Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default what was/is the hardest part for you

I have lost 98 pounds (52 before surgery and 46 in the 8 1/2 weeks since) and I am thrilled but sometimes I need to vent a little and hope I am not the only one.

So I wonder what are you tired of?
What is the hardest part of post (or even pre) surgery life for you?
What is the food you miss most?
What drives you crazy about what you can/can't eat or drink?
and what is the hardest about the physical changes?
and finally..
What is the one thing other people say or do that makes you crazy?

Me:
I am tired of being tired... it is ALL the time now it seems, mentally and physically , I get so wiped out and I am trying to get enough protein and taking Iron and my vitimins and trying to work out as much as I can (though I do slack on all but the vitimins occasionally)

The hardest part of post surgery life is trying to get enough water and protein while not being able to eat or drink within 30 mins of each other and being so darn sleepy that I nap a lot. that and the vitimins, I can't take them if I have eaten with-in 30 mins or have had more than a little water right before or I throw them up.

I miss baked goods SOOOOOO much right now even a bite or two of cake or cookies and the gas pains make me miserable for hours and I spend hours worrying that I will be noisy or stinky around people. that and coffee...lol Decaf is nice but just not the same

it drives me crazy that that I can't take my damn huge vitimins if I have eaten with-in 30 mins or have had more than a little water right before or I throw them up. the whole throwing up thing bugs me, I have fought bulimia most of my life and now that I dont want to throw up I do if i eat too fast, too much or drink too close to food, I will TRY and I will Think I am doing it right and then BOOM.

The Hardest Physical Change is the weakness I still hurt and now I am often weak in my thighs as well as sore in my knees, I know exercise is the cure but when you are both weak and hurt it is sometimes soooo damn hard to do

Finally... I just get tired of people acting like it is easy, most dont mind you but people I dont know so well act like I took the easy way out.. I hate the words "did you try to diet before you decided on surgery?"
I am proud I lost the 52 pounds, it is the first time i lost over 30 and I worked hard but i am working hard now too and I want to say "damn why didn't that occure to me BEFORE I had my insides cut out?"

OK I feel MUCH better having ranted... now I should do a positive spin on these questions (another post)
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Well, I don't have any food or beverage intolerances at all, although starchy carbs do give me painful gas (but I carry Gas-X with me, and that works wonders if I remember to take it right before or while I'm eating the offending carbs). The worst part for me, right now, is knowing that I may never reach goal. Of course, losing 100+ pounds is something I am very grateful for, but everyone wants to reach goal, right? Reality is, many people never do, and I still have 50+ pounds to go and haven't lost much weight in the past 7 months or so.

BUT...I also feel I've burned myself out from so many years of extensive exercise and dieting, both pre- and post-op. I am confident I could lose more weight at this point if I just went back to, well, dieting like I did pre-op (super low carb, tracking my food, bumping up the exercise, etc.). But I'm just so tired of it. It's not a "lifestyle" for me because it's too much work, and I can't keep it up forever, so I fizzle out after a few months. Wow, how whiney does that sound? To fit everything I need to do into my lifestyle, I would have to work less or change jobs, which would adversely affect my pay, which would adversely affect what I can afford (including types of food, supplements, etc.). Or maybe I could just not sleep
Alright, I'm going to go to your positive thread now so I stop being such a baby!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #3  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Jill-the surgeon at the seminar said that people on average only lose 60% of their excess weight and made sure we calculated our excess weight and figured out what 60% of that was. He said if we wouldn't be satisfied with that-that we likely wouldn't be happy with WLS . . .of course, that's the average. I lost nearly 100lbs 3 years ago and was right about the weight you are now-I felt very healthy (then again I was in the middle of training for a marathon so I got lots of exercise!) but even though I was technically still obese-I was really happy at that weight-plus size 14 or misses 16 and XL. . ..loved the shopping!

You're looking great-maybe in the future you'll feel more like buckling down for another major drop in weight . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

60-65% is usually quoted as the long-term average for RNY - I believe average short-term losses for RNY are closer to 70-75%. For the DS (which is the procedure I chose), the numbers are higher, in the neighborhood of 85-90% short-term and 80-84% long-term. Of course, this is all according to published medical literature/studies; individual WLS practices will have their own statistics for their patients.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I have found that I am finally getting more energy. I had RNY 11 weeks ago. I definitely feel better when I get a balance meal day, not just all my protein.

Eating as much as I'm supposed to. It is so easy to not eat much. And I don't really want anything because I'm not hungry. Do not miss baked goods at all. I get my chocolate fix through my shakes.

Diet Coke

It's hard to go out to eat because I feel like I can barely eat enough to really enjoy it. Which is wrong. You really enjoy the first couple of bites the most. And that's what I can eat. Then I get to enjoy them the next day! I miss being able to chug cold water.

I'm not seeing it in the mirror. I know it's happening. Pictures prove it. But, in my mirror, I'm still really fat.

So far, it is just my mother asking me how I can go out to eat with friends. Duh!! Share, order something small, or take a doggie bag.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I miss soda, even diet soda. I think it's the thing I miss the most since surgery.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #7  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

[QUOTE=basketcase;3347642][B]
It's hard to go out to eat because I feel like I can barely eat enough to really enjoy it. Which is wrong. You really enjoy the first couple of bites the most. And that's what I can eat. Then I get to enjoy them the next day! I miss being able to chug cold water.

OH MAN I miss water, not that I dont drink but I miss chugging a half a qt of it at a time whenever I want!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

the hardest part for me has always been - and still is! - the leftover problem. not only do i not like eating the same thing 3-4 days in a row, there's just something about them at about the 3rd day that just makes them come right back up!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #9  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
the hardest part for me has always been - and still is! - the leftover problem. not only do i not like eating the same thing 3-4 days in a row, there's just something about them at about the 3rd day that just makes them come right back up!
I invest in a lot of little dishes that I can freeze and I am learning to cook smaller amounts, I hate tossing stuff but I am getting better about it since I also can't stand the same stuff over and over.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 404/299/180

Height: 5'11

Throwing up food that I am simply intolerent of. It's a trial and error for me even now, six months after my surgery.

Getting all my protein in and making sure I remember my vitamins. Well, that and the payments on my surgery.

Pasta

What drives you crazy about what you can/can't eat or drink
?
I miss sweet tea. And I can't have pasta. Did i mention I miss pasta? Sigh.

The droopy skin. And the lack of strength I have. I have started weight training to work on both.

Sarcastically say "oh you are such a skinny minnie now!" or tell me I took the easy way out.
iwillsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

The hardest thing for me is drinking that damn water. So far, I have not even come close to drinking even 24 oz of the stuff. The easy part is now wearin clothes that are size 10 instead of 22. Don't get discouraged, you will make your goal.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote