Weight Loss Support - Those that have reached your goal ?

mom4life
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Was it hard for you to believe you were either so close or that you finally arrived?

I'm 18 lbs from my goal and its hard to believe I'm so close. when I first knew I had 48 lbs to lose, it felt like an impossible mission. Now I can't believe how close I am to my goal. I keep thinking something will mess things up. My husband and I messed up the other day, so now I'm worried that I might have gotten pregnant, which will delay the whole process but is still a welcomed event none-the-less. I'm back in my skinnier jeans, just in time for the colder days ahead.

bargoo
10-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes ! I was actually surprised the day I stepped on the scale and saw that I was at goal. It seemed like the last 10 pounds were very stubborn but I persisted and finally saw success. If you are pregnant, congratulations and remember pregnancy will be so much easier and healthier for you if you are not overweight to start with.

JulieJ08
10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
It did feel really weird at first. But it just takes some time to get used to :)

Shannon in ATL
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
It felt weird to me, too. I'm mostly used to it now. :)

JerseyGyrl
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Even 5 years later....there are still times I look in the mirror & don't recognize myself!:eek:

nelie
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I've been my weight for 2 years and I don't recognize myself. Life does feel strange weighing 150 lbs less than I used to. I'm not sure if it'll ever feel 'normal'.

Thighs Be Gone
10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
It doesn't seem hard to me to believe. I do not have a full-length mirror anywhere in my home. Now and again I will catch a glimpse of myself somewhere and be surprised--wow..is that really me??? I also love feeling my kids hands wrapped around me and overlapping..it feels really great.

mom4life
10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I watch "I lost it" practically every day for motivation. I always wonder about those that lost 50+ lbs if they feel like another person when they look at old pictures of themselves.
I haven't seen 130 in 8 yrs. all my dreams are of me at that weight. Then I would wake up and feel sad. But yeah at this point, I can't believe I'm almost there again. its like a dream.

iDream
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Having just reached my goal yesterday, I can say that yeah, I still can't believe it. I mean, I've watched the number on the scale go down for months, but I'm actually at goal! Wow! I still don't see myself as 'skinny' or 'thin' but I'm sure that my brain will catch up eventually and stop seeing myself as fat. :)

nelie
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Congrats iDream!!!

mom4life
10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Congratulations iDream!!!!

kellost
10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm getting pretty close to my goal, too and it's unbelievable. I just need to keep with this and not just be happy with where I currently am. Because, where I am now is a LOT LOT better than where I was! I need to keep pushing to reach my goal.

Lori Bell
10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Every time I have reached my goal, I lower it down. LOL Originally my first goal was 175, then 158, and now 143. I will not move it again, and I have just a couple pounds to get there, and yes, I'm freaking out. I've never successfully maintained weight, but as it is, I'm pretty good at losing and gaining it. I'm scared to death at what reaching this ultimate goal will mean to me. My life is really weird right now.

Tai
10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
It's still really hard for me to believe and I've been maintaining for a year now!

It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who doesn't recognize herself in the mirror as well.

iDream
10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Congratulations iDream!!!!

Thanks so much! :)

losermom
10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Congrats iDream! You did it!

Lori, I completely understand about feeling kind of freakish right now. I'm having freakish moments everyday. It usually involves other peoples reactions to me and my current size. I too have lowered my goal weight a couple of times. I don't know if it's my unsatisfaction with the way I look at a certain/goal weight. Or if I want to see how low I can go. Is a lower weight maintainable? Can I still drink a beer and eat chocolate at a lower weight? For right now, I am continuing what has worked for me in the past--calorie counting, lots of exercise, water and rest. I am telling myself for now that my body will decide my final goal weight. I feel great physically but am still rather confused about how I really look to the outside world. Sometimes I feel positively tiny and other times huge. I still have a fear that I will wake up and be 248 lbs again...

Tonia
10-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Really? years later it still doesn't feel normal to be at goal weight? Honestly, that is a bit discouraging. I know this is something I have to work on forever but will it ever become second nature? :(

Windchime
10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm about 15 pounds from goal (well, my first goal....not sure it's my final goal) and in a month-long stall. Or we could just say I'm practicing maintenance, LOL. I think I need this time to adjust to where I am. Some days I feel slim, other days I feel like I still weigh 245 pounds. When I pick up clothes off the rack to try on, I am not very accurate at selecting the right size--I either get stuff that's way too big or too tight. I used to be better at being able to look at something and tell if it would fit.

My best friend told me yesterday that I'm getting too thin (at 197 lbs? F cup bra?). So apparently she needs time to adjust to my new weight, too.

I don't know why this body image thing is so confusing.

JayEll
10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Really? years later it still doesn't feel normal to be at goal weight? Honestly, that is a bit discouraging. I know this is something I have to work on forever but will it ever become second nature?

I think it depends on whether you have been obese/overweight all of your life, or if you developed obesity later. I was a "normal"-sized person until my 30s, and what I had trouble realizing was that I had become obese. It crept up on me. Now that I'm closer to my "normal" adult weight, I feel more like I always did. So, being heavy was abnormal to me.

Jay

mom4life
10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I know what you mean about the clothes. I still have my skinny clothes in my drawers. I'll grab a pair of shorts that look small and think "These won't fit but what the heck, lets try them on," to my shock.....they fit. I'm so used to looking at larger waisted pants that its shocking that I'm starting to fit into my old clothes again.
I've been MIA from my friends for a month due to my kids being either sick or bad weather. when they see me they gasp and comment on my weight. I'm not used to it because I know I've been losing but forget that these people haven't seen me in a while.
The cool thing is that these friends have decided to start a group to lose weight. One of them called to ask me questions and I gladly told her what I knew. I'm hoping I'm setting a good example.

phoenix
10-03-2009, 07:24 PM
This is a really great thread to read, thanks for starting mom4life! :)

losermom
10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I think it depends on whether you have been obese/overweight all of your life, or if you developed obesity later. I was a "normal"-sized person until my 30s, and what I had trouble realizing was that I had become obese. It crept up on me. Now that I'm closer to my "normal" adult weight, I feel more like I always did. So, being heavy was abnormal to me.

Jay

I think that JayEll is onto something here. I've been overweight or obese for the last 25 years, pretty much my whole adult life. My current weight is not the norm for me or the norm for others' perception of me. People are shocked when they see me. And Windchime, I've been getting those comments too. I had a close friend tell me in June, about 10-12 lbs ago, that I shouldn't lose any more.

Windchime
10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I think that JayEll is onto something here. I've been overweight or obese for the last 25 years, pretty much my whole adult life. My current weight is not the norm for me or the norm for others' perception of me. People are shocked when they see me. And Windchime, I've been getting those comments too. I had a close friend tell me in June, about 10-12 lbs ago, that I shouldn't lose any more.

Yeah, it's strange. I'm clearly not "skinny" by any objective measure. My best friend would never say anything mean or hurtful so I know she wasn't being catty; just expressing concern. She hadn't actually noticed that I lost any weight at all until Friday, and I think it was because I was wearing a pair of pants that I hadn't worn for awhile. I appreciate her concern but I honestly don't think I look too thin at almost 200 pounds; I think I'm just not weighing what she is accustomed to me weighing.

My mom has also made noise that I shouldn't lose too much more but I am discounting that because she's my mom and that's just what moms say!

indiegrlx
10-04-2009, 10:27 PM
i'm roughly 16 lbs from my first goal and it seems weird to be so close. i don't know what to do with myself. :-D lol

JulieJ08
10-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Jay

I agree. I was also normal weight until close to 30, then was increasingly overweight and then obese for about 10 years. It took a while to "see" myself as obese and really believe it, but I got there. Then after I lost, it took a while to get used to it again. But while I've gotten used to my current size again, I'm just barely starting to identify with my "old" self again.