Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219.5/see ticker/168

Height: 5'7"

Default To Break or not to Break???

For those of you who have taken a break from the program - do you think it helped your motivation or hurt you in the long run? My 17 weeks is up on 3/4/10. My goal set was a lot lower than what I really need to get to - but at the time it was the program I could afford. Even meeting my goal - I know I want to lose at least 20 lbs more. I am tossing the idea around about going through stabilization and then working the last 20 lbs on my own after that. I fell a bit sluggish right now and even though I have had amazing results this last few weeks (with new clothes and inches lost) I am tired of counting my water bottles all day long and constantly focusing on the next meal - just thought I might benefit from a short break from the strictness...any insight would be appreciated.
leigh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210.5/160/130

Height: 5'3"

When i feel this way, I take the weekend off. I did this last weekend, I didn't go completely overboard on anything. i actually can't eat as much as i used to, but i did drink and have dessert and more carbs that usual. Well i gained 6lbs when i weighed myself monday...not only that, but i felt completely disgusting. but sometimes you just need to eat normal. also, there was just a thread about how someone went off for a short time and gained all of their weight back. thats my worst fear! its taken so long to lose.
skinnyby25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3  

Oh I agree - that is my fear too. I'm not looking to go completely off-program, just relax some...not be so hard on myself for having a piece of cake at my son's birthday but also not be worried about losing during this time, just maintaining. Hoping some words of wisdom will help shed some light on if it is possible.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Define what you mean by a short break? My problem, from past experience, in taking too long a break is that all the old habits come back real fast. I started MRC on 12/27 and have lost 19 pounds as of today. Valentine's Day was my first day going off program. My husband and I went out to dinner on the 13th - less crowded - and I had lobster, a roll with butter and 2 dirty martini's. Later that night I had a handful of cashews and a handful of mini tootsie rolls. The next day I felt great and went on my own version of Meta-quick for two days and then weighed in today and was down 2 pounds. I didn't want to weigh in right after my night off so knowing I would be weighing in today kept me on meta-quick. I agree with skinnyby25; I wouldn't go off for more than a week-end.

You know yourself better than we do. What has happened in the past when you took a break? I don't know about you but this diet has really gotten my cravings under control. What I had the night I went off is nothing compared to what I would have eatten in the past. Let us know what you decide. Planning ahead really helps too.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/199/160

Height: 5'6

Do you have to go back to the metaquick plan if you go off plan for a couple of days? I have been hearing different things.
gerdes9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

I don't know, that was something I just felt I needed to do to get back on track.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #7  
MRC works for me

S/C/G: 219/180.5/150

Height: 5'1"

My contract is up March 12. I still have 35 lbs to go til my "goal" weight, but would like to lose more just don't know if that is realistic. I have been pondering not re-signing and still staying with the green menu until I am closer to 150 lbs. Then re-sign maybe my last 10 to 15 lbs and go into stablization and maintenance from there. Don't think I would miss my visits to my center - they are not that inspiring.... Any words of wisdom ?
UknowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #8  

UknowMe -

That is where I am. My MRC goal is different than my personal goal. I know I don't want to resign...I just can't afford it. Completing the program as I signed with MRC is my major goal right now. I was hoping to make my goal by 3/5 and go through stabilization with my center. Then go back on green menu myself and work on my last 20 lbs personally. Just looking for advice, tips and secrets from those who have left the program - I sure don't want to gain it all back again.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #9  

my contract is going to be up at the end of the month, but they haven't said anything about it. i did go off this past weekend, drank and ate some good food. after two days of it i feel so disgusting, plus its that tom. feeling this gross just makes me want to eat healthy. i have never had such a bad stomach ache as i did the other night. so as of today i am going to be back on, i was up 5lbs. i have a wedding to go to next month. i have 4.5 weeks and i want to get down atleast 10lbs. i can't wait to be in the 160s!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

FYI- you will definitely gain some of the weight back, if you go off program--even for a week.
The initial "whoosh" of water weight you lose in the first week or two of the program, yo will DEFINITELY put back on, no matter what, no matter when you stop, take a break, reach goal, whatever. As soon as you allow carbs back your muscles will fill back up with glycogen and the WATER weight will come back. This is your true weight. When someone says they gained 5 pounds over the weekend by eating off-plan...that was the water weight they prob initially lost (or at least some of it). COUNT ON IT. DONT FREAK ABOUT IT.

You have to remember your body doesnt know how to handle carbs anymore. you WILL quickly gain back REAL weight if you take too long of a break, and during the break eat like a normal person. Sorry.....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #11  

mkroyer -

Thanks for the info. I am not really going to "jump off the bandwagon". I do plan to continue to make smart choices and not go back to eating the way I had been...I know carbs will do me wrong! haha I guess I'm looking to see for those who are doing this on their own, what have been some of your motivations, tips and holdups?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by UknowMe View Post
My contract is up March 12. I still have 35 lbs to go til my "goal" weight, but would like to lose more just don't know if that is realistic. I have been pondering not re-signing and still staying with the green menu until I am closer to 150 lbs. Then re-sign maybe my last 10 to 15 lbs and go into stablization and maintenance from there. Don't think I would miss my visits to my center - they are not that inspiring.... Any words of wisdom ?
i've thought about that too. going to the center doesn't motivate me one bit. i have a digital scale at home and seeing that number is what does it for me. plus, i ppl on this forum have more tips that any consultant has given me.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 242/169/166

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh34 View Post
UknowMe -

That is where I am. My MRC goal is different than my personal goal. I know I don't want to resign...I just can't afford it. Completing the program as I signed with MRC is my major goal right now. I was hoping to make my goal by 3/5 and go through stabilization with my center. Then go back on green menu myself and work on my last 20 lbs personally. Just looking for advice, tips and secrets from those who have left the program - I sure don't want to gain it all back again.

My opinion would be to go through stabilization if you can and try to learn that part of the program and apply it. If you wish to continue afterwards you will have all the tools to help you continue your success. For me I would not want to quit or break from the program for fear that I would fall off track and never get to stabilization. You've done a great job so far. I get the feeling that lots of us struggle when we are 20 or so lbs away. I know I've had a harder time lately also. I just don't want to allow myself to stop now as I want to have the tools to help me with maintaining post program.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #14  
MRC works for me

Skinnyby25
I do the same thing - weigh myself first thing every morning and write that weight on a calender in my bathroom. I see it and it motivates me when I have losted or gained. I have been yo-yoing for over a month in the 180s. I believe being stuck is what has made me question if I would re-sign with my center. Ultimately, this journey is up to me. If I notice I am losing ground, I will be in the office to re-sign. I do know I want to go to them for stabilization and maintenance. So many of the people here have said that was their downfall for gaining all the weight back and more.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #15  
MRC works for me

Leigh34
I am wondering if on March 5, whatever your weight, you can ask them to let you do stabilization. I think that is 4 to 6 weeks, but you will at least learn what to do and see if you can maintain your current weight while adding foods back in. I think it would be worth asking about. If I were as close to the goal weight they set for me as you are, I would continue with the center. As I said in the previous post to Skinnyby25, not going through stabilization and some maintenance was what has made many gain all their wieght back. I know, just as you do, that is the very last thing we want after working so hard and for so long.