Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Snack/Food Suggestions for a long car trip

After being here in New York for almost 2 years, my boyfriend is FINALLY taking me back to Tennessee so I can get the rest of my belongings out of storage (he put in for a week of vacation starting April 14th). This will be an 1800+ mile trip in a car. We will be stopping once on the way there for sleep and once on the way back. What I am needing is suggestions/advice for snacks/foods that are healthy(ish), easy to eat and/or prepare (in a car, lol), that won't get soggy, stale or rotten on us.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

I just did this exact trip this weekend! I went from New York City to Nashville TN...Have done it before will do it again (I am moving to Nashville). I am not sure how much prep you are willing to do...but I took yogurts (fage 2%) in a cooler along with low fat string cheese...(really whatever you want to take that needs to be refrigerated is ok...bc my ice lasted beyond 8 hrs and you can change it at a gas station). I also took a box of atkins bars...but if you have a favorite type of protein bar you should take it along. Have fun, and I hope that helped!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

Thanks so much
Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #4  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I usually pack two small coolers. One that stays in the car and one to bring into the hotel room. (I hate bringing heavy coolers up the stairs - maybe once I get to goal, it won't be so bad! ) Also, I put the food in a gallon zip lock bag so it doesn't get exposed to the ice as it melts. I put fruits that don't have pits or skins like grapes and berries, string cheese, whole grain crackers, yogurt squeezie tubes and bottled water in the car cooler. In the motel cooler, I usually just put water or diet soda in the small bottles. (I can't give up my morning diet coke!) When we stop for gas, I try to find the ones that have a Subway in them so we can have a sandwich and then just eat the snacks as we travel. Breakfast is always hard. If you're lucky the gas station will have those individual portion cereal bowls that you can pour a pint of milk in. Not easy to drive with, but you can eat it before you get going. Mostly, I find on the trip if I can keep myself interested in something else, it helps a lot! I get bored sitting there beside a big bag of food and just want to eat. Bring along some CDs or a book. Books on tape are nice so the passenger and driver can both engage. You can get them from the library. My husband and I play games in the car even if the kids aren't along (although the topics can be more creative! ) like "I'm thinking of an animal, item, place, etc." (a variation of 20 questions) or "the alphabet game" (you find a letter A and then a B, etc. - not good in rural areas).

I love car trips. It's such a great way to spend time with someone without TV, internet or cell phone distractions. DH and I always joke that if we drive long enough we get divorced and married again all in one trip. It brings out all of those things you want to say, you fight it out and resolve it. You're stuck together for next so many hours.

Have fun!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

A cooler filled with:
cheese sticks
yogurt cups
applesauce
low sodium sandwich meats
carrot sticks
celery
LOTS of fruit

I'd also take low calorie granola bars, preportioned bags of cereal, rice cakes etc.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 440/193/170

Height: 5'11"

I have taken veggie sticks, yogurts, and individual sized cans of tuna for protein (with the easy pull off tops). But I also like the idea of eating before you go and when you stop (i.e. Subway or something you have packed). For me, I used to spend road trips doing nothing but eating in the car (potato chips, candy, chocolate, soda, etc, etc). So now that is gone, I am not a big eater in the car. But 1800+ miles is a loong one, so I can see wanting healthy options.
joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

Thanks for the tips and suggestions y'all ♥
Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I would also add Kind bars, pumpkin seeds, and pistachios (in the shell - half a cup in a sandwich baggie, another baggie for shells). And a lot of water bottles.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

Thanks calluna!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Apples, baby carrots, air popped popcorn, lots of water. A couple gallon freezer bags of chipped ice and a travel mug or plastic cup (chipped ice is great for "snacking" on).

Have a safe trip, and have fun.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

Thanks CC!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

I love mini rice cakes in the car!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

Thank you
Old 04-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I take a 1000 mile drive every summer and actually I've started to be more like Joanie. I pack meals rather than snacks-- it's easy to over snack in a car since a lot of the eating tends to be eating from boredom.

A few other suggestions for foods that carry easily:

hard-boiled eggs
individual portions of nuts/almonds-- (but of course, you have to watch these...)
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

Thanks ubergirl