Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Default for the mommas out there.

Ahhhh im about to lose my mind here. I have yo yo'd a couple times in my life and about 5 years ago went from 205 to 173 and then started to creep back up. I got pregnant at 205 and delivered at 265. I was able to drop alot of weight quickly because a good 30 lbs was fluid (severe pre eclampsia) Anywho i started my wieght loss at 235 i think and im now 186.
But i still feel like I look huge. I was looking at old photos of myself last weightloss pre kid and i look so tiny compared to now. I get discouraged because i feel like everyone who weighs the same as me same height ect. Is so much thinner or wears a smaller size. My stomach is wrecked with stretchmarks and my boobs went from a c to busting out of a dd. Anyone else have this problem? I know your body changes after having kids but Da**it this is discouraging. I feel like I would have to lose another 20 lbs to look like what i used to look like at this weight.
Emmieooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

I have 2 kiddos. I definitely don't wear the same size as others at my weight. (I wear a size 14 comfortably). My belly is finally tightening up by doing Pilates about 3 times a week and aggressively running and spinning. I just printed the 200 situps program out so I am going to start that today. I hear you tho mama - I want my old body back but at the same time - I have 2 beautful babies to give me huggies and they don't care about my fat.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #3  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Hi there -

I have 2 kids as well. You don't mention how old your child is, but if he/she is under 2, I'd say cut yourself some slack. Several of us need time for our bodies to rebound, although I've known the lucky few who leave the hospital in their pre-pg jeans (no kidding).

Also, if you are (or were) breastfeeding, your hormone levels are still high - similar to during PG. It took me 6 months POST breastfeeding before I started to feel like I even had the will to lose any weight. I laugh at all the stories about how BFing helps you to shed pounds - it simply made me hold onto my fat even longer. UGH.

So, I started this weight loss journey when my daughter was 21 months old (Dec 2009), and have lost a little over 50 pounds. The boobage will go down - I guarantee it. I've lost approximately 8" in my chest alone. However, they won't look the same (sorry). My tummy is ruined. I look like I have elephant skin hanging down across my entire lower abdomen. It stinks, but I'm working on a combo of aerobic & strength training exercise to get it back to a point where it doesn't scare small childre . Stretch marks abound - they are permanent. I try not to look at them.

All in all, it sounds pretty dismal for me, but I'd do it all again to have my beautiful children!! These are the battle scars that I EARNED. My body will never look like it did 20 years ago, but my health will be better when I turn 40 next year than when I turned 20. I will teach my kids about positive self body image & healthful living through example. I will NOT let the magazines/Hollywood determine what is and what is not beautiful.

And most of all, I will repeat this daily until I believe it!!!

Congrats on being a mama. Give your body time and be kind & gentle to yourself.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

It's tough watching our bodies change. Unfortunately, bodies change, even if we aren't overweight. Gravity takes hold (I feel like my boobs were probably the perkiest when I was about 16....from then on....downhill, ) and redistribution of fat occurs. Try to hang in there. Even if your body doesn't look like it used to, or like anyone else's your age/size, you ARE working toward a happier and healthier you. Be proud of what you are accomplishing!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote