Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

Default can't seem to be able to stabilize my weight-- is it within "normal" range

okay...

so the last month, came back from holiday and am continuing my maintenance efforts.
yet, my weight is flunctuating, and whilst i know that this is an acceptable fact, i am not sure if i am maybe doing something wrong.

my weight has flunctuated between 142.7 and 146.3... i dunno.. 4 pounds seems like quite a big flunctuation? or is it normal?

this morning it was 144...

yes- i weight myself same time/ same lack of clothing etc.. so that's not what it is.. and about TOM, well a whole month of ups and downs is not really the case. when i was losing weight, usually i'd come at a stall before TOM and then lose a couple of pounds straight after.

feedback?

grrrkgrrrl
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

4-5 pounds seems to be an acceptable range of variation to me. My weight can fluctuate that much in a day - a good reason to only compare the scale at the same time/same conditions every day. I think if you try to keep yourself to an absolute figure you'll drive yourself When you see the top number of your range for 2-3 days, you might want to tighten up your diet until you see the low or mid-range for a couple days. It's all a balancing act.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #3  

thanks, Pat.. i would never dream to keep myself at an absolute figure, that would be too much for anyone.. i was just wondering how much of a fluctuation is acceptable..

maintenance is a bigger headache than weight loss.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

grrrkgrrrl

I spent several years in maintenance (or as I refer to it "denial" over losing the rest of what I want to lose).

I cab easily fluctuate 4 to 5lbs in a day on the scale. Heck, weekends definately! as that is my off routine time. But it was the over indulging on the weekends that allowed my weight to slowly creep back on. It is something you have to watch, but not too closely that you don't go nuts.

Since you have a fluctuation, why not try a 7 day rolling average weight instead of a day to day count. If you see a trend for an upward then eat less and work out more to get back on track.

Another tip would be to set an upper limit. For myself, 150lbs is my upper limit. (someday I hope to say its 140, or even 130, but we'll see). So, if I find that my weekly weigh in is above 150, its time for me to get serious and do something to get back on track. I hit 152 and stuck there for a couple weeks, which is why I'm here and getting back on track.

Just remember, foods high in sodium can make you retain water, which will make the scale higher. Length of time between "bathroom" trips can impact the scale, and for me, foods high in sugar and carbs also make me retain water.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #5  

monkey!

what u said makes perfect sense! i will try the "average weight" from now on. i am not even close to my "omg upper limit", as this was set when i first hit maintenance at 147.5 pounds.. i've just lost a bit further than that since then.

thanks for the tip!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I sometimes fluctuate 4-7 pounds, especially if I eat a lot of salty food. It is perfectly normal, don't worry.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote