Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #1  
Julie

S/C/G: 200/167/145

Height: 5'7

Default Hello from City of Brotherly Love!

Hi Everyone! I'm new to these boards and would love to reach out for some support (and of course offer some too!). I'm a single 33 y.o. who lives in Philly and works as a school counselor. My ultimate goal is to be a child and family therapist although it's way down the road. Gradually over several years I have lost about 30 lbs. Mostly just from changing the horrendous eating habits I had in college and leaving the couch a little more often

I tend to do the best when I'm planning what I eat for the week either a few days or a week in advance. I usually plan my meals using Weight Watchers points, as I find the structure and forced portion control really helpful. My biggest pitfalls in weight loss are planning, eating impulsively, when I eat out I tend to eat way past the point of full, and making time for exercise and overall CONSISTENCY.

I've noticed the scale creeping higher and pants being tighter. I want to nip it in the bud and just finally lose this weight. Ever since I can remember I've been anywhere from pudgy to heavy. I've never been fit or thin. I don't even know what it would feel like. My reasons for wanting to lose the last of the weight are: confidence building (especially with dating), wearing more stylish, fitted clothing, and having more energy. I also come from a long history of obesity and obesity-related illness and am fighting this legacy tooth and nail.

I'm really making a commitment to plan my meals and exercise (mostly running and weights) at least 3 times a week. I also just got Judith Beck's book and am going to try some of the ideas in that book. I would love a buddy or someone to email back and forth with.

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to get to know you all
julesrules76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Welcome!

I also find that I eat more when I eat out. For me, it's because they give you so much food! I feel like I "have" to eat it to get my moneys worth... intsead of asking for a doggy bag and saving some for the next day.

You can do it! Stay positive and focused.

Last edited by SNMomof1; 01-20-2010 at 06:15 PM.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #3  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Jules!
Sounds like you're ready to get this done with a good plan and a can-do attitude - how smart to make your priority health and not just a number - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on..

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the 30 somethings, the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote