Whole Foods Lifestyle - The Brown Rice Solution

View Full Version : The Brown Rice Solution

bonnnie
06-27-2010, 05:06 AM
I always struggled cooking brown rice, until recently - after I found this amazing 'baked brown rice' recipe.... its so easy and so good.

1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 heaping tbs vegetable (or chicken broth)
1 tbs of any oil or butter (it doesn't matter which)

preheat the oven to 375. heat the water, broth and oil to a boil, then add rice, stir. pour everything into a casserole dish, cover, and place in oven for app. 1 hour. take out and let it sit for 10 minutes.

It is so easy and healthy, I'm basically making this almost everyday. Its not too soggy or too crunchy- perfect, with a subtle flavor. It really allows you to enjoy the brown rice itself. Enjoy!

Oh, and remember - never 'peak' into the rice as it is cooking! This will mess it up.

bacilli
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I bake my brown rice also. I usually put it in the toaster oven, so as to not heat up the entire house. I spray the pan with olive oil so the rice doesn't stick, it's just a tiny coating. Other than that, I just use rice and water/broth.

mandalinn82
06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
This is Alton's recipe - it's awesome. So easy, and so good!

ohmai
07-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for posting this. I never knew you could cook it like this. My family loves rice and getting it right is about 50/50 here, especially when someone else is cooking :) This method looks a bit more fool-proof.

therex
07-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm definitely going to try this. I use to cook brown rice in a rice cooker, but always had problems with it.

nelie
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I bake rice during the winter but I've been cooking it on the stove since its hot. I also don't put any oil in it. Just water, brown rice and a little salt.

chewy
07-27-2010, 01:32 AM
I just tried this tonight. It worked great. I did step 1 stove top and used a casserole dish with heavy foil as the lid in the oven. I also used the I cant believe it's not butter, not the unsalted but I did have kosher salt on hand.