Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Default Resistence training program - thoughts?

OK, so far I've lost about 52lb and I have at least another 35lb to go (probably even more, but I'm playing it by ear.) I don't have any loose skin, but my body just has a "flabby" appearance if that makes sense. I know I look smaller than I did 52lb ago, but my body doesn't look awfully different to me. I suspect the reason is that I have not, until now, done any weight training. I do run, jump rope and do loads of cardio, but now I think I need to implement an ongoing weight training program. I have, in the past, tried to weight train but always given up because I feel like I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I watch videos on youtube to try and learn, but by the time I get to weight training I've forgotten the 101 things the trainers tell you and usually end up doing the move wrong or using horrible form. I don't want to injure myself, so I've given up.

But now I realise I don't want to end up "skinny fat" either, so I'm willing to start a program. I have heard some good things about "New Rules of Lifting for Women" - but since that's a book, I'm not sure it'll be useful at this stage as I feel I need to SEE how the moves are done and have visual guidance as I go along. I was thinking a DVD might be good, but there are so many out there that I wouldn't know what to choose. I also need one where I can use dumbbells as that's what I work with.

So does anyone have recommendations for DVDs? Obviously I don't need anything too hardcore as I am currently pretty weak, but I would like something where I can build it up, that covers whole body resistence training AND that will give me good results.

When I lifted a few days ago I used about 7lb per dumbell, (14lb) but I've decided that's just too much for me for now. I couldn't do more than three reps of some exercises and was using horrible form due to pain. I'm going to start with 2-3lb per dumbell (4lb altogether) and build it up from there.
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, I just got a some Kelly Coffey DVDs. I like her instruction style -- encouraging but not too chatty.

The one I started today was workout 1 on

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...o-fitness-7991

The back cover of this one suggested

Beginner -- 5 & 7 lb

Intermediate -- 7 & 10

Advances -- 10 & 15.

But there's no reason you can't start lower if you need to. Maybe 3 & 5?

I have not done these yet but look forward to it. If these are as good, I'll be quite pleased.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...efinition-5766

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...-training-5756

Also got one more from a different person...

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...less-body-7929

If it helps any, I am moving over from Kim Lyon's where I started at. That has light weights and cardio in the workout. Suggested on that is 2 lb, but I eventually got to 5 lb in each hand for the weights and then 3 lb for the cardio.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...up-series-5742

I've done heavier weights in the past at a gym before child but its been years so I felt like I needed to start slow and build back up and I'm doing it at home now.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-08-2010 at 08:57 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Personally, I like Jackie Warner's DVD's. She has two DVD's out, you can check them out on Amazon.
The one with the purple on the cover is the first one, the blue one is the newer one released end of last year or beginning of this year.
What I like about her DVD's: Each is divided into 3 sections (upper body, lower body, abs). You can either play all three, or only one or two. You can also determine the order. For example - I hate doing legs so I always do lower body first (to have it out of the way).

The weights that you use are entirely up to you. You can start with 2 or 3 lbs (I would go with 5 - JMHO) and increase as you improve. For each exercise, there is one person of the team doing the modified version (one is doing the lighter version and another person is doing a more intense version).
I like Jackie's style very much. She does not waste time chatting (I cannot stand that). Also, I liked that her DVD's don't have any wasted time (or at least it's cut down to the minimum) - you know, the stuff you have to watch but are not interested in every time you play the DVD.
I would recommend the first DVD (purple) over the blue as the individual sections are 20 minutes each. On the blue one, they are 15 minutes each and a bit more advanced. Or, get both and alternate.

Also, check out Krista's site - you can learn a lot of useful stuff there.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote