Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

Default Shame-based dieting?

I came across this article about the new Twitter diet option, where you publically tweet your food intake:
http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/10/26/...based-dieting/
I found a whole bunch of articles that supported the idea that publically sharing your daily food intake was a shame-based form of dieting. Putting what you eat "out there" allows others to pass judgement and this "fear" or shame in what you do makes some people feel more accountable.
On this particular forum, there are a whole bunch of "diet accountability threads" where members can publically post their intake for the day. This too is publically accessible as anyone can come to the site and surf around and read what you eat. Seems to me that the concept is the same. It surprised me that doing this was considered to be shameful!
Is publically recording your intake a shame-based form of dieting? Is it healthy? Or helpful?

Last edited by misskimothy; 11-05-2009 at 11:13 AM.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #2  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I think it would be fine for people who do not tend to beat themselves up for not being on plan. The fear factor does work very well for some people. I think it really just depends on what type of personality you have. If it leads to a lot of negative thoughts about yourself, though, very detrimental. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to do it very well, as I have finally gotten over beating myself up - I don't need to relapse! I think for the most part, weight loss journeys should be positive.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I think it would be fine for people who do not tend to beat themselves up for not being on plan. The fear factor does work very well for some people. I think it really just depends on what type of personality you have. If it leads to a lot of negative thoughts about yourself, though, very detrimental. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to do it very well, as I have finally gotten over beating myself up - I don't need to relapse! I think for the most part, weight loss journeys should be positive.
I agree.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I hate shame-based dieting. But I think it's a bit much to declare that posting your food equals shame-based dieting.

First of all, there are lots of reasons to post your food. To do it because you think it will embarrass you into good choices is only one of them.

Secondly, others passing judgment does not make it shame-based - only *you* can shame yourself. You have to believe and buy in to what others say.

I think whether it's healthy or helpful depends entirely on the motivations and feelings of the person doing it, not on the fact of a public log itself.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That wouldn't work for me- I will post things I ate for the day on my blog- but I just do it for the heck of it- and to show off my food
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I think doing it in a positive environment, like 3fc, where you can get support and such is a good thing... I don't know that I would do the whole twitter thing, just because there would probably be some people who would come off more rude or hurtful than helpful.. that's just me though.

I do know that at least writing it down if nothing else helps to keep me accountable .
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

LOL. What's to stop people from lying about what they ate in order to avoid shame?
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, shame only makes me want to isolate and eat - and isolating/eating is a very deadly cycle for me.

I have to keep shame out of my weight loss as much as possible - that doesn't mean I avoid sharing embarassing details about my life. I find that kind of openness does invite commentary on my life - and I don't always love that commentary, but I don't really equate that with shame. I see it more as "asking for input," because sometimes another viewpoint or two can help me see something I might be missing. I don't see it as punitive or shame-based though - but education based. I don't need other people to punish me (and most of the time I don't even need me to punish me - I definitely need it less than I tend to do it, but I'm working on that). I do, though need other people to learn. If I only have my own viewpoint, I'm pretty limited. But reading books (other people's opinions), and talking to people, there's no limit to what I can learn - not only about the world, but about myself.

I don't think that's punishing or shaming, I think it's positive and awesome.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #9  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

ummm.. And also what is "shameful" eating for one is normal eating for the other. You could bash any kind of food ... OMG eggs, too much cholesterol! Wheat bread = too many carbs, olive oil/nuts - OMG so much fat!!

ETC.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

The take on posting daily food logs and equating it with "shame based dieting" kind of me made me think twice. Before I read the aricle I had never seen it in this light. After the article, I got confused so I wanted to get some opinions. Thank you for the input.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #11  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I don't think it's shame-based at all. I agree with the above poster who said that 3FC is a supportive environment in which to hold yourself accountable regarding exercise and food intake. I have a thread that I'm always recording my food/exercise intake. I'm congratulated when I stay on plan and I get support when I'm off plan. I don't focus on the lurkers who just read and don't post a response nor do I focus on members who read and don't post a response. All that matters is what I think of my own food intake. I know when I've overdone it and I'm good at shaming myself. I think writing it down just brings my overdoing to light and keeps me accountable. I'd be afraid to write it out on Twitter because I'm sure I would get rude responses. I think it depends on the environment.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I think it would depend on the person. Some people might like the accountability. "Do I really want my mom to know that I had 6 pieces of pizza? Maybe I'll have a salad...". Or, if you're isolated from people already, it could bring you together, similar to the "whats your daily meal plan" threads we make here. Or help you understand why you're not losing weight quickly enough if you could compare caloric intakes. A lot of people think they are dieting without really understanding how many calories they are taking in. "healthy" food isn't always low cal food.

Personally, I'd worry about the other side of it. Having to account for everything to myself is hard enough and I could see it triggering food issues really easily. I know I'd just stop eating, rather than having to admit to so many people the average caloric intake I need, which could easily be translated into my average weight. So, while I can see some benefits, there is just no way I'm changing my twitter over....
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #13  
Running With Scissors

S/C/G: 178/175/150

Height: 5'3

i don't think you should regard any food as "good" or "bad" so why should you put out there what you eat and let other's label what you eat? That's not particuarlly healthy for your body or mind. I think you need to learn to eat a little bit of foods that you want that aren't as good for you so you learn to control what you eat and reach your goals!
indiegrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #14  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I found shame-based dieting funny as a TV show (anyone remember "Starved") but do not think it would be productive. Having said that posting your food/meals can help you determine if you are eating hidden calories or may have an intolerance if you have stalled.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #15  

Height: 5'11"

I think posting your diet for constructive criticism could be a good thing for some people who, like CruiseCat says, are stalled or maybe are consuming hidden calories. In that way, a critique from supportive chicks here would be a good thing. But if the purpose was to try to "shame" me into eating well? No, thanks! I'm already too hard on myself, I don't need a bunch of cruel strangers trying to make me feel shame over what I eat or how much I weigh.

I think it sounds like a terrible idea. But then, I've also never bought the theory that you must tell a bunch of people that you are trying to lose weight or are exercising so that they will "hold me accountable." Nah. I'm accountable to myself and I'll be my own food police!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote