Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default I need some advice on equipment please

I am still in the beginning stages of toning and I do most of my exercises with tension bands and my 3 and 10 pound barbells. My husband is trying to body build as well and he is ready for us to expand our little home gym (basement) but we are on a tight budget. I have about $100 to spend to set up something so I need to make it count.

We found a nice gym in the classifieds for $100. It is a Weider 9635 Home Gym. Here is a link to a stock picture of it.

http://www.lespuces.com/reimages/08025021692.jpg

info on gym:
Quote:
Weider Pro 9635 home gym, unit has eight workout stations and accommodates up to 3 users.... 212 lb. dual weight stack, max resistance is 360 lbs.

The Weider PRO 9635 is similar to the Weider PRO 4100. However, both differ only in overall appearance and dimension. The PRO 9635 measures 76 inches in height, 89 inches in width, and 64 inches in length. The machine is meant for use on leveled surfaces, for anyone above the age of 12 years and weight below 300 pounds. As the machine's amount of resistance is increased, it pushes the muscles to the maximum endurance level, hence, providing a complete work-out for the muscles. However, the resistance of the machine should be increased progressively, either by changing the amount of weight used or by changing the set of activities performed on this home gym.
The Weider PRO 9635 is equipped with a military press for the shoulders and the upper arms. Butterfly arms and press arms have been installed for the arms, the chest, and the shoulders. The system has a backrest to prevent injuries and slipped discs while exercising. For exercising the muscles of the legs, the system is enhanced with a leg lever which works on the hamstrings, a leg press plate for the quadriceps, and a foot plate for absorbing shocks. The upper pulley and the lower pulley connect to the weight and, thus, the user can adjust the weights and intensity according to his or her capacity. The Lat bar is installed for exercising the the Latissimus Dorsi.
For around the same price I can get a stack of free weights and a little bench although it may have to take some time to find a deal on the classifieds. I am really unsure what to get. I read through the sticky about machines VS free weights so I know that the free weights can be better but I am a little intimidated about lifting free weighs on a bench and the machine seems like it might be better for me. I would be more comfortable using it and I could see myself actually wanting to use it more than free weights. I don't want to get it if it's not going to give me, and my husband, results. He said he would use the machine but if it's not going to build more muscle it will be pointless. He is getting pretty built already and needs about 200 pounds of resistance.

Which would you choose and do you thing the machine would work for both my toning, and my husband's body building or would it be inadequate? If I did get a bench, can anyone point me in the direction of a site with instructions to beginner exercises and rep information.

Any suggestions

Last edited by sweetnlow28; 06-29-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added info for gym
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #2  
Workin' It

I used a Weider home gym for a long time, the one with resistance bars like the Bowflex. DH & I both used it. We have since upgraded to a squat rack with free weights as we both outgrew the other - it had a max of 225 lbs of resistance. This one is 360, so that is better. Though 360 pounds of resistance doesn't directly correlate to 360 pounds, so keep that in mind. I liked the fact that it let me learn the exercises without the risk of dropping a barbell on my head. It sounds like you might have some of those same fears.

I would think that the machine you are looking at would accomplish what you and DH are looking for to start. If he uses it long term he might outgrow it, but I would think it would be fine for a while. My brother has one that looks very similar to this one and he is enjoying it greatly. That is a great price for it, just check and make sure that all of the parts are there.

On the bench and free weights, they are totally doable. I started with dumbbells rather than a barbell and weight plates, I was much more comfortable that way. Learned slowly, moved up to a bar when I was ready.

www.exrx.net has directions for a lot of exercises.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 06-29-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I'd never recommend any machine like the one you are looking at. I would highly suggest looking into free weights and maybe eventually a squat rack which is much more versatile. Machines tend to isolate muscles and can even put your body in an unnatural position.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

There is no difference between your "toning" and your husband's "body building" (assuming he is not actually prepping for a BB comp). Weight training is weight training. Building muscle is building muscle. You can use the same equipment. Resistance bands and 3/10lb dumbbells are IMO inferior to a barbell and larger set of dumbbells. A squat rack, a barbell, a bench and some plates are all a person really needs to make a difference.

Again, my opinion, as I hate to see women waste their time on "toning exercises"...

Last edited by sacha; 06-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #5  
I am worth it

Thanks for the help and insight I will talk it over with my husband and see what we come up with. If I decide to go with the free weights, it may take some time to find a proper set for a decent price. I still kinda like that gym LOL Maybe I should get the gym for me, and get some weight for the DH when we have extra cash again...decisions
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend reading through this although it may be long:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...e-weights.html
and this:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-machines.html

Which talk about reasons to avoid weight 'machines'.

And here is a little snippet from the second article:

"Researchers, for instance, have known that the leg-extension machine (the unit in which you sit with your shin behind a padded bar attached to a weight stack and then straighten your leg in front of you) trains you to do just one thing: become very strong at the leg-extension machine. In one of the few studies on this subject, researchers from the University of Kentucky studied 23 patients with knee pain to see what made them stronger: a step-up test or doing leg extensions. While they found that both groups eventually became stronger at doing leg extensions, only the group doing the step-up test actually became stronger at stepping up and doing functional activities. The reason: The seated leg-extension machine has nothing to do with how we use our legs, which are meant to hold us upright against gravity while we walk, climb, or descend."
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 View Post
Thanks for the help and insight I will talk it over with my husband and see what we come up with. If I decide to go with the free weights, it may take some time to find a proper set for a decent price. I still kinda like that gym LOL Maybe I should get the gym for me, and get some weight for the DH when we have extra cash again...decisions
Craigslist!

Seriously. You will get great fitness equipment that is barely used for half the price (or less).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #8  
I am worth it

Thanks again for all your replies I better go with what the experts say rather than what looks fancy and more fun to use LOL. craigslist never has many things listed here in our area (small town in Canada). It never really caught on here like it did in the US. kijiji.ca is our Canadian version of craigslist and I love it! That is where I found the gym for a great deal. We will keep an eye out for a bench instead. I will probably be posting a thread asking for some beginner help once I get things set up. I am really clueless where to even begin and I have limitations with a damaged back as well. Finding a good deal is the first step
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

SweetnLow: I just wanted to add

Nice job with your weight loss.

Your going to love strength training with free weights. Seriously. My favorite site as a newbie was http://www.stumptuous.com/ . I just really found her inspiring and her site loaded with valuable info for women who are just beginning.

As far as purchases, I would begin with a pair of 10 or 12lb, 15lb, and a 20lb dumb bell for myself. You can purchase heavier as you progress, kind of add as you go.

A bench would be nice but I would put my money in the dumb bells first and use a physioball as my bench. Just a thought.

I think another useful site for putting together workouts is www.trainwithmeonline.com. Some bodyweight exercises there, minimal equipment and free weights.

Best of luck!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #10  
I am worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
SweetnLow: I just wanted to add

Nice job with your weight loss.

Your going to love strength training with free weights. Seriously. My favorite site as a newbie was http://www.stumptuous.com/ . I just really found her inspiring and her site loaded with valuable info for women who are just beginning.

As far as purchases, I would begin with a pair of 10 or 12lb, 15lb, and a 20lb dumb bell for myself. You can purchase heavier as you progress, kind of add as you go.

A bench would be nice but I would put my money in the dumb bells first and use a physioball as my bench. Just a thought.

I think another useful site for putting together workouts is www.trainwithmeonline.com. Some bodyweight exercises there, minimal equipment and free weights.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the nice comment I will check out the sites you mentioned
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #11  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Ditto that! I purchased my very first (I'm so excited!) barbell and weight plates off of CL this weekend--190#s in plates plus the bar for $50.

CL is a GREAT way to start/add to your home gym on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Craigslist!

Seriously. You will get great fitness equipment that is barely used for half the price (or less).
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote