General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default Prism Weight loss plan??

Hello,

I am on the Prism weight loss program. I was on it before in 2000 but I stopped after I lost about 50lbs and figured I could do it on my own well, I can't do it on my own I really need the support. I just started on 9/9/02 again and my weight is 216lbs. I want to get to 140-150lbs I am 5'5" Age 31, Married and I have a 3 1/2 year old little girl. Because of my work schedule I can't attend the meetings at my church. I would love to hear from other people on the plan and start a group on the web for emails and support. If you are interested please send me an email
[email protected]

Thanks
Brenda
Old 09-13-2002, 11:44 AM   #2  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default How do you do it

Hi

I am very curious about this plan, what is it all about? I have been looking at there website for quite sometime and it looks very good. Please give me some info and I would love to do this with you.

Kim
Old 09-13-2002, 05:30 PM   #3  

The plan works this way.
You can eat 1000-1200 callories a day.
Eat all fruits and veggies except potatoes keep track of calories.
Grains & Cereals
*no more than 1 cup of any whole grain, sugar free hot cooked cereal per day
*No more than 1 serving of any whole grain sugar free cold cereal per day(Cherrios are O.K)
*No more than 1 cup of rice per day(preferably brown but I eat white)
*No more than 2 large 3" unflavored rice cakes per day
Milk & Dairy
All choices in this group- ex. Milk, buttermilk,sugar free yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese(lowfat or nontfat recommended)
ICE CREAM, PUDDINGS,CUSTARDS & FROZEN YOGURTS OR DESSERTS OF ANY KIND ARE NOT ALLOWED
Protein
*All lean meats, fish and poultry, plus all beans, legumes, eggs and all natural, no sugar added peanut butter

THE FOLLOWING FOODS ARE NOT ALLOWED
ALL CRACKERS, CHIPES ROLLS, BREADS, POPCORN, WHITE FLOUR PRODUCTS, TORTILLAS, SNACK FOODS, PASTAS
I hope this helps let me know if I can help at all
Thanks
Brenda
Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 AM   #4  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Hi

Hi Brenda,

How is it going?

I have a question, are we allowed cheese (brick like chedder)?

THanks

Kim
Old 09-18-2002, 09:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
The Prism system seems to be lacking in one large way-the calories are way too low. It was stated you could eat between 1000-1200. 1200 is the absolute LOWEST you should be eating per day. Any lower than that and you will be slowing down your metabolism, or the rate that your body burns calories, because your body will think it is starving and will begin to conserve energy. A better goal would be to eat between 1200-1400 instead. Eating 1000-1200 would cause you to lose quicker the first couple weeks, but when your body goes into starvation mode, it will slow down, and it will actually be harder to lose it after that-and to keep it off.
As far as the breads/cereals starches restrictions, I beleve the reason for this is that a lot of calorie counters will tend to eat mostly starches, and not enough meat and produce, and most of us tend to gravitate towards simple carbs, like white bread, biscuits and rolls, donuts, white rice, etc. These foods cause a rush in blood sugar levels and you are hungry sooner than you would be if you ate whole grain starches, like Frosted Mini Wheats, whole wheat bread, or oatmeal-which stay in your system longer and keep blood levels more even.
You also need to be sure to get in your daily exercise-you can start out mild, like 20-30 minutes of walking-and work up from there. Eating healthy is only half of the battle-you need to exercise to firm up, speed up your metabolism so you burn calories more quickly, and have a healthy body. Do what you like to do-walking, aerobics, jogging-even more unconventional things such as line dancing-as long as you are moving!
I hope this helps you out a bit!
Aphil
Closed Thread