Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #1  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Default December Week 1 Thread

Petra, ask and ye shall receive...

ICUWishing, which of the Penzey salts do you use? I sometimes sprinkle their Sandwich Sprinkle onto an egg, which is heaven! And, my DS10 would rather forgo a sandwich than have a sandwich that forgoes Sandwich Sprinkle. Too funny... I am a huge Penzey fan; they have a store in the city, so every time I go in, I swap out one of my old spices to theirs...

Life is good here, although chilly, at 34. And I had to literally ARGUE with my sons to get them to wear a winter jacket. What's with that??! I'm drinking my coffee, doing a little work, and then heading down to the elliptical. I have 2 new large print books to choose from, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood or Paint It Black (which is by the woman who wrote White Oleander, which I really enjoyed).

Oh! And for those of you using Mozilla Firefox -- I installed an add-on last night called Ad Block Plus, and it has gotten rid of the banner ads and makes loading a whole lot faster... you may want to check it out.

Last edited by newleaf123; 12-01-2009 at 09:52 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

newleaf - thanks for the heads-up with Mozilla! I've been using that one with this site for a while and it does make a HUGE difference. I'll have to get the ad blocker tonight!

Oh, gosh - it might be easier to answer what salts I DON'T use, ! There's a Penzeys near my piano teacher's place, so we have an opportunity to go almost every week. The 4S blend is the one I started with, and then they brought out the Spicy version. That's just fantastic on eggs, and it's also stunningly wonderful on popcorn (with just a smidge of butter to hold it on). Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle gets big play on salads and Northwoods Seasoning goes in almost every soup. Turkish Seasoning ends up on virtually everything that hits the grill, be it pork or chicken or even fish. I should take a picture of our spice drawer - I think the only thing you don't find is curry because Head Chef is not a fan! Living with a total foodie who knows how to cook has its advantages, like having to sign up for 3FC membership!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #3  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. The site being down so much got me out of the habit of posting. Perhaps their attackers have stopped???

Newleaf, I will download the add-on right after posting here. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not a salt connoisseur. I just like sea salt but as I'm hungry, ICU's post was making me hungry.

Thanksgiving was good and I overate. First time in over 1.5 years. And I got right on track Sunday. Yaa-hoo!!! So that was a worry eradicated.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #4  
Heidi

Good to see you, Marie. I was wondering where you were... I'm glad all is well and you were able to bounce right back on track.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Marie: Welcome back!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

ICU, I think I remember reading on the old thread your question about Lose It! calorie counts being too high. I thought that too. But then I started wondering. So I began weighing some items in grams then multiplying them by calories/gram and was so sad to see they were right based on the Govt food database. The saddest was the "cost" of my beloved peaches. Second was naked potatoes. So now I know the cal amounts for Lose It are right as they're pulling from that same Agricultural database. Bummer, huh???
Marie
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #7  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ladies! I'm home...i'll read through and catch up tomorrow - I have good news, and I have even better news!

The good news for me is the scale didn't budge. I went a full week at Disney and didn't gain a pound....

The even better news is that I traded 7 pounds of fat for 7 pounds of muscle, and lost close to 4 points on my BMI...which made my Doctor give me a big thumbs up! (last checked in with her 2 weeks ago)

I'll play catch up tomorrow.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Marie - nuts!!! I guess the good news is that it can only get better for me, because I've been doing just fine with the old values. Such is life! Seems like the allowance to lose 1/2 pound a week is higher too, so maybe it all evens out. Thank you for the correction!

lambchop - congrats! Those are some very, very impressive numbers!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lamb-that is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Marie-welcome back. We missed you.

ICU-I'm a total foodie too but unfortunately I have moved to a cultural dessert here in Mississippi. It can be difficult to find some things here. Your husband doesn't know what he's missing with curry though. I think I could eat curry powder on a car bumper as Emeril says.

Only 24 hours more of call. It's almost over. At least for a few weeks.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #10  
Deb

Hi to everyone...

Today I have to get back to working out. I haven't for the last two days - as breathing has been an issue...I came home with a sinus infection and have been super congested

I am looking forward to getting moving again, because I feel like a slug after all the walking I did last week. I did get 1 run in during the trip, but then did mostly walking

Glad to see everyone, read and caught up with a bunch of stuff, and i'm ready to take on this Dec to January challenge posted on the other thread.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #11  
Lifelong Journey Member

Lambchop, congrats and doing so great on vacation. I love coming back from vacation and having not gained or have lost. It’s like a special welcome home treat.

ICU, I was thinking the same thing when I realized that some of my intakes were higher calories than I’d originally thought. If it’s working, don’t fix it is my thoughts. And I don’t look at their allowances – I know my calorie limit and just use it to track it.

Petra, I’m just picturing you chopping on a car bumper sprinkled with curry. I suppose it’s not high in cals… You’ll make those final 24 hours. You’re almost there.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I also like the visual of the car bumper. I happen to love curries - the spicier the better - so I usually get them when we go out to eat. That way I don't have to listen to the inevitable "I could make that better at home," nor do I have to worry about my leftovers disappearing!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #13  
Deb

I don't know if - or think I've ever had curry?? Or have I? is it in a typical dish i wouldn't expect???

Funny, I hear people talk about it, but I don't think i've tasted it
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #14  
Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
I don't know if - or think I've ever had curry?? Or have I? is it in a typical dish i wouldn't expect???

Funny, I hear people talk about it, but I don't think i've tasted it
You can find it in Indian food or Thai food... so, if those aren't cuisines that you typically eat, chances are, you haven't had curry...

Me, I love curry. I make a curried chicken salad that is scrumptious!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lamb-curry is usually not something you run into by accident. Unless you eat a lot of asian/ethnic type food, you probably haven't had it. There is a restaurant in Bethlehem on Broad St. that serves a lot of thai and other asian food including curries. It's a converted house and I can't remember the exact name but if you wanted to venture over there and try it, it's a good example.

I'm in the home stretch on this call. I think I'll make it. I ordered some game meat which arrived today. It comes packed in dry ice. I got a couple squabs. I don't think I'll get those again-they are tiny. I also got some guinea hens-they look like good size birds, and a couple rabbits. The big surprise is I ordered a wild boar tenderloin and was only expecting it to be about 12 oz and it was almost 2 lbs so I cut it in half and will get two servings out of it. Hope it is good. I'm still a little perplexed about what you serve with rabbit although some of my recipes are all inclusive-have vegetables as part of the recipe. I should get to try one of the tenderloins by the end of this month. Haven't quite figured out when the others will make it into the menu yet. I'll let you know what I think when I try them. Hope I haven't grossed anybody out.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote