Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default Darn, if this doesn't work!

This calorie counting, I mean. I am down 10 lbs. in 3 weeks, eating 1900-2100 calories a day and exercising daily.

This is how I lost a bunch of weight a few years back and I am so frustrated that I even considered stopping the calorie counting. Obviously, I cannot just manage my weight by watching what I eat -- or I wouldn't have gotten here in the first place.

But CC DOES work and I am in no way depriving myself. I work in 100-200 calories of dark chocolate daily to make sure I don't feel deprived. It's also what I bring to parties and social events so I have my own treat.

Anyway, second time CC to lose the weight I re-gained while not CC and get to goal and YES, I am convinced now that I will be CC for life!

Last edited by knitsforfive; 07-15-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add missing word
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/193/160

Height: 68 inches

Default Keep it up

I myself had a recent period when I stopped counting calories (my father died in a freak accident, and it was really hard on me) but I think calorie counting can change the way you view portion sizes, and honestly, I used to never think about calorie counts in foods, I guess I really didn't want to know.

Good luck.
little larue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on your progress! I agree, CC really works.

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I am amazed by calorie counting. I truly think about food and portion sizes differently. I deprive myself nothing. Simply count the calories. I go out to eat and bring half of it home and FEEL BETTER than I ever did when I would eat it ALL. This really is liberating. I started last Saturday and already my clothes fit a TINY bit looser. Encouraging
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Knitsforfive, congratulations on your progress! I agree, I think calorie counting works well. I even swapped a couple of medium-sized dishes for small ones for my meals, so that I've got a full bowl or plate.

Charmtime, congratulations to you, too. I do like taking baggies and Tupperware when I go out to eat.

Little larue, I'm very sorry about your father. Am sending you lots of good thoughts!

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-15-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: corrected an error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I tell you, the only reason we don't hear more about calorie counting is because there isn't any money in selling a book that's all about calories in vs. calories out...you know...the stuff we already know. It makes me crazy that I tried all those others fads before I ever fell back on the obvious.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #7  
Meg

You're absolutely right, Eliana. All we need for weight loss is some free calorie counting software, measuring cups and a food scale, and a good pair of gym shoes. Where's the profit in that??

Our bodies count calories every day, even if we don't. Why not take control of that process? Not only does calorie counting work wonderfully well for weight loss, it works extraordinarily well for maintenance. It truly is that "lifestyle change" that we can sustain for the rest of our lives.

Sign me: eight plus years of maintenance and still counting calories every day!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Our bodies count calories every day, even if we don't. Why not take control of that process?
So that's why eating when no one was watching never worked! My body always knew! Oh, the stupid little games we play...
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #9  
Child of Har, 6rayedstar

S/C/G: 361/200/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
You're absolutely right, Eliana. All we need for weight loss is some free calorie counting software, measuring cups and a food scale, and a good pair of gym shoes. Where's the profit in that??

Our bodies count calories every day, even if we don't. Why not take control of that process? Not only does calorie counting work wonderfully well for weight loss, it works extraordinarily well for maintenance. It truly is that "lifestyle change" that we can sustain for the rest of our lives.

Meg

It took me forever to realize this truth! Especially the part about never stopping the calorie counting. You are 100% correct. Our bodies never stop counting calories, so we can never stop either. Wow though 8 years of consistency ! I commend you
Harsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:

you're like a calorie counting superhero to me, lol
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I cant get over how much i have spent on books videos diet plans all to feel like a total failure. This monday i said why not just try counting calories give yourself a break from how much fat carbs or sugars to eat or give up this or that. well holy moly i am down 3 pounds and not once did i feel deprived. I eat about every 3 hours (3 meals and 3 snacks) roughly 6am-9am-12pm-3pm-530pm-830. and the best thing i learned this week lol..i was buying the 100 calorie microwave popcorn and not feeling satisfied. well I checked out my sons big bag of natural (hes allergic to milk) microwave popcorn and well the huge whole bag only 122 calories so guess what i am going to buy more of and it was good light and fluffy.
ratucker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Been calorie counting just shy of 4 years - to me it's just so - logical. It makes so much sense.

For me too, *watching myself* and *cutting back* never worked. Helllloooo - you've got to actually COUNT/keep track of those calories since it's so easy to overspend them.

Why in the world was I guessing with something so important?

And the great thing about it is, then when you start counting those cals, each one becomes so much more valuable to you and you become pickier and choosier. It's so logical!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I had read to eat the amount of calories it would take to maintain the weight you want to be. In my case its like 1649 for 145 lbs. I have been eating 1600 this week. I am just wondering if that would really work? then when i got down to my weight i want to be i would be use to eating that way and wouldnt really have to cut out more as i lose weight. it was just a interesting aritcle i had read somewhere and wondering if anyone did that.
ratucker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratucker5 View Post
I had read to eat the amount of calories it would take to maintain the weight you want to be. In my case its like 1649 for 145 lbs. I have been eating 1600 this week. I am just wondering if that would really work? then when i got down to my weight i want to be i would be use to eating that way and wouldnt really have to cut out more as i lose weight. it was just a interesting aritcle i had read somewhere and wondering if anyone did that.
The *problem* is, is that all of these calculators are based on averages of what has/will work for MANY people. And we are all unique beings, individuals that is. There are dozens of variables thrown in for each person which throws those numbers completely off.

The best thing you can do is experiment to find out which *numbers* work for you - and which ones don't.

I personally think 1600 calories would be a great place for you to start experimenting. Follow and track that number faithfully for 2 - 3 weeks, look at your data and adjust accordingly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #15  

It really is the truth. Anytime I've lost weight consistently and the times I've maintained have been through calorie counting. I started again in earnest just this past Monday and am already down (and this is with 1600 calories per day).

I have been thisclose to doing Eat to Live for some time now (and believe me, veggies are a real challenge for me) but decided to try what has always worked in the past one more time. I really really really love chicken so I am highly motivated not to go vegan. lol

To the OP--yay! and to Meg--what a great inspiration!
Merediths Mom is offline   Reply With Quote