Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/241/140

Height: 5'3

Default Question for those who have lost 50 pounds...

So I have lost 53 of the 130 pounds I want to lose and I am a little bit discouraged at my measurements. I only lost 4 inches from my chest, 3 1/2 from my hips and nothing at all from my waist!! Is this normal??? How much have other people lost that have lost around 50 pounds?!?

Last edited by bright83; 07-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.
bright83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Well...hmmm...I can't imagine it's not normal. It had to come off from somewhere. I've heard that it comes off in backwards order of the way you gained it. Where do you remember last gaining it? For me, that's my butt and that's where the most weight has come from in terms of inches.

Also, what's your body shape? If you're what I refer to myself as...a former rectangle...then you'd have weight distributed all over from your toes to teeth. I had fat to lose in places I didn't know people could have fat. My feet went from a medium back to its old size AAA. Those inches didn't show up in my waist loss inches.

It is surprising that your waist didn't shrink, but not necessarily abnormal FOR YOU. How long has it taken?

Last edited by Eliana; 07-27-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

Well I have lost weight, regained, and lost again more times than I care to mention. Most recently, I have been "eating clean". My diet has consisted of mostly protein & vegetables with some fruit, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. It has included practically no processed foods. Since I've started eating this way (along with weight training) I find that I'm losing inches much faster than any other plan I've been on. The reason is because I'm losing FAT as opposed to losing lean body mass. It really makes a big difference.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/241/140

Height: 5'3

Well I am one of those people that gains weight EVERYWHERE so that might be part of the problem....Seriously I think my ears are the only thing on me that are not fat! I have been losing since march and the funny thing is that everyone keeps saying I must be losing more inches than pounds because I look like I have lost more than 50 so far. I am one of those people though that people always think weigh less than they do. My grandmother for instance is convinced that I weighed 250 at my heaviest and she thinks that is soooo huge....little does she know that it was actually 271!! Anyways I guess I just thought that 50 pounds would correlate to more inches....
bright83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294.4/204.4/170

For me it was normal too...I didn't measure...but my clothes started to get really baggy around 205. It takes more weightloss to see a small difference when your bigger...once you get some of the weight off you will see a bigger difference with less pounds. Does that make sense? I've gone down more sizes in my last 30lbs than I did in my first 50lbs. Hang in there, it's a crazy ride from here!
lookin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I wish I could remember my original measurements, but with 45 pounds lost, I've lost about 6 inches from my chest and hips. My waist is shrinking the slowest and I lost about 4 or 5 inches from there.

Sometimes measurements are not that precise, especially in the waist area. I am an apple and my belly can grow or shrink by 2-3 inches because of water retention.

Hang in there. You are doing fantastic.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #7  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Im about the same height as you - I didn't measure but went with clothes fitting etc - and it wasn't until I hit the 60 lb mark that I really noticed a huge difference. at around 50 lbs I could still wear my size 16's comfortably loose, meaning I didn't need a belt, but once I hit the 60 lb mark that just wasn't happening anymore belt or no belt!

I think in the next little bit is when you'll start to notice it more, and for me anyway, it came out of no where, just BAM down a size almost like something shifted in the middle of the night.

and WOO HOO to you for 50 lbs!!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

I've been having this problem with my weight loss too. It seems like I'm losing fat everywhere except my belly area, however, when I looked at pictures I noticed that wasn't true.

Looking at myself now in the mirror, I just have a really hard time imagining that big stomach of mine being around for 30 more pounds. It's the one thing I've wanted to go away the most that is taking the most time.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I didn't take my initial measurements because I knew they would depress me, but doubt they dropped much the first 40 lbs. Then lost inches like mad between 225 and 190. Now my waist has not budged in the last 25 lbs so figure it must be coming off places I don't measure like my upper arms and legs.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #10  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I would guess that you're losing weight from places you didn't measure. You and I had close to the same starting weight, and I'm just a little taller than you - at 50 lbs down, I don't know how much I'd lost measurementwise, but it didn't seem like a lot. There were areas I could really see it - my face, and my legs in particular. My hips a bit. My waist, almost not at all. I'm 80 lbs down now, and it's just in the last 15-20 lbs that I've seen a lot of changes in my waist and the area between my waist and my breasts.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

You know-- in a little over a year, my waist has gone from 49" to 33", so I KNOW that I've lost inches, but it totally seemed to me for the longest time that my waist wasn't losing anything...

I think measuring is hard-- you have to hit the exact right spot, and if you're bloated or pulling the tape a little tighter or looser it might make a difference.

I keep ALL my weight on my waist and hips, so that might be part of why it took sooooooooo long to see a difference there.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #12  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin2lose View Post
It takes more weightloss to see a small difference when your bigger...once you get some of the weight off you will see a bigger difference with less pounds.
Thank you for saying that...I expect to see differences over night...and what you said really rings true for me. So thanks!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #13  
Never give up!!!

S/C/G: 245/235/185

Height: 5'4"

I just WI yesterday & got measured at a center I go to. I am down 49.5 pounds & 41 inches. I know I am losing, but not in my stomach which is where I would like it to come off now. My pants are very baggy in the backside, but my belly just keeps sticking out. I talked to my consultant & she said that some people lose from head to toe & some from toe to head. My upper half is losing inches like crazy, but my lower half is going at a slower rate. I know that if I did some more exercise it would help me & I think that I am going to focus now on my core since that is the place I seem to having issues with still. I can't wait for the day I don't have to worry about shirts covering my belly!!!
shannysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I haven't measured, but at 61 I have just really started noticing significant shrinkage. My parts, all of them, are surprising me all of the sudden. It will happen suddenly, I feel like.

Last edited by rachael; 07-27-2010 at 08:39 PM.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #15  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm not at 50 lbs. yet, but I took my starting measurements and then remeasured at three months and had lost 15 inches, mostly from my hips, waist and chest. I carry the most weight in my hips and stomach, so that was a relief. I won't measure again for another two months or so, but I expect to lose close to the same amount, making me about 30 inches in 60 lbs.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote