Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #1  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Online dating trepidation

Hey all!

SO. I just returned from living in Uganda for 4 months (and now 8 months out of a LTR) and my friend convinced me to join an online dating site - Plentyoffish.com. I have been sending emails with this one guy for about a week or so and now he wants to go on a date this Saturday which is great! But I am so nervous to meet him, not because of safety concerns, but because I am afraid he will look at me and be repulsed or unattracted. I put up about 8 photos on my profile including several full body shots etc. They are all pretty flattering but I made sure to put ones up that weren't hiding my weight (though I definitely did not put up the horrible fat photos - you know, the ones that show every roll and double chin even when they don't exist!).

Am I just being paranoid? Why do we think that being fat is a reason to instantly write someone off, and why do I feel unworthy for it? It is crazy how many insecurites have popped up in my mind while doing this and I am not a normally insecure person. ugh.

Oh well. Any tips? Past experiences with online dating or blind dates?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I've never been in that situation, but i would think it is natural to feel nervous and a bit insecure, you're thinking about putting yourself in a situation where you might be rejected so it would be unusual to not feel those things. Since your photos have been relatively honest (probably more honest than most people on that site!) he is bound to have looked at them before wanting to organise a date. So I wouldnt be overly paranoid there I would just try to relax and enjoy it. And of course be safe!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Iconised Ghost. I've never been in a similar situation however if I were you I'd just go and be myself. He knows what you look like from the photos he wants to get to know 'you' better... So be yourself and go for it. Good luck!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #4  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking I say go for it!

The worst thing that will happen is he doesn't like you or you don't like him... Not the end of the world....

I am biased thought because I met my Fiance on Plentyoffish 2 years ago.... We are getting married on 11/7/09! We would have never met without POF!! Thing I will say is it is better to meet in person before having a long email/phone relationship.... What if you aren't attracted to each other... That does play a role as well. Good Luck!

Last edited by akacutie; 10-02-2009 at 07:52 AM.
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I have met a few guys from online dating and I always assume they dont like me because I'm fat...and I think that my pictures never do the fat justice... However I have found that most of them like me.... The last one really liked me and I loved talking to him but once we met it was miserable...he was so boring in person and I just wanted to go home...ugh... taking a break for a while
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #6  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

i'm coming up on my 2nd anniversary with my DH, whom i met on match, when i was about 20 lbs heavier. the best advice i can offer is, don't worry so much about if he likes you or not. he either will or he won't - you are who you are. i'd spend more energy on having a nice time and starting to figure out if YOU like HIM!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I wouldn't worry about it, just go and have fun. I've done online dating for years, and I kind of proceed the way you are - I put up pictures, some full body, some not (I mean I do get rid of the double chin ones, but whatev) and the guys that I've gone out with seem to have an idea before hand, and even when I was heavier, liked me for who I was (physically).

Just have fun Someone once told me to look at every date as if it were a potential job interview - even if it doesn't work out, you've learned SOMETHING from the experience

I wish you luck!!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I have met a couple guys from POF, the first one was just looking for booty call, the second one is still one of my good friends (I just didn't see him as boyfriend material) Him and I talk daily That was a really good experience.
I know a few couples who met on POF. I say GO FOR IT! If he is not interested because of your looks, there will be other guys that will be!. Life is short! Let us know how it goes

Last edited by luvja; 10-02-2009 at 01:11 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #9  

I met my husband on Yahoo personals in 2004. Married 2006 and we are coming up on our 3 year anniversary on 10/21. We have crossed paths about 100 times in our lives, but never met til the personals. Same college, same friends, same classes, his dad even taught at my elementary school!

My point is, you never know who this person is until you give him a chance, just like this guy is doing for you. He's seen your photos, so he really shouldn't be that surprised. And if you are worrying about yourself throughout the entire date, he will pick up on that! Be yourself, and you will find your fish!
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #10  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

I've done many online dating things, and I think I had only one guy who wasn't into me. (I wasn't into him either so I wasn't too stressed) Te first time I ever did something like that the one only wanted you know what.

But none of them ever saw my weight as an issue.
Im currently with my finance who i met online. He's the best thing that ever happened to me to be honest.

and I must say he probably is 99.9% sure what your body looks like since you said you have full length pics post. Is it such a bad idea to think he likes you no matter what?

I think confidence is what ever guy wants, so give it to him. Have fun. and if he isn't into you then just move on.

hope this helps you out!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/248/120

Height: 5'6"

wow i'm having similar thoughts right now! i'm talking to a guy, and i'm also really nervous that i don't look as good in real life as i do in my "good day" pictures. the one person i did meet online seemed to like me okay, but i'm still nervous about the guy who i'm chatting with right now...at first i only had a head shot, so i sent him a body pic just so he would know...idk, that i really am CURVY lol. anyway, i hope things go well for you (and me lol)!! i'm sure he'll like you just fine : )
yazmataz329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

I went out with a guy from POF for about 4 months. I see you're from BC too so if it's the same guy BEWAAAARE lol. I'm sure it's not though

Anywho, you put up honest photos so don't worry about him finding you unattractive or something. They may be your more flattering photos but I don't think anyone pudgy or not puts up gross photos of themselves so it's to be expected! I'm sure he put up his better looking photos as well.

I think people look better in person even then their best photos usually because you can see them smile and their personality shining through.

Good luck on your date! Remember to meet somewhere public and take your own vehicle.
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #13  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Thanks guys! The date is tonight.... dun dun dun.

I'll let you know how it goes!!
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #14  
Courtney

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/154

Height: 5'6 Age: 29

I hope your date went well, and if not there was at least something learned from it. I've had a few online dates, and I always have the same thoughts. I'm get really nervous because I don't try to hide my weight at all, but I also do pick the pictures that I look my best in. I haven't met anyone off of POF yet, but it's a pretty awesome site.
cormandy62442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

I'm registered on POF, and have been for several years, and I have had no luck. I've met one from there and found out he is a fruitcake and acts like he's high on life, not to mention he goes to pig roasts and well, he's just not my type and he called my family white trash cause we do "white trash" kinda things.. and I did not go for someone calling me white trash, so we haven't spoke to each other since.
But ya, I always thought guys thought I was ugly or fat on that site cause I've had no luck, even emailed alot of guys and I see they read their email and don't write back. Another guy I've talked to online from there sent me a nude photo of himself from his IM and right then and there I decided I wasn't interested in him because if he has nude pics of himself on his computer he must show them to women other than me and I didn't want another guy like my ex (he was the same way).
There are alot of fruity, sex obsessed guys on dating sites. I'm not so sure I wanna go on them anymore.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote