PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 10:19 AM   #1  

Talking Newbie from England !!!

Good Afternoon All !!

My name is Tracey and I am a fat chick in Surrey ! I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS which has accounted for my HUGE ( ) weight gain. I am 5 foot 1 and now weight 18stone 1lb. I have been prescribed Metaformin which I am going to start taking tomorrow coupled with a brand new excercise regime (god help the swimming pool !!) and a low carb diet - apparently low carb is reccommended for people with PCOS ! Anyways - wanted to drop by and say Hello, introduce myself and hopefully make some new friends ! I would love to hear from anyone and everyone - especially people that have as much to lose as me !!! My goal weight is 9 stone although this is obviously a LONG way off I am taking it one step at a time !

I am 27, Single and live in Surrey.....Hope you are all well on this Sunday afternoon and look forward to hearing from you all soon

Take Care

Tracey

P.S - I am aso lurking around the Soul Cysters message board - great site !!!

Old 08-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #2  

Hi there and welcome!!! Glad you found us. It
so nice to talk to others who can really understand and relate.

I too am on Metformin, so if you have any questions, please let me know. You will be ill for a bit, but it's worth it.

How were you diagnosed with PCOS?

Old 08-05-2002, 05:57 PM   #3  

Talking Hello !

Hi Jennifer

Thanks for replying Today was my first day on Metaformin and I can honestly say that so far I have had NO side effects at ALL !! Fingers crossed that that will continue !!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when my Doctor mentioned that she thought that that might be what was wrong with me - I had all the classic symptoms - Excess hair, no periods for months on end AND I put on LOADS of weight for no real reason ! I am so glad that I finally know whats wrong !!

The one question I do have is - do you know if its ok to Low Carb and take Metaformin at the same time ?? I read in the little leaflet that came with the medicine that you can not take Metaformin if you have been in Ketosis... I haven`t been in Ketosis and don`t want to be really ... Just want to work on around 35-40 carbs a day - is this dangerous ??!!

Hope you are well

Take Care, Much Love,

Tracey xx
Old 08-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #4  

Hi there. Well, by now youmay be feeling the side effects of the Metformin. It does take a day or 2 to kick in. Just remember to take it with food. Don't wait 20 minutes after your meal, take it during. That has helped me.

Honestly, I never saw that warning about being in ketosis and taking Metforming. I will have to look into it.

BUT it really is mandatory for those with PCOS to follow a diet with restricted carbs. The amount really is up to you and how your body handles it. My doctor, actually a few doctors backed this up for me after I did alot of homework on the internet. So, yes it is safe, and it really is a must. You will not do your body any good following a diet that is high in carbs. And you may notice that while on Metformin, the side effects may increase after a meal full of high carbs. It does for me.

I try to get my carbs from veggies or high fiber cereals, ect. I try to stay away from the "man-made" foods. Seems to help alot.

And as always, chugging that water will help too. What did your doctor say about a diet?

Old 08-08-2002, 06:32 PM   #5  

Hi Jennifer ( and everyone else!!)

Just a quickie before I go to bed !!! I have been low carbing for 4 days now and today ( well this evening) the side effects from the Metaformin finally kicked in !! I am handling it though so fingers crossed I will be ok !!

I am going to be weighed at the Drs tomorrow night so I will be sure to post when I get back to let you all know if I have lost and if so how much ( I am hoping for 4lbs !!)

I also wanted to tell you all about this amazing Dr I went to see on Wednesday. I was supposed to be seeing my Dr about low carbing and Metaformin and whether or not it was ok and when I got there my Dr wasn`t there and I had to see a stand in. I wasn`t too happy about this as I thought that a stand in wouldn`t know my history or anything about my IR and PCOS ...Boy was I wrong !!! Not only did the Dr that I saw have PCOS but she too was overweight AND she is doing Atkins. I was amazing. I could totally relate to what she was saying. She completely understood where I was coming from, was really supportive and so knowledgeable about PCOS and IR and Low Carbing - it was great ! I was in there nearly an hour ( I was the last patient of the day so I didn`t hold anyone up !!) it was so refereshing !

Anyways ... I`ll post tomorrow and let everyone know if I have lost etc..

I`m off to bed now

Night !

Love, Tracey xxx
Old 08-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hi Tracey! Welcome to 3FC! It is still quiet on the PCOS threads. It is a new forum and we are still building a family here! I'm glad you have joined us and look forward to hearing more about your progress!

How did it go at the doctor, did you lose the 4 pounds you had hoped for? I've not heard anything about not taking met while in Ketosis, either. Must be something on the UK inserts!? I am also on a low carb diet. When I started paying attention to my diet, I noticed some decrease in my PCOS symptoms.

That must be nice to have a doctor that also has PCOS. That would definitely make me feel like I was in the right hands.
If the Met starts bothering your stomach, just hang in there. The symptoms usually pass!
Closed Thread