Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default Calorie Counter Friendly Bean Recipe

I'm in search of a tasty bean recipe (can be a bean salad) that is calorie counter friendly (aka, no more sitting there trying to figure out how much of zyx was put into it).

Anyone?
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

My favorite is a salad with black beans, tomato and corn. I think it's fine by itself with a little salt and pepper, but you can add a viniagrette dressing.

I also put black beans and salsa on top of roasted sweet potato.

And then there's white beans; I add them to a soup with pasta, ground chicken and tomato sauce, and in a salad with tuna, tomato and a little vinegar.

And of course black beans or non-fat refried beans on a tortilla.

Those are all easy because you can just calculate the calories of the beans and other ingredients, and then divide by the serving size if you are making more than one portion. A half cup black beans (canned) = 100 cal. And 8 grams fiber! Half cup white beans = 127 cal. and 9.3 gr fiber.

Technically not beans, but you can also cook yellow peas or lentils, as well as white beans, and puree them with a little garlic and oil for a dip/sandwich filler that is like hummus. (I actually like it better than hummus.) In Greece this is called "faba". There is a good recipe here: Faba recipe

The recipe calls for a half cup olive oil, but I just soften the onions and garlic in about one tablespoon and I find that enough. I like a milder version without so much vinegar, and squeeze a little lemon juice on the top at the end. Keep track of the cups of dry peas you use and that will be the basis of the calories, along with the olive oil. A half cup onion and garlic is only about 40 cal. The cooked peas expand and can make a LOT so keep that in mind.

You can also put canned beans on top of pretty much any salad for a little extra protein/fiber. Beans seem to go well with vinegar-oil dressings, I think.

I use both canned beans and dry cooked beans, the dry beans are cheaper and sometimes the store here doesn't have canned black beans on the shelf.

Last edited by bronzeager; 04-18-2010 at 01:24 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #3  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

^^ Thank you!

I've been looking for some vegetarian options for protein and beans just seem like a natural alternative! (I'm going through a "I don't even want to look at another piece of chicken that needs to be cleaned, much less eat it." phase)

The first "recipe" with corn and tomatoes will fit great into my meal plan!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

It's not vegetarian, but I just use the pasta jambalaya recipe on this site and ditch the pasta, I LOVE it and am in fact making it tonight. Here's my version this is 3 servings and the cals as I've calced them with my ingrediants

7oz turkey sausage (kielbasa)
1 can of black beans (no salt)
1 can of stewed tomoatoes (no salt)
1/2 c onion
1 red pepper
1 clove galic
1 tsp cajun seasoning

cals 275, you can add some FF cheese to it to if you wanted to.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote