Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:41 AM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Question When is your willpower the weakest?

Willpower. The great force that causes me to make a healthy choice. Lately, I've had more of it than I ever have had before. But I have my downfalls....

I love weekends.... weakends...
I've been known to sit at the beach with a good book, a pitcher of margaritas, and a chunk of brie the size of my head. When monday rolls around, I'm bummed out that I didn't think twice about having 4 deviled eggs, the fried chicken, or that huge scoop of Ben & Jerry's.

I also HATE boredom.
Boredom to me is like my brain constantly taunting me, "C'mon, you're bored, I'm bored. You know what's not boring? FOOD!"

Since the war with willpower is tough, I'm asking my army of willpower warriors:

When is your willpower the weakest and what have you done to combat it?
Old 08-20-2002, 01:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

I am weakest, when bored and on the weekends, also.

During the week I have a routine. But when I'm in the house all day, I can't seem to control it. Even with the 30 day challenge I do not do well on the weekends or when I am on vacation. I went to Reno last week and was really not looking forward to it, because I knew I would blow it the whole time I was there. I weighed in on Saturday and the scale said I gained 5 pounds!! . But today, it's back to where it was BEFORE I left. I'm thinking that 2 other factors may have played a role in the 5 lbs gain. 1) it was TOM and 2) I hadn't drank enough water. I could be wrong about the water thing, but I think TOM could have been a major factor, because there is no way I could have lost 5 pounds in a matter of 2 days.

I try to get out of my house on the weekends and take the kids somewhere. Which also battles the boredom.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #3  

My willpower is weakest when things go nutsy and I begin to think I should reward myself for having to put up with all the dumb stuff. today was one of those days and guess what? I'm fine. I think all you losers are helping me get through the LIFE stuff and not feel so bummed about it. Also knowing tomorrow is weigh in and I don't want to be bummed tomorrow is keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Other weak time is social eating. I'm trying to learn I can have a good time and not try everything in sight. Well really, TRYING would probably be all right if I just tried a BIT but I still have to work on that portion control thing.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Well, my willpower is pretty weak when I'm under a lot of stress. Last year was my first year teaching, and I had a REALLY tough group of fifth graders. I would "handle" my stress every day by stopping off for large chocolate chip shakes at Sonic, or for Quarter-Pounder Extra Value Meals (supersized, of course!). I gained forty pounds from August 2001 - March 2002 (when I went on WW.)

I also find my willpower tanks when someone has hurt my feelings or shut me out. I always want ice cream when that happens. It's all about using food as comfort.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Default STRESS EATER, HERE!!!

and here i thought i'd sort of managed to get it under control. HAH!!!!

but with the surgery, another strange thing has happened... if i eat when i'm stressed, it comes right up or it hurts for a couple of hours.

pain avoidance!!! a valuable tool here. but why not just get better able to handle stress???? if anyone has any ideas here, that would be great!!!

chewing gum.. drinking water, distraction, actually coping with the source of the stress [now THERE"S a creative thought!]

or maybe mindful eating? knowing what i'm doing when i'm doing it instead of that unconscious hand to mouth food thing.

as you can see, this is definitely a work in progress!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:01 AM   #6  

My willpower is the weakest when I didn't plan. Hmmmm I wonder if that's a coincidence. I think not!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:30 AM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

CS i agree with that one. stress and no plan for survival!! for me at work it is OK as i bring my food with me. I am within walking distance for McD and wendy's but i have a limited time and am very tempted bt by the time i get there i have my willpower up and can be strong when there as long as the gal with me does not flaunt her FF's at me.
I am working on my goal keeping and focus.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:30 AM   #8  

I'm home all of the time, I find that if I do not have some project to keep me busy, I EAT. So, I paint, I sew, I read, and I chew lots of gum and drink lots of water. If I can keep myself busy, I don't think about eating that dozen muffins I made for the kids this morning.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:17 PM   #9  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

ahhh willpower... mine goes away any time hubby is home...lol, more than we love to eat, we love to eat together!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:22 PM   #10  

My willpower suffers on the weekends as well. The weeks for me are much more structured, so I have a harder time on the weekends.

But mostly, my willpower is almost nil in social gatherings, such as a birthday party or going out with friends. I always think "well, everyone else is having some cake (or any other fatty, unhealthy food), why can't I??!!"

I have found that having a plan of action works wonders for me. Mentally visualizing what I am going to do, & how I am going to respond really helps me stay in control.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

What I find disturbing is how many people try to shove food down your throat. At a party, they'll ask, "Would you like some ____ (fill in the blank with fat laden scrumptious food)?" And you, like a good girl, say, "No thank you." And after the second of third time they ask, you say, "No, I'm watching what I eat, but thank you." And then comes the, "One little piece?" or "C'mon, it won't hurt you to have a little fun!" or "Oh sweetie, you don't need to worry about you weight, HERE (thursting a plate at you)."

It's so ghastly when people do that, I don't know how to react. I'm not sure if people feel uncomfortable with me expressing that I'm trying to lose weight or if they are projecting their own weight issues on me.

Oprah once called it sabotaging. I think that's a great way of putting it.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #12  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Jessica for me it is the evening or day 2-3. for me this is day 3 for being back OP (low carb and I had some one place and hold a plat eof cookies under my nose and see if i would cave. but i held strong as i know that if i ate one then i would be lost at this stage of the game. It sure felt great to say NO!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:31 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I'd say my biggest weakness is weekends. That when I have no structure, more free time (to eat!!) and hubby's around and although I love him to death, sometimes he's just no help at all!!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:15 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

As a lot of you know...
I am most weak at my MOTHER IN LAWS!!!

so glad to be home!!!!! 4 days at her house - not good!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 04:20 AM   #15  
missaprylj

I lose my willpower whenever I go out to eat!! Eyeyayiyayie! My new plan is to eat excruciatingly slow and picture my svelte self waltzing out of there with enough food in my carry-out bag to eat TOMORROW too.... (I always think people with carry-out boxes just look like they're in control!!!) Hope it works! Peace... think peace. -Apryl

Closed Thread