Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #1  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you get over intense cravings?

I find myself thinking of a specific food and then really really wanting it. Like there is a place nearby that has amazing buffalo chicken pizza. I haven't had it in a few months and I just keep craving it. They don't make it in a personal pizza size, though, and I don't trust myself to buy the pizza and leave it just to a taste at a time.

I do this often enough where it's bugging me now. I don't know how to get the cravings to go away...I can take care of it on a day to day basis, I guess, but overall, I still want these foods. And I keep thinking of them. Yesterday I caved and had some mole poblano, and a taco, and chips and salsa from a favorite Mex restaurant.

Eventually I hope to get to a point where I can just have a slice or two of the pizza and be fine. For now though...I really really want it, so conversely can't have it.

What do you do in times like this?
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #2  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

If it's something that I can eat and still be ok then I eat it. Seems like the more your put it off the worse it gets lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #3  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Can you share the pizza? that might make you feel more in control and you can still have your piece.
I always keep the m word in the forefront of my mind at all times (Moderation).
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I see how creative I can get cooking up the same flavors with healthy foods in a better portion size than I would get in a restaurant.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I would agree with getting creative and trying to come up with your own healthy alternatives! Lean Cuisine makes a really good Buffalo Chicken Pizza, I think. I had it the other night and I was really surprised. If you really want the pizza from that place, then invite some friends over and order it -- but send any leftovers home with someone else. And make yourself accountable to someone before the get-together (for instance tell a friend that you only want 1 or 2 slices and that if she sees you eating more, to gently remind you in private). I've recently learned that denying myself never works out in the long run. Of course, neither does catering to every food whim I have. It's a hard balance to find and it's different for everyone!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Best thing to do is have the darned pizza. Just round up a friend that will share it with you. Or bring a small size home and immediately stick half of it in the fridge for another time. Make room in your calorie budget for the day. Remember, the pizza is not the enemy here and you don't have to banish it from your life.

You said that maybe one day you'll be able to have a slice or 2 and be ok.... but that day will never come if you don't practice the technique of eating just 2 slices. THESE are the skills we should be teaching ourselves because avoiding certain foods doesn't address our ability to deal with them when they do spring up in our day-to-day life.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

It may not work for everyone but I find it best to just give in to the craving while it's still small and controllable.
If I want chocolate, it's safer to have a small piece now and get it over with than to be thinking about it for a week until an entire Halloween sized bag goes down the hatch.
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalgishake View Post
It may not work for everyone but I find it best to just give in to the craving while it's still small and controllable.
If I want chocolate, it's safer to have a small piece now and get it over with than to be thinking about it for a week until an entire Halloween sized bag goes down the hatch.
This is true...I treat food as the enemy and don't we always want what we can't have? We can't deprive ourselves forever. Portion sizes, portion sizes...
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Yeah, for me, when food is forbidden, I go crazy! I agree with the suggestion to gather some friends, and share the pizza.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #10  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Ok, thanks. I'll get some friends over for games soon and we'll all share the one pizza. And have salad too.
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #11  
Real Me in here Somewhere

S/C/G: 194.8/155/132?

Height: 5'1"

Anytime I deny myself something I'm really craving...I tend to binge on not only the food I wanted but added stuff as well

Great idea on inviting some friends over to share with you...Eat the slice/slices ...enjoy every bite and move on! Loved that you thought about having salad beforehand!

Have a great day!
Joan
GivTLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 216/205/120

Height: 5' 2"

Sometimes I have a craving to just eat something, anything. But this is more resistible than those specific cravings you mention, and I get those about four to five times a week. It's always for restaurant food too, like pad thai, poke, pizza, or Chinese. I could have just eaten a home cooked portion controlled meal, and not even be hungry, and I will get a craving. And 80 percent of the time I cave and order something. The times I don't are usually the times I just crawl into bed and try to go to sleep even if it's only 6PM, so when I wake up at 2AM it's impossible to order anything. But that's not really a healthy coping mechanism. And I only have three friends and two of them are kind of food-pushers, if you know the expression. So that doesn't help. I saw another post on meditating in the morning. Maybe we need to spend some time in the morning reflecting on a strategy for not allowing our short term urges sabotage our long term goals.
LadyBinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/150/150

Height: 1.7m

It sounds like you're experiencing intense food cravings, which can be challenging to manage, especially when faced with tempting foods like buffalo chicken pizza or your favorite Mexican dishes. Here are some strategies that may help you navigate cravings and make healthier choices:

1. **Identify Triggers:** Try to identify what triggers your cravings. Is it certain foods, emotions, stress, or environmental cues? Once you understand your triggers, you can work on finding healthier ways to cope with them.

2. **Practice Mindfulness:** When you experience a craving, pause and take a moment to observe the sensation without judgment. Acknowledge the craving without acting on it immediately. Mindfulness techniques such as deep breathing or meditation can help you ride out the urge and make a more conscious decision.

3. **Distract Yourself:** Engage in activities that distract you from the craving, such as going for a walk, calling a friend, or doing a hobby you enjoy. Keeping your mind occupied can help diminish the intensity of the craving and shift your focus away from food.

4. **Plan Ahead:** If you know you have a particular craving, plan ahead and find healthier alternatives or ways to satisfy it in moderation. For example, you could try making a homemade version of buffalo chicken pizza with lighter ingredients, or have a small portion of the craving food paired with a larger portion of a healthier option like a salad or vegetable side dish.

5. **Practice Moderation:** Allow yourself to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation, rather than completely restricting them. Allowing yourself occasional treats can help prevent feelings of deprivation and reduce the likelihood of overindulging when you do give in to cravings.

6. **Seek Support:** Reach out to friends, family, or a support group for encouragement and accountability. Having a support system can provide motivation and help you stay on track with your healthy eating goals.

Remember that it's normal to experience cravings, and occasional indulgences are part of a balanced approach to eating. Be patient with yourself and focus on progress rather than perfection. With time and practice, you can develop healthier habits and find balance in your eating patterns.
Read This FREE The foolproof diet Ebook, It Helped Me A Lot To Start My Weight Loss Journey.

Last edited by NahlaLoss; 02-22-2024 at 08:48 PM.
NahlaLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:18 PM   #14  

This post really relates to what's happening to me now. I'm really trying to fight the urge to eat all of my cravings. The more I try not to think about it, the more I crave eating it. Yesterday, I really wanted to eat some cake and was really trying not to, but I ended up eating 3 slices. I know this is not good, and I really want to change this.
Drew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:12 AM   #15  

I distract myself from thinking about it by watching a movie or going on a walk. I also eat fruits or yogurt just to fill up my stomach. It's not easy to resist cravings, but you can do it.
Liam15 is offline   Reply With Quote