Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

Default What kind of foods do you eat regularly?

My husband and I are going to try Atkins. I will be going grocery shopping for all new foods. I am ok with breakfast and dinner, but I am having a hard time with ideas for lunch. For me it's ok because I have a mircowave at work, but hubby does not.
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Hmmm...on induction, I dunno...snacks are easy, up to 4 ounces of cheese per day and up to 10 olives per day. Maybe some grilled sliced chicken breast on top of a mixed salad, with some full-fat (no carb) dressing? Along with some shredded cheese on top?

BTW, welcome! Glad you are here!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #3  

Thanks! I was doing calorie counting, but got sick of it. I've done south beach and loved it and lost quite a bit of weight. But I can't seem to stick to it. So I'm trying this. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I usually pack a salad for lunch with ranch and chicken salad with mayo on top. It's really filling and nothing like 'diet food' at all.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

When I worked outside the home, I would prep foods on week-ends and prepare chicken salad and egg salad, etc....and then put some in containers and take one to work every day. I would also get just a garden salad in the cafeteria sometimes and then mix my chicken or egg salad into it....did not even need any sort of dressing thanx to the mayo.

I still prepare those salads even though I don't work outside the home anymore. For instance, I have to travel for the day with my brother and I'm going to bring a container of egg salad with me that I made in advance.

Prepping on days off is great for Atkins. Many will make a large, crustless quiche with eggs, cheese, veggies, bacon, etc....and then cut a slice to take to work and microwave for a quick breakfast....and there's probably 8 slices in a nice-sized crustless quiche. When I make veggies....like steam them and add butter and shredded cheese, I will make the entire package and just divide it into servings....and then heat a serving later...even for a snack.

Once you get to the appropriate OWL rung, a great snack is some nuts...very easy to stick in your purse. I usually do almonds, as they are very low-carb. Heck, in a pinch, you can even have some nuts for lunch and then get your food in at dinner. On Atkins, I'm never ravenous so don't need large meals and having to get just a snack for lunch is never a problem for me.

One time, during jury duty...the rest went to this pizza place for lunch...so I walked around, sightseeing in the city and finding difficulty finding any Atkins friendly foods, I just stopped at a news-stand and got a bag of pork rinds....and that held me until I got home.

I always make it a point to prep and prepare food to have in the fridge, though. It's always great to have right there if you're in a rush, etc.....so that you ALWAYS stay on plan with no problem

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #6  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I just read liver is banned but then I read previously that organ meats are limited to 4oz/day. What gives? How big is 4oz? Why would anyone want to eat liver in the first place?
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybjones View Post
I just read liver is banned but then I read previously that organ meats are limited to 4oz/day. What gives? How big is 4oz? Why would anyone want to eat liver in the first place?

I second that! Ew!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #8  

yeah I dont eat "innards" ROFL!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm a student, so I don't always have access to a microwave but I like to have lettuce wraps for lunch. I'll bring some sliced meat (chicken, beef whatever) that I've cooked in the crockpot, some mustard or mayo a couple slices cheese and make a mini wrap with the lettuce. I switch it up by making spicy mayo or a roasted garlic mayo and different kinds of cheese.

I'll also eat egg salad, chicken salad or salmon salad in the wrap as well.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I make casseroles so this way I don't have to keep cooking! They can consist of either chopped meat, sausage, chicken, with either broccoli or cauliflower. Some casseroles I cut up in pieces and freeze since I live alone.

Then there are the veggie casseroles with no meats. Those are great too!

I also love eggs. Lately I prefer the hard boiled eggs over scrambled. Lots of great recipes for hard boiled eggs such as deviled eggs, or I just make egg salad to put on top of lettuce. Eggs are very filling and I think they are high in protein. For some reason I crave eggs, don't know why..

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #11  
Jessica

S/C/G: 210/202/160

Height: 5.2

My new thing is making Stir Fry.. chicken or beef, mushrooms, broccoli, whatever with soy sauce, oil, and sometimes chicken broth.. saves well and gives me my asian fix.

Also smashed cauliflower with butter! YUM YUM

Steamed broccoli

tuna salad on letus with cheddar cheese

and of course eggs and bacon for breakfast.. never gets old
JessicaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #12  
cher37

egg omelette w. diced red & green peppers, onion, cooked sausage round & melted cheese on top

greek salad (lettuce, black olives, red onion, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes & olive oil oregano black pepper vinagrette)

spinach w. sliced hot chicken breast sauteed w. spanish onion, ranch dressing & shredded mozzarella cheese on top

tuna w. mayo wrapped in lettuce

baked brocolli w. garlic & red pepper flakes

baked cauliflower w. parmesan cheese & black pepper

cucumber slices w. reg. cream cheese

celery sticks w. vegetable cream cheese

pepper slices w. hummus or tzatziki dip

baked cheese "chips" (yummy substitute for chips or cheezies)

... ok now, I better quit (I'm making myself hungry) & get to bed
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #13  
Gone for now!

I love eating steamed broccoli, it's just so yummy.

and for breakfast I like to have breakfast burritos with low carb tortillas with...eggs...and bacon....and cheese, it's really tasty and it doesn't have too many carbs.
Starify is offline   Reply With Quote