Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Question What's up with my Scale?

I bought a new scale...it's nice...it's expensive, it measures weight, bone mass, body fat and hydration level. It also saves 12 weigh-ins. and can hold records for 4 people... its very nice and I had to talk myself into getting it.

So...My old scale seems to read 6 pounds higher than the new scale. but my problem is this:
I kept my old scale just because and all this week my new scale has shown a nice slow weight loss. this week my new scale says I've lost over 3.5 pounds...but my old scale didn't budge at all. it says I'm maintaining.

so Did I lose or did I maintain? do I chuck my old scale out and never think about it anymore?
In fact today it's says I'm 10 pounds lighter than the old scale says. (230 rather than 240.5)I know a pound lost Is a pound lost, but do I fix my ticker?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hon, you have to choose one scale and stick to it. You can't go back and forth. If you're going to keep the new scale, then forget about the old one and stop weighing on it.

You'll need to adjust your ticker to the difference between the two scales--because when you switched scales, you didn't "lose" 6 pounds. So, give yourself a lower start weight to calculate your loss overall.

All this assumes that there isn't anything wrong with your new scale--which I don't think there is. I imagine that your old scale is messed up in some way (no pun intended).

Get a ten pound bag of something, like sugar or flour or pet food, etc. Weigh it on both scales. The scale that says closest to ten pounds is the more accurate one. To be more accurate in your weight range, weigh yourself on both scales with and without holding the ten pound bag. The scale that gives you closest to a ten pound difference is the more accurate one.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

All this assumes that there isn't anything wrong with your new scale--which I don't think there is. I imagine that your old scale is messed up in some way (no pun intended).

I agree to just stop using the old scale. But in the short run, just to make you feel better, is there anyone else who can weigh in on the old and new scale to ease your mind? I know the mental struggle of second guessing yourself. Am I really losing? Or am I just maintaining. That sucks. If you can move on and just use the new scale, great. But for peace of mind I think I'd have someone else weigh in too.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Get a ten pound bag of something, like sugar or flour or pet food, etc. Weigh it on both scales. The scale that says closest to ten pounds is the more accurate one. To be more accurate in your weight range, weigh yourself on both scales with and without holding the ten pound bag. The scale that gives you closest to a ten pound difference is the more accurate one.Jay
I tried this with my new digital scale and my analog scale. imagine my surprise when my $5 analog scale gave me numberous & consistent measurements. Who 'ave thunk it.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm with the girls when it comes to dropping the old scale and forgetting about it. I do like the idea of the flour bags to determine the differences but I would just cut my losses (no pun intended, lol) and trash the old one and stick with the new one.

How old is your old scale? Maybe it is broken!
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote