Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default question for all the nursing moms out there

I have a question and would love some advice from the nursing mommas out there..

let me tell you about an experience I had today.

Today me, my husband, and our 8 year old nephew were out for lunch when a lady lifted up her bra and shirt completely. as she sat with her bra and shirt up for at least I'd say a good minute or minute in a half she was just sorta chit chatting with her friend she was with.. well she finally stood up and got her I'd say 3 year old child out of his high chair and then began nursing him.. but before she got him out she just sat there with her breasts full exposed.. She chatted fro such an amount of time you were just left thinkign why did this lady pull up her shirt and bra...and she was seated directly in front of us.. to the point where the only place you could look was at the ceiling, her.. or the wall..

Now mind you I am very PRO breast feeding when I have my own children I WILL nurse them. I don't even believe you should have to cover up in public or hide in a bathroom somewhere. It totally normal and natural and I encourage. I'm also a nanny and so I'm in front of people who nurse in front of me all the time. I'm not bothered by it in the slightest a boob is a boob..lol

well even after her child was done nursing she stood up did not tuck her self back in yet but stood up got her child back in his high chair then sat her self back down and then adjusted her breasts back into her bra and put her shirt back down.. she the whole time she was standing up her breasts were completely out..

I know my husband isn't offended by breast feeding like I said we have a nephew and we have nieces we've seen them all breast feed. but I could tell he was uncomfortable with the womens breasts totally exposed right in front of us and my nephew whom is 8 so not young and innocent enough to get that boobs are private parts but old enough to get that and feel awkward around it.

I guess my point is I was wondering if some tact should be used while nursing in public.. I sorta felt like saying something but of course I did not want to offend her what she was doing is natural. but I just felt like maybe she could grabbed her child got him into position. then lifted her shirt and bra and had him latch on right away.. to minimize amount of time exposed? or perhaps given that the child was 3 years old and drinking out a sippy cup just fine and wasn't crying or didn't seem to be in need of comforting at the time perhaps she could have waited to nurse him?Am I just being a prudish American?
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #2  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I would say that the mom forgot she wasn't in her own home? seriously this is not done, in public being discreet is the best way to further the cause of breastfeeding. What she did seems to be totally exhibitionist in nature.

I nursed my 3 babies for a very long time, I did it so as to not make others feel uncomfortable but still take care of my children. It can be done.
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #3  

thats exactly how I felt too.I'm glad I wasn't just being prudish.. lol... me and my hubby are going to start trying to conceive in a year.. I know I will nurse in public but I'm certain I will be discreet as possible..
Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #4  
dougs wife sarahs mommy

S/C/G: 210/194/165

Height: 5'6

comepletely unnecessary behavior by her. ive seen that before in starbucks and it was embarressing. i have nursed at a tabe and noone saw a thng, behaviour like that is more for show than anything imho
jenatgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #5  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I have to agree with the above post. The sad thing is.....it is people and incidences like this that give the "BAD" name and image to such a beautiful and natural thing. It can and should be done discreetly(IMHO) but not in shame or hiding in the bathroom or car.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #6  

thank you ladies! Some times because I don't have children yet I feel like maybe I just don't "get it" from a moms point of view. But to hear from other who have nursed and also think it was a bit extreme makes me think I'm not such a prude after all..

I think she used nursing as an excuse just to be showy, because under any other normal circumstances having your breasts out and about fully exposed just wouldn't be acceptable
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

i personally have already bought one of those breastfeeding cover ups. im all for breastfeeding in public but cover up!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #8  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

eh, it's just a boob. i don't know why she did it, but men show their breasts in public all the time and no one gets all uptight about it.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I would cover personally but I would not be bothered by women who do not.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #10  

I have decided I will cover up as well. Because for my own comfort I really don't care to have any one other then my husband my child who would be nursing or some one who needs to seeing my breasts.. But I'm just a very modest person I'm not offended by people who don't choose to cover up but I do think discretion should be used if you choose not to like maybe have your shirt cover what the babies face is not.. or like I said get baby into position and have it latch on on right away so at least your nipples arent on display fro every one..lol the rest is just cleavage..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #11  

Could you tell if she was from another country? Oftentimes, people from other countries are far, far more open about this than we are.

And really, though, they're just breasts. I'd be far more offended by someone with awful table manners in a restaurant than a pair of boobs hanging out.

But FWIW, my son will be 3 in May and he is still breastfed. We are very, very discreet and I usually only allow him to nurse at home at this point. I'm discreet ( I have a cover and always wear a nursing tank under my shirt so no one can see my tummy) but I think it's cool when other moms don't bother to cover up- they have a lot more self-confidence than I do.

First and foremost, breasts are a way to feed our children and we shouldn't be ashamed of that.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #12  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

When I was breastfeeding (I breastfed 3 - one until he was 4, one until she was 2, and the third until he was 3 and a half) I was far more concerned abotu people seeing my stomach than my breasts . It was impossible for me to nurse under a blanket or cover - my kids didn't like them, and I can't say I blamed them. I also can't tell you how many times i forgot to pull my shirt back down when I was done (I would remember the bra, though! So that's something! I swear my kids sucked my brains out through my breastmilk!).
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #13  
Here I come skinny jeans!

S/C/G: 225/Ticker/135

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
When I was breastfeeding (I breastfed 3 - one until he was 4, one until she was 2, and the third until he was 3 and a half) I was far more concerned abotu people seeing my stomach than my breasts . It was impossible for me to nurse under a blanket or cover - my kids didn't like them, and I can't say I blamed them. I also can't tell you how many times i forgot to pull my shirt back down when I was done (I would remember the bra, though! So that's something! I swear my kids sucked my brains out through my breastmilk!).
Same here exactly! I'm guessing she probably forgot where she was. DS1 would NOT nurse covered up and DS2 is the same way.
Just thought I'd toss out there that not all babies will stand to be covered.

Last edited by MeganBeth; 02-19-2010 at 02:07 PM.
MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I personally try to not expose as much as possible but I have no issues with others being more open. though that woman took being open to a whole other extreme. LOL
I could never get used to nursing bras, just way too many steps. I've worn "fruit of the loom" sport bras. When baby/toddler is done I just quickly bring the bra back into position and fix my shirt before moving baby. I've only refused to nurse one child in public (ds1) because he insisted on being upright as soon as he was done or he would throw fit, so to prevent being exposed I would nurse him in my van or leave the room. Cover-ups never worked with any of my children, they would rip it off or mess with it while nursing. LOL

Last edited by mom4life; 02-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote