Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Default Starting over and deployed

Hello all!
I'm back to WW for the final time! I figured this is really the only way of eating that I can agree to follow the rest of my life and do anywhere. I am currently deployed to the middle east and can only eat at a cafeteria But, here's what I started with today (and luckily they put the calories on most things, but I forgot to bring a tracker here with me..bummer)

breakfast:
special k w/berries cereal
soy milk
coffee w/three containers of coffee mate
canteloup

lunch:
grilled chicken
lettuce
carrots
f/f dressing
grapes
apple
chocolate soy milk

snack:
lollipop

The hardest part is adding in any oil they might use to cook things, and I will be on 12 hr shifts so it's going to be hard to monitor my eating. Any tips?? Haha. But, I have to walk about .5 mile each way to eat and I've been going to they gym, so that should help. Wish me luck! Thanks!
Oriana
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

The choices you have made already sound pretty good.

What kind of fresh fruit or veggies are available? Is there a salad bar you can choose from, or do they assemble the salad for you? It sounds like a similar problem as in university school cafeteria. Is there a "grill" option where they grill hamburgers and maybe chicken for you, or is that all pre-made? How about fish?

Also, are you allowed to take things out for snacks? You could take an apple along (or if you get ahold of a tupperware type container, other stuff) for in between snacks so you don't end up really hungry in the cafeteria at mealtimes.

(I'm in the ME too, but I work in a university.)
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovwgirl View Post
Wish me luck! Thanks!
Oriana
I will wish you luck, and thank *you.*
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Yeah, they have a salad bar and fresh fruit, plus a "healthy" bar. It just sucks eating the same thing every day...yuck! But I did pretty good today. I'm just a bit worried about the 12 hrs of flying I have tomorrow, but I'm bringing healthy food so I'm gonna try my best. Thanks!!
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Yes, that's what I was worried about, the salad bar only can get boring. If you control the portions, maybe you can switch in some other things from the regular sections. If they serve you up more than you want, be strong! Divide it in half or even thirds and say, that part is NOT for me. Try to stay away from fried things or covered in cheese altogether if you can.

Don't forget beans and chickpeas can provide you good protein and have fiber. There should be something there providing for vegetarians and also halal (Muslim), you might have to ask. If there is a "local" food provision, a lot of those traditional Middle Eastern foods are whole grain or bean/dried pea based, and pretty low calorie if you watch out for things fried in oil. Or if "Mexican" is offered, beans, tomatoes and lettuce wrapped in a tortilla (no or very small amount of cheese, same for rice).

Good luck, remember we're all thinking about you!
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote