Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Default I didn't realize how hard this is going to be.

Today, I want to seriously start on my way to being fit, and healthy. As far as exercise goes, my boyfriend suggested I start with something easy. 3 sets of push ups, and 3 of sit-ups. I was fine doing my wall-push-ups, but when I got to my sit ups, it was awful, I can't believe how much I struggled. I didn't think I was THIS out of shape. I hope I can do this. :/
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #2  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

You CAN do this! Don't just hope, make it a reality. There is no shame in trying to make yourself better and get in better shape, so don't let yourself get down because of where you are right now (health-wise and fitness wise etc) picture where you want to be, and let that motivate you to keep going! In my opinion, getting started is the HARDEST part of a weight loss journey. You just have to trust the process and take it day by day because it takes a bit to start seeing results so you have to go by how you feel which is also a good standard. I know it seems so overwhelming right now, you feel like your are soooo far away from where you want to be. Here's a quote I found in the beginning of my journey that really helped me:

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Here's a tip that really helped me get started, maybe it will work for you too?

I set tiny mini-goals that I could work to like my first one was I wanted to exercise every day and eat right every day for 2 weeks. At the end of those 2 weeks I would treat myself to a haircut (that I desperately needed ) and I would buy some nice conditioner as well. For the next 2 weeks, I focused on only how badly I wanted that darn haircut! The 15 pounds that I dropped were just a major bonus! After those 2 weeks I set another 2 week goal. This can be anything that would be a treat for you that is not food. (pedicure, massage, manicure, new workout clothes, makeup, shoes, a new kitchen appliance to help with your new healthy eating habits, etc.)

You are not in this alone. Check back here at 3fc often for tons of support and advice. Just keep pushing through!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

It can be difficult, but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that you must eat perfectly on plan and be able to effortlessly run through all your exercises on Day 1, else you're a failure! That is a huge, huge trap and one that causes many chicks to post here for a week or two and then fade away, because they feel like it cannot be done.

It can be done. I'm not at goal yet and I started 16 months ago. I have been maintaining for about 5-6 months despite having more to lose. Do I wish I was doing better? Yeah, I do. But I'm doing OK and right now, that's enough for me. I've still lost 50 pounds and that's light-years better than where I was when I started.

Maybe it will help to start with baby steps. These are the steps I took, for example, and I ramped up over the course of several months. I waited till I got in the groove with one step till I started the next.

1. Stopped eating out at lunch and packed my lunch instead.

2. Stopped buying junk food....no chips, no candy from the machine. No cookies from the grocery store, no tubs of ice cream (I did allow Skinny Cow ice cream). Also started counting (logging) calories at this point.

3. After 5-6 weeks of diet change, I bought an elliptical machine and started using it. I think I was able to go 6 minutes the first night and I thought I was gonna die. But we all have to start someplace, right? I started tracking it on a spreadsheet so I could see my increased progress.
4. When the weather got better (April), I started walking 2 miles a night. Then 3. Then 4.

5. Started Couch to 5K in May or June. It was on again, off again due to asthma. Again, if my asthma was bad, I would load up on inhalers and switch to walking or using the elliptical instead of running.

It's a process, or at least it is for me. There are many chicks here who dive right in to exercise, changing their diet, and all that right off the bat. Many of them do great and I admire them for it, because they're slim and I'm still not! But what works for me is to make small changes. I didn't feel ready to exercise when I was at my heaviest, but I sure didn't mind substituting a fat, juicy orange for a bag of chips. So that's the way I did it. One step at a time, one change at a time. And guess what...I still can't do a single push-up, so you're already WAY ahead of me there!

Last edited by Windchime; 04-05-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #4  

Thank you, both very much for your words of encouragement.

EveLHaelf, thanks for posting that quote. I've never heard it before, and I love it. I even wrote it down on a piece of paper, and stuck it on the wall next to my bed so I'll see it before bed, and when I wake up. I also really like the idea of the mini goals. It does make a lot more sense to look at things a little bit at a time, rather than, when I lose all the weight that I want, I'll get to buy all new clothes. That's a long way away, so it'll be nice to have a treat for myself to look forward to every few weeks.

Windchime,

What you say does make a lot of sense. I guess to tell you the truth, I'm one of those people that like to be good at everything they do. I get upset when I'm not, but this is something that I can't push myself too hard, or I could cause damage to my health, and I definitely don't want to do that. My first step is starting off at least with the exercises I did this morning. Even if I have to do them slowly, it's better than nothing. I also plan to cut out all soda. I drink way too much of it.

I felt good today. During my breaks between classes, instead of heading to the computer lab, like I usually do on Mondays, I took a walk in the nearby woods. It was beautiful out, and I felt good that I got a bit of exercise. Must've been a sight though. Me in my flowery dress, walking through the dirt, and branches (lol.)

But really, thank you guys. I appreciate your advice so much, and I'll definitely be putting it into play.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Don't expect to do everything right away. DO expect to do it incrementally. There's a fine line between challenging and impossible...and if you set goals you can reach, then nothing is impossible. Did you do one sit up? That's 1/3 of the way to three. Keep doing one if you have to until you can do it easily, then try for two. I think even I could do one. I know I can't do 3. Also, for now I am doing the things I know I can already succeed at doing. I started 6 weeks ago with a walk around 1 block. And I thought I would die. Eventually, I could go around 2. One day, I felt good enough that I walked a mile around the lake. I mostly bicycle, because it is easier on my back but I'd like to be able to go on hikes. So I'm working up to it. I got an exercise video for walking inside the house. I am able to do the warm up and the one mile walk. Today, I rode my bicycle 8 miles. I didn't start out that way. More like 1-2 an dhuffing and puffing the whole way.
\If I can do it, YOU can do it. Find somethng you like...you mentioned walking in the woods. Add a little more distance just a bit at a time and pretty soon, you will be walking a mile and then 2 and so on...and enjoying yourself. Exercise doesn't have to be the traditional way at the gym.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

When I started on this journey, I was so unbelievably out of shape that I didn't even know where to begin. Way back when, I was pretty athletic-- but when I would try stuff, like sit ups, I couldn't do ANY... and then I thought it was hopeless, because, I mean how do you get in shape when you are so out of shape that it seems impossible to exercise.

I actually decided to start with food first. I set a calorie target and stuck to it. When I added exercise, I started with swimming, because I'm a good swimmer and because I didn't have to get all red in the face and huff and puff.

I stuck with swimming for the first six months or so, and then finally I felt like I was in good enough shape to try something else. Now, I'm running, and I even started lifting and got a personal trainer.

It AMAZES me that now I can do crunches and run and do a lot of things that I thought I would never ever be able to do again-- I'm not super fit, and I've still got a lot of weight to lose-- but the difference is astonishing.

I'm 48 years old and had been very out of shape for at least fifteen years-- a total couch potato for at least ten. I find it really encouraging how quick our bodies actually do respond.

Pick something you can do and feel comfortable doing and start there-- maybe walking is a good choice-- and then you can build incrementally from there.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #7  

lostinstaticx -- you CAN do this... Start slowly... are you doing full sit-ups or crunches, I find crunches much easier, to start... Full push-ups are very hard on the back and are really not recommended... You should also start walking for cardio and burn fat... Good luck and keep us posted on your progress... Good luck
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #8  

angelskeep,

Congratulations on upping your exercise tolerance level. That's wonderful!

Thank you for your advice, I definitely get what you're saying. I've decided to take things slow. I'm not sure what it was, but this morning I was able to do 10 sit ups without resting! I did struggle somewhat, and the last 5, were tough, but I did it and I felt great after. Then I went and had myself a nice healthy breakfast. I can do this.

Ubergirl,

I'm glad that you're now able to perform exercises that you never thought you would be able to. Doesn't that feel wonderful? I agree with your idea on swimming. I'm looking forward to getting our pool ready this summer. I love swimming, and it's great exercise. Thank you for the tips.

Ilene,
Today when I did the situps, I felt a lot better. I stretched a bit more, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but it was easier than yesterday. As far as pushups go, I'm doing them against the wall as opposed to full on floor push ups. It feels easier, and more doable.

Thank you all!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #9  

lostinstaticx -- As the push ups get easier, start doing them on stairs and going down the stairs as you get fitter, then on your knees on the floor...

Congrats on doing better today, already you're seeing an improvement and that's what counts...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #10  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 200/198/145

Height: 5'4

Every day counts and is needed to build up to your max potential. Stick it out and keep it up! You can DO it!!!
trafficjambooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #11  

Thank you all for your advice!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

lost-I am so happy for you! I can't do 10 sit ups I'm sure. Even with a tow truck encouraging me.

Going slowly, building little by little is the perfect way to get going.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #13  

thank you.

i don't know if this is cheating or not, but at the moment i'm doing my sit-ups on my bed. i have back pain, and it makes it ore bearable.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/238/175

Height: 5'9"

Lost, baby steps dear baby steps! YOU CAN DO IT!
mmiller2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller2829 View Post
Lost, baby steps dear baby steps! YOU CAN DO IT!
Ditto ... Hang in there you can do this...