they're a fantastic and quick meal. Apples on their own are a fantastic snack.

krampus
11-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Mandarin oranges. Getting enough fruit has never been easier.

brokengently
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Mine are:

- 25g cheerios cereals + low fat milk (236cal)
- 45g post great grain cereals + non fat yogurt (347cal)

or just plain water!

breakfast food! yum!

KatVee
11-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Mine are spinach, eggs, and grapefruit. I always have them in the kitchen. I like all of the other ideas though.

foodmasochist
11-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Organic Girl Baby Spinach-i use it in salad and on veggie burgers or in a smoothie

Tofuti "cuties"-for when i want something sweet or a late night munch

soynuts-i keep them in car to ward off major hunger

store brand original soymilk

-fm

RunnerChemist
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I second spinach, oatmeal, eggs and cottage cheese. I will add canned beans (I prefer dry, but they are less quick), onion, carrots and garlic. I always have these things on hand, and will often have a home made soup in the freezer or homemade beans - soup, beans and salad have been key for me.

Horo
12-01-2010, 05:02 AM
I have to second apples as my go-to food; I love them and eat one nearly every day. There just seems to be something wrong with the world when I am out of apples!

Nola Celeste
12-01-2010, 05:28 AM
I eat more spinach than Popeye. Pre-cooked spinach goes into omelets, atop pizzas, and in soups; raw spinach goes on sandwiches, in wraps, and (of course) in salads. I couldn't live without it!

Sweet potatoes are another must-have. I bake a few at a time so that I always have one in the fridge ready to go. They really bulk up a light meal into a filling one and they satisfy the occasional carb craving beautifully.

Eggs and egg whites are another staple. They're sooo versatile--as long as I have some eggs in the house, I can eat well.

I should take previous posters' suggestions about the wonders of beans to heart. I love 'em, but they take forever to cook, don't they? Do y'all just cook them in big batches and parcel them out?

JOLINA
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I have homemade juice every day. 10 ounces.
Grape, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, apricot, wild peach, raspberry, wild grape, and pear.
I have my own trees, grape vines, and berry bushes. I pick the fruit, make the juice and pasteurize it. Then I freeze it.

:chef:

The juice is much better than commercially made. No preservatives, artificial colors or flavors. And it tastes much better.

:beach:

It regulates my blood sugar level. I don't drink soda...too many empty calories and chemicals.

I also get a lot of exercize taking care of the plants and trees, watering them, pruning, and picking. The pails of fruit are heavy..25 pounds each.
It's a lot of standing and heavy lifting to make juice.
I burn a lot of calories all summer and fall processing fruit.

:stir:

RunnerChemist
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Nola, I find that beans freeze really well. If I'm smart, I try to make more than I immediately need and freeze them in their cooking liquid. They also cook very quickly in a pressure cooker, I just haven't purchased one yet. Home cooked beans are SO SO much more tasty than canned beans, especially chick peas and black beans.

coffeebean267
12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
-low fat yogurt with frozen berries mixed in...the berries are still hard so it takes longer to eat
-low fat ranch dressing and veggies to dip in
-chickpeas right out of the can (about 100 calories for 1/2 cup!)

JennieGrl
12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
i love multi-grain rice cakes with almond butter with a cup of green tea.....have it just bout every night before bed!

darway
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
ALDI's usually has summer squash and sweet potatoes cheap, so I nearly always keep some of it on hand. Although it's not hard to buy a wide array of frozen vegetables, I like to mix in some fresh stuff - and these will keep for a long time in the refrigerator as they get whittled down.

deetermined2
12-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Fage Greek yogurt with Barlean's Omega Swirls. Yum!

Also, green tea with a little stevia.

JenMusic
12-04-2010, 11:22 PM
More votes for eggs, spinach, oats, and Greek yogurt.

I'll also add Trader Joe's 45 cal tortillas (I think they have "Reduced Carb" somewhere in their name). They have fiber and protein, and make a very tasty, low-cal snack when paired with some veggies and a lean protein.

Black beans - I do canned, because I have to choose my battles.

Bird's Eye brand frozen pepper stir-fry mix - a great mix of red, yellow and gree bell peppers, along with onions. This gets mixed into almost every dish I make for an additional veggie serving.

Hummus - any kind with fewer than 50 cals per serving (Trader Joe's has some great ones). I use this on sandwiches and wraps, and as a veggie dip.

Salsa. It's ridiculous what I will now put salsa on. :)

JMSilver
12-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Pickles. :) They satisfy my snacking wants, my wants for crunchy, and I love cutting them up to put in cottage cheese - my #2 go-to food.

joyful retiree
12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Soups & beans of all kinds for meals-----Popcorn for snacks.

mkendrick
12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I have eaten these three things over and over and over and over. Literally, I'll have these same three things each day for days on end. I never get tired of them, and having such staples has made the weight loss and maintenance easier. I always know that I have tremendously satisfying and delicious foods (to me at least) that are safe and on plan.

- Oatmeal: 3/4 cup oats, cinnamon, 2 sweetener packets, enough water to nearly fill the 1.5qt mixing bowl the oats are in. Microwave until the oats are fully saturated. Mix in either 1/2 cup light n' fit yogurt OR 1/2 cup pure pumpkin (I add some pumpkin pie spice if I'm using pumpkin). It makes the biggest tastiest bowl of oatmeal ever and I love every single bite, haha. With either yogurt or pumpkin it's just under 300 cal.

- Eggs over toast: 1/3 small onion diced, 1/2 medium tomato diced, 3 slices fat free turkey diced, 1 cup egg white beaters. Cook and scramble all that together and slop it on 4 slices of toasted 35cal/slice wheat bread. Lightly drizzle with sugarfree maple syrup, and I usually put strips of fat free cheese on it to melt. I'm one of the few people that can stand fat free cheese.

- Popcorn. 1/4 cup kernels air-popped. As they're spewing out of my air popper, I spritz them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Then I sprinkle a couple sweetener packets and cinnamon and juuuust a dash of salt on it. It makes a huuuuuuge bowl of popcorn, and it tastes like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. 240 cal.