Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Default Help with walking (blisters)

For those of you who have had blisters due to walking and/or running, what do you do about them? I have a small blister-thing (it's not swollen or any fluid, just like the skin is a little open) kind of between two of my toes. It hurts when I walk. What can I do about it? Is there anything I can do to keep up my walking while it heals? So far I've been doing strength training and boxing to stay on track, but I really want to get back to the treadmill. Help!
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #2  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Between your toes? I have a feeling that isn't a blister, but maybe athlete's foot. Keep your feet dry as much as you can, apply an anti-fungal cream and wear flip flops in the shower for a few weeks. It should clear up. Also, try to wear cotton socks when you exercise so the skin can breathe and release moisture. Anytime moisture isn't allowed to evaporate, fungal infections can happen easily.

When I get friction blisters from walking/running, they are typically on the back of my heel or at the outside base of my big toe (bunion locations). New shoes and improperly fitted shoes can be the cause. I usually bandage the area and try to walk regardless if I can. Ultimately blisters will toughen up the skin in the area that's being subjected to friction and you won't get them as often. You might want to "save" that areas prone to blisters when you do a pedi. The natural callous will help prevent future blisters. Also, it is best not to pop the blister. If it does, treat it with anti-bacterial ointment and bandage it. Also it wouldn't hurt to go into a fitness shoe specialty store and have your feet/shoes evaluated for proper fit.

Last edited by BeachBreeze2010; 03-17-2010 at 04:03 PM.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Might be a little chafe or pre-blister Trying to find shoes that give you enough toe room may help but sometimes the toes just line up funny. I have toes that overlap so I sometimes get between the toe blistering, but not often.

Immediate solution: Before every run/walk treat areas prone to irritation with blistershield, sportsshield, bodyglide or vaseline.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #4  
Sarah

Maybe you should switch socks/sneakers. I think helping the skin breathe might be a good idea..
buzybee188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, you're bringing back memories. I remember when I was walking an hour every day & for a time, I ended up with bloody socks after every walk from irritating existing blisters. (It was during this period that I started alternating with bouts on a stationary bike. Then I rubbed sores on my butt, too, so I was one of the walking wounded.)

One thing that helped me: I looked up different ways to lace my sneakers. My foot is relatively narrow in the heel compared with the front, and the backs of my sneakers are always loose, even in shoes with a good fit, leaving me prone to blisters. I learned a different lacing pattern that really helped with this.

I also learned to tape up my feet. On existing blisters, it helped to cover the area with adhesive moleskin, with a hole cut out where the blister had formed. (These pieces looked like little art projects when I was cutting them out from a sheet of moleskin.) After the blister popped, I also tried spaying Nu-Skin (I think that was the name), the stuff that forms a protective film over the sore.

Last edited by saef; 03-17-2010 at 07:25 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

LOL. It's not athlete's foot. It's a tender spot where two of my toes kind of rub together and I caught it before the blister fully formed. Thanks for all of the advice. I tried Vaseline and that worked a bit. I bought the moleskin and, for some reason, it wouldn't stay on. I think I'll switch the type of socks I wear and try the Bodyglide. I've heard that recommended quite a few times.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote